Transitioning from target to hunting bow.

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

stickslinger

Transitioning from target to hunting bow.

#1 Post by stickslinger » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:27 pm

Hey all,
I've been shooting a target recurve for awhile and now i have the bug to try a bit of hunting. I've got a new hunting bow on the way (Samick Sage 50# @ 28'') any tips on instinctive shooting?
I wanna do away with the sights and look at shooting three under. attempts at this with my target bow have been less then disirable (hitting everything but the target :lol: ) Do you look down the arrow and move your anchor up under your eye? or keep you anchor under your jaw line and just practice 'til you get the hang of it?
Thanks for your imput.

Bent Stick

Re: Transitioning from target to hunting bow.

#2 Post by Bent Stick » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:35 pm

Instinctive isn't gap shooting mate, bore a hole in spot the size of a gnats nut and let the grey custard do the work, it takes practice and a lot of it to tune your body to the brain. If you want to barge in and go for it you might need to think about gap shooting.
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

perry

#3 Post by perry » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:02 am

May I sugest you get yourself the Masters of the Barebow series DVD's. The DVD have excellent explanations by a series of highly skilled Barebow Archers. Rod Jenkins and Larry Yien are particularly informative. There is another excellent DVD, "Modern Traditional" where Ty Pelfrey explains String Walking and seting up his ILF Bow to Hunt with. You should be able to come up with all the information you will need to switch to Barebow

I could could pick a Fight here with Bent Stick [and everyone else] :wink: about the true nature of what is known as "Instinctive " but there is already Reams on the topic on this Forum :mrgreen:

You ILF Bow is a great Base for a Hunting Bow as well, there is a lot of Manufacturers out there making Hunting Weight ILF Limbs, you can buy or make Camo Socks to cover the Riser to eliminate shine.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Benny Nganabbarru

#4 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:35 am

Jacko's suggestion is good: "Masters of the Barebow" series of DVDs is exceptionally helpful.

Hey, if you want to shoot three-under, that's fine. Any style that works for you is fine. I used-to shoot split, but changed to three-under. The conventional thing is to anchor with your middle finger in the corner of your mouth still, and this automatically raises the arrow a bit closer to your eye. But you can kind-of hunch your face down closer to that arrow, too.

As for aiming, there are a couple of ways. One is to pretend that your arrow has a lazer beam going straight out from it. Project that imaginary lazer all the way into the target. Another is to use the tip of your arrow as a reference point, or front sight. For me, I pretty much put that tip on my target at hunting ranges, or just underneath where I want to hit.

Lastly, if somebody (like me) insists that you shoot a certain way, don't believe him! Maybe try it out, but have an open mind and try out lots of different ways (those DVDs are excellent for this). Some people approach shooting styles like politics or religeon, and think that there is only one right way - bollocks! Find your own way, and have fun!

And, keep your ranges close to begin with - even five metres.

Good luck!
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

stickslinger

#5 Post by stickslinger » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:48 am

Hey all,

Thanks for your help and support on this, good information there.
I try to shoot about an hour a day anyway, so i'm looking forward to the practice.
The new bow should be here in the next week, i'll let you know how i go.

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:00 am

Hi Perry.
perry wrote:I could could pick a Fight here ... about the true nature of what is known as "Instinctive " but there is already Reams on the topic on this Forum :mrgreen:
Let the games begin....aaggghhhhhhh.....................
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:57 am

Not interested in any fights but the OP said he wanted to shoot instinctive but most of the suggestions above have little to do with shooting in that manner. The Masters of the Barebow series (I have seen the first couple) are of little help as they mostly don't shoot instinctive but use sighting aids such as the tip of their arrow and gap shoot etc as Ben explains he does.

I'm not saying don't try the above stickslinger but if you want to learn instinctive shooting well I would suggest looking into the G. Fred Asbell books and DVD's. As mentioned above others will disagree but as Fred Asbell puts it, and I agree 100% with him, there are basically only two ways of shooting a bow and arrow. They are 'With a reference' as in using sights or the tip of your arrow as a sight as in gap shooting OR 'Without a reference' as with instinctive shooting. For instinctive shooting with its fluid style I also believe using split fingers is better than using three under.

Lastly, welcome to Ozbow and all the best with your shooting. :biggrin:

Jeff

wishsong

#8 Post by wishsong » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:29 am

When you say shooting "instinctive" do you mean you just want to shoot some form of barebow or do mean literally "instinctive" as Jeff suggests , with no use of any sighting refernce , arrow points etc ... ? They are all good ... I recently , in beginning train for field tourneys again have started 'gapping' again ... and sheesh it sure is accurate and repeatable ... but at heart I am an ol' skool instinktor

Ricky Welch , a multi time champion shoots his bow using 3 under and is an "instinctive "archer ... he has some dvd's availibale that have some great tips for setting your bow up to literally 'shoot where you look'

I wouldn't get to hung up on the sighting styles as the best of the best , regardless of the hows and whys of their sighting methods, will still shoot pretty closely in skill level .
Pick the one that tickles your fancy and personality type and have at it ...

then we need hunting pics !!!

personally i use different 'aiming ' techniques for different things ... 20 and under and I point and shoot ... after that I tend to use split vision and 'pick a point' ... particularly when past my point on .

ps ..... That Oly rig you are currently shooting will also make a fine fine barebow hunting rig .....

stickslinger

#9 Post by stickslinger » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:39 am

ps ..... That Oly rig you are currently shooting will also make a fine fine barebow hunting rig .....[/quote]

That was my thought too (with a bit of camo and heavier limbs..only 38#) but i can't resist a wood handle :wink: Somthing 'bout that ol' school look appeals to me, it's no Black Widow Bow, but the Sage should be a good starting point.

I'll take the sights off the target bow this weekend and have a crack at some of the ideas list above until the new bow arrives.

Good level of knowledge floating around this forum, good to see. glad i joined.

Bent Stick

#10 Post by Bent Stick » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Go for it Stick strip that puppy, you know about form and a constant anchor, stare a hole through a point different distances doesnlt matter how far when instinctive they are all about "that far" and just relax and let happen, the more you relax the faster you'll get it together, those that canlt do it just don't get it and outhink it all.

May the Farce be with you Stick

hazard

#11 Post by hazard » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:31 pm

Bent Stick wrote:Go for it Stick strip that puppy, you know about form and a constant anchor, stare a hole through a point different distances doesnlt matter how far when instinctive they are all about "that far" and just relax and let happen, the more you relax the faster you'll get it together, those that canlt do it just don't get it and outhink it all.

May the Farce be with you Stick
I couldn't have put it better :mrgreen:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:10 pm

Bent Stick wrote:Go for it Stick strip that puppy, you know about form and a constant anchor, stare a hole through a point different distances doesnlt matter how far when instinctive they are all about "that far" and just relax and let happen, the more you relax the faster you'll get it together, those that canlt do it just don't get it and outhink it all.
A very interesting way to put it mate. :lol:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#13 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:16 pm

:lol:

bigbob

#14 Post by bigbob » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:20 pm

:surprised: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :biggrin: :lol: :lol: :lol:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

danceswithdingoes

#15 Post by danceswithdingoes » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:39 am

Byron Ferguson's 'split vision' method is practical and quick to apply, here you focus on where you want to hit and become aware peripherally of the gap of the arrow tip to the target. I find if I concentrate on the tip too much, I shoot high, however if its done right I find it works well and is quite consistent.
ImageImage

stickslinger

#16 Post by stickslinger » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Man, you just can't beat these Perth winters...perfect weather for shooting.
I had a very successful "sight-less" weekend as i'm learning the ropes of this instinctive caper.

I found that shooting "split", and anchoring my middle finger in the corner of my mouth works very well.
I'm not really "aiming" more like "feeling" when it's right to release..seems to work.
at 15 yards i'm grouping very well and it's very enjoyable.

I set up a little range down the side of my house so i can get in regular practice, i'm hooked. :biggrin:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#17 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:16 pm

stickslinger wrote:I set up a little range down the side of my house so i can get in regular practice, i'm hooked. :biggrin:
Good news and just what we like to hear. Enjoy!!! :biggrin:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#18 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:28 am

Good one, keep at it......

Bent Stick

#19 Post by Bent Stick » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:04 pm

Sounds like you got it sorted mate just practice, practice and a bit more practice

Len

#20 Post by Len » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:35 am

Well done stickslinger and by the way when you throw a ball you just do it and thats how I like to shoot my self bows.
Hmmmmmmm.............

stickslinger

#21 Post by stickslinger » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Hey all,
Just an update to let you know how this is going, i watched a video last night on "string walk'n" and decided to give it a go. It felt a little wierd at first but once i got the hang of it, it was damn accurate.

At 20 yards my grouping is all in about 50mm!! in fact i heard a new sound as i was sending arrows down range...normally they hit the target with a dry "whack" but on one round a few of my arrows hit with a dull "woomp". to my delight i discovered i'd been shooting the nocks off the arrows i'd put into the target. Watch out Robin Hood!! :lol:

Previous to this i was a gap shooter...looks like i may be a "string walk'a" now :razz:

wishsong

#22 Post by wishsong » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:30 pm

stringwalking is devastatingly accurate ... just look at their scores in IBO !
it ain't my cup of tea .. for hunting I remain an instinctive pick a spotter ...
but I do have a rig being slowly put together for face walking / string walking for some FITA / IFAA stuff ... keen to give it a try anyway !

I also note that multi world champ Scott Antzac shot a massive whitetail this year .. from the ground in Wisconsin [ no mean feat apparently] using exactly the same 45# ish approx string walking rig he competes with ... he just smashed it up with spray paint .

Jimmy Blackmon on Youtube has a bunch of good video's on it and related fields .

perry

#23 Post by perry » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:56 am

Aaron I guess you where watching "Modern Traditional" or Ty Pelfrey on the Masters Dvd's. Go for it and good luck.

I think the biggest clue is not to commit yourself to a single method. None of them, Instinctive ???? included will suit every situation you will find yourself in whilst Hunting or when Range estimation proves difficult. I do not mean to sound condecending but no matter how good a shot you are or think you are, stay within the limits of your equipment and ability and a 45 yard shot in the Bush is a whole different world to a 45 yard shot on the Field Coarse. I won't get into the Ethical side of this argument, it's well trodden.

Personnely I shoot with a Split Vision Method to my point Blank Range which exceeds my self imposed max range whilst Hunting and Gap it from there to 50 yards, then switch to point of Aim to lob Arrows into 50 yard to way out there Targets.

I have set all my Bows up so that they have very close to the same point blank range. I manipulated Arrow Weight and the number of Strands in my Strings to acheive this. I can pick up any of my Bows and be on the money in short order. Not one of them is set up as a Speed Bow, I like the forgiving Nature of moderate Velocity and heavier Arrows, all shoot minimum 11 grains per pound Arrows. I like making things harder for myself.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

stickslinger

#24 Post by stickslinger » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:59 am

Hey Perry,

Yeah, it was "Modern Traditional" :biggrin: Very helpful. And on the Ethical Side of things..don't worry, I have no plans to try any hunting until i'm very, very confident in my ability to hit a target at any range.

We used to have a saying back when i was in the Marines. "one shot, one kill." Thats the same approch i'll take to bow hunting. For now i'm enjoying shooting my target and mastering this great sport.
Cheers.

Chase N. Nocks

#25 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:48 pm

Good onya Aaron.

You are on the right track for barebow enjoyment....an open mind that keeps your options open.

Check out the other DVD's recommended by Perry, Ben and others.

Not sure about the
those that canlt do it just don't get it and outhink it all
but look up some of the past discussions, they are ...... :razz: entertaining. Reignite a few with your own observations if you like. Views from a non-entrenched experimentor would be interesting.

In terms of barebow accuracy string walking is the BOMB where time allows. But all styles have their own retrictions and benefits.

ALL styles require a similar amount of dedication to extract all of what they have to offer. Good distance judgement and good form are the common denominator.

Your FITA experience (including the use of sights) will put you in good stead.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Guy Layton

#26 Post by Guy Layton » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:43 pm

Hi All,

Could someone please explain "instinctive" shooting to me...?

Cheers Guy... :shock:
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

wishsong

#27 Post by wishsong » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:28 pm

Guy ...
its like this .... well first ya concentrate really hard,
... " burn a hole " in which internet forum ya want start a fight on ...
... then .......
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nephew

#28 Post by Nephew » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:01 pm

wishsong wrote:Guy ...
its like this .... well first ya concentrate really hard,
... " burn a hole " in which internet forum ya want start a fight on ...
... then .......
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

perry

#29 Post by perry » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:28 am

Guy Layton wrote:Hi All,

Could someone please explain "instinctive" shooting to me...?

Cheers Guy... :shock:
Morning Guy, I'm sure many will disagree with my explanation of what "Instinctive" is. In simplest terms , you focus on the target , your subconscious mind takes over the alignment of the Arrow and you complete the Shot.

I believe that constant repitition trains your sub conscious where to position the Arrow for the various distances and positions you find yourself in. I believe on a sub conscious level you are using the Arrow to Gap distance, windage etc. Take your Mathemetical time Table, when I was at School we sat down and paroted the times table until the Answers became automatic / sub conscious.

Actions you take throughout your life such as throwing a stone on the surface of things seem Instictive also. But when you think about it you have been throwing something your whole life - Learning. As a baby perhaps you threw Food on the Floor, in the School yard you used a similar action to throw a spit ball and playing sport you throw a ball. particularly in a ball throwing Sport you learn to lob the ball high in the air in order to hit a distant target.

A common action is to point where you wish to throw the ball, think about this and try throwing at something without pointing at it, very awkward, you need to lern to throw without pointing. Your subconscious through learned reponces from constant repition signals your muscles to put this much effort into the throw, your sub conscious signals to throw it on this or that trajectory. Think about shooting an Arrow, you point at the target, you choose an elevation / trajectory the Arrow will follow and you complete your shot.

Take Shotgun Shooting which incidently is tremendous practice for Barebow Shooting, particularly coming up to a Trad Shoot where Fluid shots at moving targets are required. You Swing your Gun with the target, you are focused on the Target then the planets align, you have sub consciously sqeezed the trigger when your Gun was in the correct alignment for the Shot to break the Clay. That shot just like an Arrow does not travel in a straight line, it Arches through a curving trajectory, the wind affects it's sideways tracking, all the same elements that occur during an Archery Shot. Actions your Brain signaled you to take learned through previous experience. It amazes me how quickly and accurately your Brain can make all those calculations in such a brief period of time .

I believe that what is known as Instictive is a learned behaviour, look what happens when you are faced with a new situation such as a long range shot. Your complete your shot the Arrow falls short, you learn [ many do not :lol: ] to point the Bow higher, you might fall a bit short again but previous experience has equiped you to walk that Arrow onto the Mark. If you shoot at this longer Range REPEATEDLY you will commit the movements required to your sub conscious , it will become SECOND NATURE you will apply no conscious thought to it next time you are confronted with a similar shot.

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#30 Post by GrahameA » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:57 am

Morning Perry.
perry wrote:.Actions you take throughout your life such as throwing a stone on the surface of things seem Instictive also. But when you think about it you have been throwing something your whole life - Learning. ...

A common action is to point where you wish to throw the ball, think about this and try throwing at something without pointing at it, very awkward, you need to lern to throw without pointing.
It can be a worthwhile experience to teach some to through a ball. One part of the process is the mechanical action of throwing the other part is throwing in the right direction with the appropriate force. Spend a few years teaching people to throw can teach oneself a lot. Most people take throwing as something everyone can do ...... it is not.
perry wrote:Take Shotgun Shooting which incidently is tremendous practice for Barebow Shooting, particularly coming up to a Trad Shoot where Fluid shots at moving targets are required. You Swing your Gun with the target, you are focused on the Target then the planets align, you have sub consciously sqeezed the trigger when your Gun was in the correct alignment for the Shot to break the Clay. That shot just like an Arrow does not travel in a straight line, it Arches through a curving trajectory, the wind affects it's sideways tracking, all the same elements that occur during an Archery Shot. Actions your Brain signaled you to take learned through previous experience. It amazes me how quickly and accurately your Brain can make all those calculations in such a brief period of time.
If you started with Target Rifle shooting and then move to Trap you will discover a new learning experience. The techniques are different. Moving onto Skeet will be another learning experience again.

All this stuff does not come instantly - there is a lot of learning happening.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.