nock finger?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Buranurra

nock finger?

#1 Post by Buranurra » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi all,

I have been flinging a fair few arras through my new predator lately (I am newly returned to archery). I shoot split and have been using a Saunders tab and varying this with a glove. The bottom tip of my index finger (where it comes in contact with the brass nock clip) is getting a bit of a hammering. No broken skin but a little sore. I am wondering if there is something wrong with my technique that I can look at or if this is just a normal "growing pain"

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jase
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

longbowinfected

Re: nock finger?

#2 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:36 pm

are you using a finger separator? might help.
Try to put 50% pressure on the finger under the arrow, 30% on the finger above the arrow and 20% on the lowest finger.
I use a KiSik Lee tab but they are pretty expensive. I used to use just a single layer Saunders.
I do have lightly calloused skin in the top finger.

Are you using a deep claw hold on the string with the string in the joints? The back of the hand should be relaxed. The heavy KSL tab achieves that for me. The tab leather is very short. I trim mine back after using talcum on the tab to see where the string line is.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Fanto

#3 Post by Fanto » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:58 pm

longbow infected,

the deep claw hold, just to be clear is this accepted as the correct hold?

i try to keep the string out of my fingers. release is good but pain-a-plenty

cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

little arrows

#4 Post by little arrows » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:09 pm

yep, ya get used to it, still hurts with a glove, if I get a bad release - or you damage the nerve and go to 3 fingers under. :biggrin:

cheers
sue

Buranurra

#5 Post by Buranurra » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:06 pm

little arrows wrote:yep, ya get used to it, still hurts with a glove, if I get a bad release - or you damage the nerve and go to 3 fingers under. :biggrin:

cheers
sue
Thanks Sue

Yeah, I think the callus will form pretty quick at this rate. It is not really a big problem, more so just wanting to get some advice to help me learn.

longbowinfected wrote:are you using a finger separator? might help.
Try to put 50% pressure on the finger under the arrow, 30% on the finger above the arrow and 20% on the lowest finger.
I use a KiSik Lee tab but they are pretty expensive. I used to use just a single layer Saunders.
I do have lightly calloused skin in the top finger.

Are you using a deep claw hold on the string with the string in the joints? The back of the hand should be relaxed. The heavy KSL tab achieves that for me. The tab leather is very short. I trim mine back after using talcum on the tab to see where the string line is.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin,

I am trying to use just the pads of my fingers on the string, the Saunders tab does have a separator albeit on that is pretty crappy in my opinion. I will investigate the KiSik tab and also try the tips you have given on finger pressure and relaxing the hand.

Many thanks

Jase

Jase

flyne

#6 Post by flyne » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:47 pm

I had a similar problem using a glove so I used the beer can idea out of this thred off trad gang
http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.p ... 2;t=000093
Cheers Jim
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

Buranurra

#7 Post by Buranurra » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Thanks Jim!

That look likes a good little trick. I am going to work on my form further to see if this helps, but will probably make one of these as a back-up.

Cheers

Jase

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:40 am

Jase,

Do you have your elbow at the horizontal position as you draw? If you have it pointing upwards at all this could cause your index finger to angle down a little and place unnecessary pressure on the nocking point. Also I haven't used a brass nocking point in I can't remember how many years. I just use a bit of dental floss wrapped around the string to form a bump and held in place with super glue as my nocking point.

Jeff

Buranurra

#9 Post by Buranurra » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:44 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Jase,

Do you have your elbow at the horizontal position as you draw? If you have it pointing upwards at all this could cause your index finger to angle down a little and place unnecessary pressure on the nocking point. Also I haven't used a brass nocking point in I can't remember how many years. I just use a bit of dental floss wrapped around the string to form a bump and held in place with super glue as my nocking point.

Jeff
Ahahhh, I think you might be right there. I think my elbow is a bit above the horizontal. So should I be aiming for a flat horizontal?

Cheers mate

Jase

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:53 pm

Buranurra wrote:So should I be aiming for a flat horizontal?
IMO yes.

Jeff

Buranurra

#11 Post by Buranurra » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:00 pm

Bewdy, it makes perfect sense and I will try this out - thanks Jeff!

Buranurra

#12 Post by Buranurra » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:58 pm

I now know that knowhow, nullifies nock finger, no nock finger now :biggrin: - say it fast 3 times!

Well, I have used all of the advice given and I am quite pleased that I haven't had a sore finger since my request for advice! Here is what I feel was my issues in order of priority.

1. Elbow above horizontal causing some pinch.
2. Too tense on my drawing hand
3. Perhaps a little tight to the nock with my index finger.

All in all it was a bit of what you all have considered - many thanks, a great place is this!

Cheers

Jase

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:03 pm

Great news indeed Jase. :biggrin:

Jeff

perry

#14 Post by perry » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:59 pm

One more thing if I may, When you Draw your Bow the string actually roles forward as you draw the Bow, by placing the string too close to your finger tips you create tension in the back of your draw hand as you struggle to keep it in place. Start your draw with a deeper hook down toward if not on the first joint of your fingers. Every body is a little different anatomically but please consider a deeper hook - you will find the string will roll forward to the correct position by the time you reach full draw

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Buranurra

#15 Post by Buranurra » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:16 pm

perry wrote:One more thing if I may, When you Draw your Bow the string actually roles forward as you draw the Bow, by placing the string too close to your finger tips you create tension in the back of your draw hand as you struggle to keep it in place. Start your draw with a deeper hook down toward if not on the first joint of your fingers. Every body is a little different anatomically but please consider a deeper hook - you will find the string will roll forward to the correct position by the time you reach full draw

regards Jacko
THanks mate,

I'd say I am drawing closer to the finger joint than the tip, probably 3/4 of the finger pad. I will definitely pay more attention to what you have described when I practise tomorrow morning and see where that takes me and experiment with this. What you say makes sense.

Cheers

Jase

Buranurra

#16 Post by Buranurra » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:12 pm

perry wrote:One more thing if I may, When you Draw your Bow the string actually roles forward as you draw the Bow, by placing the string too close to your finger tips you create tension in the back of your draw hand as you struggle to keep it in place. Start your draw with a deeper hook down toward if not on the first joint of your fingers. Every body is a little different anatomically but please consider a deeper hook - you will find the string will roll forward to the correct position by the time you reach full draw

regards Jacko
HI Jacko

I experimented with your suggestion today. Have to say that it worked really well. Drawing was easier and then I relaxed and rolled the string from out of the joint before shooting. Accuracy was good. I initially got a bit of finger pinch again but then applied the other aspects previously mentioned above and it worked a treat.

THanks for the tips.

Cheers

Jase