Bow torque

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Fraser

Bow torque

#1 Post by Fraser » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:16 am

I just had the worst score of my life at the range yesterday, I'm torquing the bow again. I've always had the odd problem with this, just not to this extent. The frustrating part is that this seems to happen only on the range and not when I'm practicing at home. Does any one have a trick to help stop this?

Any help would apprieciated,

Cheers,

Fraser.

Fanto

Re: Bow torque

#2 Post by Fanto » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:55 pm

I tap my bowhand fingers on the grip dring the first few inches of the draw, as a reminder to not strangle the bow.

If the problem persists, perhaps try a bowsling. This helped me get over my fear of dropping the bow on the floor with a relaxed grip.

regards

fanto
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:12 pm

Could you give some more info on what type of bow you are shooting, grip type and how you are holding it as this may help with getting suggestions to help you further.

Jeff

Fraser

#4 Post by Fraser » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:08 pm

Thanks Fanto I'll try that.

Jeff, I shoot a longbow with a straight grip, I think I use a low grip? Most of the wieght is taken by the base of my thumb.

Fraser.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:49 pm

Because of your bow and grip style I would suggest the opposite to Fanto in that IMO you should have a firm grip of the bow and not a loose one. Try this little exercise. Use your bow arm and put it up in front of you and point at an object. You will probably find that your arm has a natural bend in it and your hand will be naturally canted. Now form a fist while keeping your arm in the same position. This is the way I shoot a bow.

Try doing the same with your bow in your hand and you will notice that it is canted and you have a slight bend in your bow arm. Also if you are gripping the bow correctly you should see that the handle (back to belly) will be in line with your forearm. The handle should fit between the thumb and index finger and the belly of the grip should be in full contact with the back (meaty part) of the palm of your hand. As you grip the bow firmly (not a strangle hold though) you should find the fingers push the bow into the back of the palm and in line with the forearm. You should find this firm grip actually holds the arm, wrist and hand steady and will resist any torquing of the bow.

As you draw your bow this type of grip also causes the strain of the draw weight to be pulled in line with the forearm - very important!!!

I see a lot of archers grip their longbows so that they have the belly of the handle sitting against the second joint of the thumb. This of course is to the inside of being in line with the forearm and naturally causes the wrist to want to collapse inward. This automatically causes torquing of the bow.

I hope I have explained that sufficiently so you can make sense of it all.

This is how I shoot my bows. It's not the best photo to show what I mean above but you can see how the handle is in full contact with the back of my palm and is being pulled in line with my forearm.

Jeff
First selfbow - at full draw.jpg
First selfbow - at full draw.jpg (35.95 KiB) Viewed 1799 times

Fanto

#6 Post by Fanto » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:56 pm

fraser

i should have asked what type of bow you shoot.

never mind ,my advice, i shoot recurve.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Fraser

#7 Post by Fraser » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks Jeff, that all makes sense and explains why I've been having these problems. There is only one or two other longbow shooters at the club (Mackay), and the one who is there most oftern has a locater style grip on his bow. I strugle to get the right advice at times.

No worries Fanto, I should have mentioned that I shoot a longbow originaly.

Cheers,

Fraser.