Transitioning from target to hunting bow.

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Re: Transitioning from target to hunting bow.

#31 Post by perry » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:30 am

Absolutely Grahame, a lot of learning going on. And this is exactly why I wonder about the diatribe I hear often in regards to Instinctive Shooting. Some seem to close their minds and adopt the Look and Shoot mentality with no further explanation beyond - "it sorta clicks", "Bam it just happens" I am sure this is enough for a great many people and I respect that it is enough for them. I like to ponder these things, refine my idea's and expand my Knowledge and am happy to be proven wrong or to change my position because learning more has enlightened me. But there is not much to learn in Bam or Sorta

I draw the comparision to Trap Shooting often as the similarities in the Sport at least when I participate make them mutually beneficial. Never will have the money to play Trap / Skeet and the other Shotgun Sports enough to become proficient at them, then again I rarely practice Flu Flu Shots and its cheap bordering on free :biggrin: which perhaps leads to another common shortcoming amoungst Trad Archers - lack of proper practice.

As you say, many do not posses the ability to throw well, same with shooting a Bow "Instictively"??? Hopefully these Folks do not become frustrated and choose to continue to learn. Perhaps shooting with an external reference like a Sight or being taught to Gap or String Walk may work for them, perhaps some of these become Administrators in the Sport and impose their limitations on the rest of us [ forgive me - I've had the Flu for 2 weeks and I feel better this morning and a little Cheeky :mrgreen: ]

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#32 Post by greybeard » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:16 pm

Instinctive shooting at its best, I would not like to be the one throwing the discs. The action does not start until about one minute into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vCSkiNJwXA

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

perry

#33 Post by perry » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:00 am

Amazing Video Daryl, thanks for posting, the range of skills on display is incredible. Not to mention a most convincing demonstration of Faith by the Men on the Ground :shock:

Now, I'll bite :lol: :lol: please forgive me :mrgreen: What was evident throughout that incredible footage was a reliance on Form and the amount of time and effort that has gone into the Horses, I admire the Skills and Knowledge. He repeated the same shot sequence time and time again, the Archery version of Katate's "Carta". Practicing the exact same movements until they have become , ingrained, automatic, Instinctive. This is why I regard Archery as a True Martial Art

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Fanto

#34 Post by Fanto » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:51 pm

danceswithdingoes wrote:Byron Ferguson's 'split vision' method is practical and quick to apply, here you focus on where you want to hit and become aware peripherally of the gap of the arrow tip to the target. I find if I concentrate on the tip too much, I shoot high, however if its done right I find it works well and is quite consistent.

This is what I do. works for me.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

stickslinger

#35 Post by stickslinger » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:55 pm

Fanto wrote:
danceswithdingoes wrote:Byron Ferguson's 'split vision' method is practical and quick to apply, here you focus on where you want to hit and become aware peripherally of the gap of the arrow tip to the target. I find if I concentrate on the tip too much, I shoot high, however if its done right I find it works well and is quite consistent.

This is what I do. works for me.

I agree, "burning a hole" and waiting for the brain to identify when it "feels right" (or seeing the tip in the peripheral) seems to work. I've been "experimenting" with a lot of different methods but ths seems to work the best for me...and more importantlly, it puts the arrow where i look. I've been using three under and with my anchor, i'm point on at about 20 meters (which is ideal, as thats the range i plan to hunt) with 25 and 30 meters being about shelf height in my peripheral vison at these ranges.

Cheers again Perry for putting me onto those videos, i have found them very helpful and its improved my Barebow confidence tenfold. I would recommend "Legends of the Longbow" series to anyone looking for a starting point in "instinctive"/barebow shooting. :biggrin:

Next stop is a bit of rabbit hunting :wink:

perry

#36 Post by perry » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:44 pm

You welcome Mate, happy to have helped. Look forward to reading about your Rabbt Hunting Success. Rotten little Blighters they are. What gets me is they actually watch your Arrow and Duck at the last second :lol:

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

Fanto

#37 Post by Fanto » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:05 pm

greybeard wrote:Instinctive shooting at its best, I would not like to be the one throwing the discs. The action does not start until about one minute into the video.

Daryl.
I loved this video. It made me think: if this is the skill level a mounted archer can achieve when he learns for fun, what skills must the ancient horseback archers have developed when the stakes were life and death? those men must have been absolutely terrifying and I doubt any of us would have survived the first 5 seconds of a confrontation with one of them. still its fantastic to see the skills being kept alive and passed down

cheers
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

stickslinger

#38 Post by stickslinger » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:32 am

Fanto wrote:
greybeard wrote:Instinctive shooting at its best, I would not like to be the one throwing the discs. The action does not start until about one minute into the video.

Daryl.
I loved this video. It made me think: if this is the skill level a mounted archer can achieve when he learns for fun, what skills must the ancient horseback archers have developed when the stakes were life and death? those men must have been absolutely terrifying and I doubt any of us would have survived the first 5 seconds of a confrontation with one of them. still its fantastic to see the skills being kept alive and passed down

cheers

Thats good, but i like this! Howard Hill you legend! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbCGoqk3S4s :biggrin:

bigbob

#39 Post by bigbob » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:42 pm

Great video. Oh to be that accurate and consistent!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com