newbie question on accuracy and groupings

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Fanto

newbie question on accuracy and groupings

#1 Post by Fanto » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:27 pm

gday

just have a question for the wise here: I'm working towards my first bunny hunt with bow and I'm not sure what to make of my groupings on the backyard target and how they are going to translate into rabbits in the freezer.

my groupings are up and down, especially after many arrows. first couple of arrows are hitting rabbit head sized targets at 12 yards, groupings are about 120mm with the odd holiday.

question is, what is a good yardstick for grouping size , bearing in mind I'm talking close range 10-15 yards

thanks
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

longbow steve

Re: newbie question on accuracy and groupings

#2 Post by longbow steve » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:42 am

Hi Fanto, that sounds pretty good but a true indicator of how you are going is to shoot at a longer distance and hone you left/right variance then when you return to the close ones you will be hitting a 20cent size target at 10m. I found learning to shoot for accuracy at long distance made me pinpoint accurate up close so if you can try that at the range you may find it beneficial as I did.
Also where are you from? Cheers Steve

Fanto

#3 Post by Fanto » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:37 pm

gday steve

thanks for the advice I will do that. I'm limited at home but will get out to a range.

Im in adelaide mate
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

kerrille

#4 Post by kerrille » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:25 pm

my groupings are up and down, especially after many arrows,mate thats called being tired , that happens to everyone ,thats why you practice only until this happens ,you'll get better and stronger with time ,just remember,your first arra is the one you have to hit the target/bunnie with not your tenth.

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

longbowinfected

#5 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:39 pm

Not only tiredness as Kerrile said but inconsistent form.
it is important that you draw the arrow exactly the same length each time. I use the end of my screw in adapters, the bit near the wood shaft in line with the belly of my bow and I keep it there. I have a little overhang in the body of the adapter plus the pile or broadhead. I use broadheads the same mass as field points so practising with field points is the same as when hunting. This corrects collapsing/shooting short.

Anchoring in the same place and lining the string next to your arrow will assist with going a few inches either side as long as you do not move your bow arm or hand.

Lots of good practice will produce consistency.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Fanto

#6 Post by Fanto » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:30 am

thanks all , lots of things to work on! also the archers bible is on the way from the ozbow library, looking forward to that also.

i think i need to find somewhere to practice with other traditional shooters. anyone know of a good place/mob in adelaide?