upping the poundage?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Buranurra

upping the poundage?

#1 Post by Buranurra » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Hi all,

Am finding it easy to draw my 42# predator now and planning over the next few months to go a higher poundage set of limbs. I ideally want to go to a 60# but this is quite a jump me thinks. I cant really afford to purchase an intermediate step. What are your thoughts on such a jump?

Cheers

Jase
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

wishsong

Re: upping the poundage?

#2 Post by wishsong » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:07 am

Jase , why the jump ? Is there a particular species you are chasing or speed you are trying to get of the bow ?

42# easy is likley way better than 60# hard and in realistic terms it is a massive jump in poundage . It may not seem it for a shot or two but after a short while I feel that there will be a form collapse and loss of accuracy , short drawing etc .

I'd sugggest getting a set of 50# limbs maybe be a better choice ? 50# out of a fast bow like that Predator will , aside from Buff . absolutley kill anything in the country with a well tuned arrow tipped with a sharp broadhead .

Having said that , many people shoot 60 # and enjoy it so if thats what you want go for it .

If it were me , and this is all a personal choice , I'd get a set of 50's and never look back .

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:41 pm

Jase,

I also think an 18lb jump in one go is too much. Even a 10lb jump is a lot to get used to. Perhaps you could borrow a bow from some one that is say 50# and see how that goes for awhile. Maybe a club near you has a Trad bow is that sort of weight that you could try. Over bowing yourself is something you just don't want to do IMO.

Jeff

Buranurra

#4 Post by Buranurra » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:48 pm

wishsong wrote:Jase , why the jump ? Is there a particular species you are chasing or speed you are trying to get of the bow ?

42# easy is likley way better than 60# hard and in realistic terms it is a massive jump in poundage . It may not seem it for a shot or two but after a short while I feel that there will be a form collapse and loss of accuracy , short drawing etc .

I'd sugggest getting a set of 50# limbs maybe be a better choice ? 50# out of a fast bow like that Predator will , aside from Buff . absolutley kill anything in the country with a well tuned arrow tipped with a sharp broadhead .

Having said that , many people shoot 60 # and enjoy it so if thats what you want go for it .

If it were me , and this is all a personal choice , I'd get a set of 50's and never look back .
Hi Wishsong

Thanks for the response. I was intending targeting hogs and billys and was under the impression that 60# was required. What you say makes sense though and I will re-think this for sure. I wont be rushing into it.

THanks again
Stickbow Hunter wrote:Jase,

I also think an 18lb jump in one go is too much. Even a 10lb jump is a lot to get used to. Perhaps you could borrow a bow from some one that is say 50# and see how that goes for awhile. Maybe a club near you has a Trad bow is that sort of weight that you could try. Over bowing yourself is something you just don't want to do IMO.

Jeff
THanks Jeff,

I think I will put this on hold for now or at least see if I can try a heavier poundage out.

Cheers

JAse

Fanto

#5 Post by Fanto » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:09 pm

The majority of opinion on trad poundage seems to consider 43# a little light for medium size game such as deer, certainly in Victoria you cannot use it on Fallow or Red deer must be 50#.

However, my mate has a 45lb bow and having shot it at targets alongside my 60lb bow, I do not believe it would have trouble reaching through the vitals of a billygoat with an appropriate arrow in the mid 400gr range using a cut on contact 2 blade broadhead like a ribtek, widowmaker, tusker etc.

on the poundage issue for your next set of limbs, I have gone straight to 55lb in returning to the sport, moved to 60 and have 72# on the way. This has occured over a 4 month period and I have managed it by shooting 50-200 arrows per day every single day. the downside has been waking up every day for the first coupld of months with my fingers cramped into my hands, my hands cramped up toward my forearms and both arms cramped up against my chest. I now put 10 doz through the 60# which is more like 62# at my draw with no adverse effects and as far as accuracy, well at 20 yards solid 4 inch groups, 2-3" on a good day.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

wishsong

#6 Post by wishsong » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:00 pm

Jase , 45# will cleanly kill pigs and goats all day long . I hunted last year in New Zealand with guys using 45lb bows and they did fine , getting complete pass throughs on some very large bodied goats , enabling a 10 yard blood trail . My friend Rod Jenkins has repeatedly killed numerous large boar with a 42# recurve ... I am not advocating light poundage bows , but bows that enable repeatable good shots that enable quick results in the field .
Its shot placement , thats the key !

I personally prefer 50# + , but that is mainly because I am a Sambar hunter and its the law ... but there are so many variables regarding bow poundage that almost becomes a moot point . For example a high performing 45# hybrid bow , throwing a heavy arrow much faster than a slower , less effecient 60# bow with a mid weight arrow ? .. which is more powerful ? Perhaps poundage per se is a factor , but not the factor .....

But if you prefer 60# then go for it . I'd suggest going slowly as an injury can last a lifetime , denying you years of hunting and archery ..... some of us still carry injuries from overbowing ... it ain't pretty !
Plus its such a great sport I want to be able to keep shooting into my dotage .....

I'd suggest that genuine accuracy with 55# + bows is achieved by fewer archers comparatively than such accuracy is with sub 55+ bows . It sure can be done ... but I believe it takes a lot more work .

Fanto ... have you competed in an indoor round ? Consistent 4" groups at 20 yards with that set up is great shooting man ... congrats !!!
I don't think the Oz FITA indoor barebow recurve record would be safe ! ...

Buranurra

#7 Post by Buranurra » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi Fanto and Wishsong

You both make really good points. I think I will take some time to digest your thoughts. There is no real rush and new limbs are not cheap so I will ponder this further.

Mank thanks

Jase

flyne

#8 Post by flyne » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Jase I use to do a lot of hunting with a 55# Hoyt pro hunter and a 90# long bow of bad designe and the recuve would get more pass threws on goats then the long bow both had good arrow flight but the long bow had terrible speed and cast
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

perry

#9 Post by perry » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:11 pm

I agree that 18 pound is a big step up. A well tuned 50# Bow of Modern Materials and design paired with matched Arrows is enough Bow for all but the biggest Critters. If you read Ed Ashby's report of reliable Broadhead Penetration through Bone he was putting 650 plus grain Arrows in one side and out the other side of a Asiatic Buffalo Carcass with a 45# Hill Style Longbow

I shot 60# - 80# Recurves and Compounds from 15 years of age because at the time as a solid fit Lad I could. Nearly 35 years later I am nursing a Crook Shoulder caused by heavy Bows and drawing such Bows straight up on green young Bones, with my Bow Arm extended instead of using a swing draw as advocated by such greats of Archery as Howard Hill and John Shultz. The swing draw activates more Muscles and promotes correct skeletal alignment to take the load of drawing heavier Bows. Technique is more important than strength when building up to heavier Bows

I have one of those Bow Fit surgical rubber tube thingo's that helps keep my Shoulder mobile. A mate gave me mine, it could be worth looking up where you can buy them, perhaps the Rubber from a Spear Gun could be adapted. I used to leave my Heavier Bows strung and every time I walked past them I would draw and hold them for a slow count of 5. Builds good strength.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Fanto

#10 Post by Fanto » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:47 pm

wishsong wrote:Jase , 45# will cleanly kill pigs and goats all day long . I hunted last year in New Zealand with guys using 45lb bows and they did fine , getting complete pass throughs on some very large bodied goats , enabling a 10 yard blood trail . My friend Rod Jenkins has repeatedly killed numerous large boar with a 42# recurve ... I am not advocating light poundage bows , but bows that enable repeatable good shots that enable quick results in the field .
Its shot placement , thats the key !

I personally prefer 50# + , but that is mainly because I am a Sambar hunter and its the law ... but there are so many variables regarding bow poundage that almost becomes a moot point . For example a high performing 45# hybrid bow , throwing a heavy arrow much faster than a slower , less effecient 60# bow with a mid weight arrow ? .. which is more powerful ? Perhaps poundage per se is a factor , but not the factor .....

But if you prefer 60# then go for it . I'd suggest going slowly as an injury can last a lifetime , denying you years of hunting and archery ..... some of us still carry injuries from overbowing ... it ain't pretty !
Plus its such a great sport I want to be able to keep shooting into my dotage .....

I'd suggest that genuine accuracy with 55# + bows is achieved by fewer archers comparatively than such accuracy is with sub 55+ bows . It sure can be done ... but I believe it takes a lot more work .

Fanto ... have you competed in an indoor round ? Consistent 4" groups at 20 yards with that set up is great shooting man ... congrats !!!
I don't think the Oz FITA indoor barebow recurve record would be safe ! ...
wishsong,

I should have added the disclaimer- In my backyard!! it always seems a lot more difficult when a little pressure is applied!!

Also, I was embarrassed because I didn't intend to "boast" so i thought I would keep myself honest so I just stepped outside and shot two ends of 6. this was the second 6, the first end wasn't quite as good, my brain needed recalibrating because I was shooting a PVC recurve i made for my little cousin. (a 15lb PVC self bow youth recurve shooting 450gr arrows is a fair bit different to a 60lb martin..) and that first group went a couple of inches right. also this was at 15 yards.

I've attached a picture of the group, the gold circle is 6"

cheers
Attachments
target.jpg
target.jpg (91.43 KiB) Viewed 3445 times
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Buranurra

#11 Post by Buranurra » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:46 am

Bloody good grouping Fanto!

wishsong

#12 Post by wishsong » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:34 am

Fanto...... either way its good shooting mate . Tourneys , IMHO are a great preparation for the pressure shots of hunting ... indoor comp, target , field etc leads to a good repeatable shot when the moment comes on a big stag ......
4" group is darn fine and something to aim for in comps i reckon ......

Fanto

#13 Post by Fanto » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:44 am

thanks for the kind words gents.

I went to a place called Archery Park on saturday, its 40 acres of bush with targets scattered around the place and a walking trail.

I can report that the FITA record and probably every other archery record is safe, on the other hand I wouldnt like to be a gumtree at Archery Park- they are definitely not safe!

hazard

#14 Post by hazard » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:15 pm

I hear what the majority is saying but I have different thoughts.

I first chose to invest in an 80# bow to take out a Buff and got 66# limbs for the same riser for every day shooting.

In the mean time Murphy and family have got in the way and for the next year or 2 the Buff wont happen but I seem to for some reason prefer the 80# limbs Dunno why :confused:

Taking the time to build up properly!!!! Reinforcing ligaments slowly and patiently.

shoot 3-5 arrows every second day until you can shoot 10. then 15 then 20 then 40 then 60 steady as you go. Always stop when your form is dropping. and if something hurts stop! Stretching is very important as I have found, and you find out where it matters.

But in hind sight when I drop back to a 66# bow my accuracy and style has improved immensly. :shock: :shock:

I shoot with Owen Mckarthy and Nick Lintern, what they have taught me has drawn attention to something we have forgotten over time and history Injury but most commonly more so Insecurity, Ausies always cut down the tall poppy, Yeah I know Ausie men have issues :roll: :roll:

Eoin shoots a 150# long bow but does his day to day field work with an 80# long bow. I am here to tell you his accuracy will put anyone before him hell bent to beat him!!!! He is always one of the runners up at Wisemans shoots.

Accept that with age you will loose strength but I now in hind sight would prefer to drop from 80#-66# than 60#-40#. But if you don't practice you lose it all !!!!

Apply yourself Practice build up reinforce but most of all only do it for your own reasons. Owen struggled to draw a 70# bow when he started.

You will be blown away with what you can achieve but don't do it if its not your choice.

Hazard
Attachments
This is Owen with the 150 # long bow made by Nick Lintern. None to my knowledge have invested this kind of effort and research than Nick and Owen in this country.
This is Owen with the 150 # long bow made by Nick Lintern. None to my knowledge have invested this kind of effort and research than Nick and Owen in this country.
owen.JPG (64.81 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Fanto

#15 Post by Fanto » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:20 pm

well said hazard.

if you want to shoot a heavy bow, you go for it.

cheers

Buranurra

#16 Post by Buranurra » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:46 pm

hazard wrote:I hear what the majority is saying but I have different thoughts.

I first chose to invest in an 80# bow to take out a Buff and got 66# limbs for the same riser for every day shooting.

In the mean time Murphy and family have got in the way and for the next year or 2 the Buff wont happen but I seem to for some reason prefer the 80# limbs Dunno why :confused:

Taking the time to build up properly!!!! Reinforcing ligaments slowly and patiently.

shoot 3-5 arrows every second day until you can shoot 10. then 15 then 20 then 40 then 60 steady as you go. Always stop when your form is dropping. and if something hurts stop! Stretching is very important as I have found, and you find out where it matters.

But in hind sight when I drop back to a 66# bow my accuracy and style has improved immensly. :shock: :shock:

I shoot with Owen Mckarthy and Nick Lintern, what they have taught me has drawn attention to something we have forgotten over time and history Injury but most commonly more so Insecurity, Ausies always cut down the tall poppy, Yeah I know Ausie men have issues :roll: :roll:

Eoin shoots a 150# long bow but does his day to day field work with an 80# long bow. I am here to tell you his accuracy will put anyone before him hell bent to beat him!!!! He is always one of the runners up at Wisemans shoots.

Accept that with age you will loose strength but I now in hind sight would prefer to drop from 80#-66# than 60#-40#. But if you don't practice you lose it all !!!!

Apply yourself Practice build up reinforce but most of all only do it for your own reasons. Owen struggled to draw a 70# bow when he started.

You will be blown away with what you can achieve but don't do it if its not your choice.

Hazard
Many thanks Hazard, great post I really appreciate your comments they are very insightful and make a lot of sense.

Cheers

Jase