Recommendations for where to start

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

blu-dog

Recommendations for where to start

#1 Post by blu-dog » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:20 pm

A mate just contacted me to ask about where he should start with arrows for his new bow... I said it'd be a good idea to pose the question on here because their are blokes with much more technical knowledge than I have on the subject (and this may give him a more effective starting point for tuning his arrows).

He is shooting a 57lb deflex-reflex longbow (at his draw length), cut to centre shelf, split fingers looking for about 650 grain total weight. He is wondering what spine and tip weight he should be looking at initially. His arrows are cut at 28 inches.
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

Nephew

Re: Recommendations for where to start

#2 Post by Nephew » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:09 pm

It's very hard to say, Paul, but I'd start with a shaft spined 65-70# and a point of 160 grn. Might be best to buy one of those sample kits of shafts of three different, but similar spine range and see how that goes. Maybe try an Easton Gamegetter 400 and if it flies well, check on on a spine gauge then look for woods that match that?
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

longbow steve

Re: Recommendations for where to start

#3 Post by longbow steve » Tue May 29, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi Paul, 2018 alloys with 100 brass insert and 125gr points should give the correct arrow weight and spine range required. I was shooting a similar setup last year. Steve