What is the true issue.

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

What is the true issue.

#1 Post by GrahameA » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:58 am

Moring All.

http://www.archery-forum.com/showthread ... post352046

For those who are interested in shooting more accurately this is should be interesting read - p.s. it is on AF.
Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
James would you say any of the top bows! will shoot better then the average Shooter will ever be able too?
All of the good quality bows I have tested with the shooting machine were capable of shooting excellent groups.
I have tested many Hoyts, a few PSEs, an AR, several Mathews.
I have also tested my Hoyt recurve in the shooting machine and it was excellent as well.

I have tested grouping with terrible arrow flight using several Hoyts and my AR - all were excellent.

The grouping was excellent regardless of arrow size (for the compound bows).
In my thesis I showed groups obtained using the AR34 and Protours of sizes 380, 420 and 470, and they were all excellent (at 35 metres each of the groups was less than 1/2 of the 10 ring of an indoor target face).
I have done similar tests, with similar results with my Hoyt Maxxis and also with X10s.

It is very important that the arrows are set up well, and in my coaching I see many archers getting that wrong.
For example, I see many archers setting their fletches with no angle, and then my testing shows that the groups are much worse.

I should perhaps add that with the shooting machine I am very confident that I could shoot a perfect score for a FITA 90, given most of the top quality bows, a well-setup set of arrows and no wind. I did try that at 90 metres with my old AR34 and a set of Protours - it very quickly got boring shooting 60s.

With my Hoyt Maxxis and a set of 420 Protours I shot 36 Xs on an indoor face at 35 metres.

That is: top quality equipment is inherently very good. It is we the archers that lose the points, not good gear.
Of course, the trick then is to set it up so that it is easy for us to shoot well (and for some gear it is easier to achieve that).
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

rmcpb

Re: What is the true issue.

#2 Post by rmcpb » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:45 am

Can't be right Grahame! I do the same thing each shot and they are still all over the shop. Now this bloke is saying I can't blame my bow !! :roll:

It supports what most of us have said for years when people "have" to upgrade because they have gone past their equipment.
Cheers
Rob Browne

Its OK to make a mistake,
Just try not to make the same one twice.........

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: What is the true issue.

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:05 pm

Yeah, I gave up blaming my bows for poor shooting long ago. :biggrin:

Jeff