Arrows are hitting left, left, left

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Fanto

Arrows are hitting left, left, left

#1 Post by Fanto » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:54 pm

hi all,

I've been practicing a lot lately, groupings are coming in nicely, but they are all left of where it looked to me they should be hitting, by 6 inches at 12 yards.

So to try to sort this out, i bought a gun scope red dot laser, stuck a 5/16 bolt through the mounting bracket and screwed it into the stabiliser ferrule :wink:

anyway, sighted it in and the my groupings came in to 2 inches, happy days. However, if I look down the arrow both nocked at brace height and at full draw, when the red dot says I'm on target, the arrow seems it is pointing 6 inches right of the target. :sad:

so my questions are: is this normal, are my eyes out of calibration and if so who has the allen key to tweak them?

or is it a bow tune issue? overspine? 55lb draw weight @28 draw, I'm running Golttip trads 3555 (500 spine) 125gr field points, 11.5gr inserts, 3x4in feathers, 29in arrow (carbon only)

any help appreciated

thanks
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Arrows are hitting left, left, left

#2 Post by Bill » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:30 am

:?: are u right or left handed.

Fanto

#3 Post by Fanto » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:42 am

right handed bill
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Bill » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:30 am

I've sent u a pm with pictures, I hope their not to big.

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Bill » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:26 pm

What type of bow r u shooting and what r its measurements.

Fanto

#6 Post by Fanto » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:32 pm

Bill

its a Damon Howatt Mamba recurve, shot off the shelf, felt rest, leather riser pad (forgot proper name) AMO 58" , brace height 7.5" nocking point +1/2

thankyou

Fanto

#7 Post by Fanto » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 pm

one more thing, ive tried every cock feather orientation known to man.

Ive stuck with out (9 o'clock) as its no worse than any other

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Bill » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:56 pm

another pm sent.

Bent Stick

#9 Post by Bent Stick » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:16 pm

Your draw length? Throw some 150's or 175's on the front mate they are behaving as though they are a bit stiff at your draw
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

Fanto

#10 Post by Fanto » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:29 pm

my draw is 28"

thanks gentlemen.

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Bill » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:45 pm

ok, so the picture indicated that the spine in your arrow is a bit stiff, like Bent Stick says try some front weight change, and have a go at using some lighter spined arrows.

Fanto

#12 Post by Fanto » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks guys I will do that. Im heading to the shop tomorrow, was to be collecting more 3555s but if the weight doesnt work ill get some bendier ones!

Do you think that other tuning such as brace height, perhaps removing silencers, reducing feather would help as well?

cheers

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Bill » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:14 pm

pm sent, in reference to a video link.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Bill wrote:pm sent, in reference to a video link.
Why not post the link and replies in the thread as I'm sure they would benefit others who might be having a similar problem. :biggrin:

Jeff

Fanto

#15 Post by Fanto » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:21 pm

The Video is: ""WARNING" FOR WRONGLY SPINED ARROWS!!!!" I hope your able to find it.

by greyarcher.

The other part of the PMs were a series of photos showing an arrow at full draw, one pointing at the target, one left and one right. to hit the target, my arrows must point to the right at full draw, so im aiming right of target to correct the problem.

Thanks to all for the input. Its annoying that my shafts are wrong, but hey, at least i get to go and buy some new stuff :lol: should keep the finance minister on her toes!

danceswithdingoes

#16 Post by danceswithdingoes » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:34 pm

I had some 1914 X7's that flew great out of my 45# longbows, now shooting a 35# longbow they are grouping beautifully @ 9 o'clock :surprised: They were cut short @ 27" and were too stiff for the new bow, so I ordered some 1916's which according to the Easton Charts should suit @ 29" with 125gr tips. Mark @ Tradbits sells screw in points ranging from 85gr to 200gr, so Ive ordered some 175 and 145gr popints to supplement the 125gr I have already. In short I reckon your arrows are too stiff for that bow. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

Fanto

#17 Post by Fanto » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:52 pm

It certainly seems that the weight of opinion agrees on the spine.

Interestingly, Goldtips own chart says that the 3555 is underspine and i should be using 5575. Even a 45lb bow should have a 5575 according to their chart. One would think that a pre-eminent arrow maker might know better. And as for any variables regarding point weight, 125gr is the max reccomended for the 3555s, hence would have the spine at the "weakest" that Goldtip may have considered in their selection chart. On the other hand, their insurance company may dictate that they reccomend a spine 10lb heavy based on minimum point weight, and calculate their charts on a heavy, high FOC setup such as 200gr plus up front. Thus ensuring that the humble archer is unable to underspine in any way by reading their charts, and thereby minimising the risk of injury (and more importantly, insuranced premiums)

On the other hand, what the heck would I know!!

cheers

stickshooter

#18 Post by stickshooter » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:45 pm

presuming you are righthanded,have you tried canting the bow(top limb to the right)

clinton miller

#19 Post by clinton miller » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:29 pm

you could try a more open stance. this helped me with my problem of hitting left. for whatever reason it must help my alignment
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Fanto

#20 Post by Fanto » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:49 pm

gents

I have opened my stance a little,I'll work on that. same with canting, I was taught to shoot target style as a child and the muscle memory just won't give in, bow always wants to get vertical!

I'm going to buy a 10lb bow and get my 9 week old into good trad form from the start!

cheers again you are gentlemen

regards
damian

Fanto

#21 Post by Fanto » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:16 pm

Update: Moved the nocking point up 3mm. Arrows no longer hitting high, and not going left so much either. bit more tweaking and she'll be right

thanks again

JBMOZ

#22 Post by JBMOZ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi,

Stupid question but are you shooting with both eyes open? If so, have you checked to see which eye is dominant?

I shoot right handed but discovered I am left eye dominant when all my arrows were hitting left.

Fanto

#23 Post by Fanto » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:30 pm

JBMOZ,

thanks for the input, I am right eye dominant so it wasn't an easy fix. i just had to shoot lots and lots and lots of arrows. I no longer miss to the left, now I just miss in all direction! ( by a slowly reducing margin)

regards
damian