Arrow fletches

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Archeress

Arrow fletches

#1 Post by Archeress » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:58 pm

QUESTION....yeah i should know this...
Hi all..I am delving into the world of 3DAAA seing as i had so much fun at coal creek.

A 70 pound elm bow that i will be using for 3DAAA needs feathers of......???????? 4 inch?..5 inch?..i am using 11/32 shafts with 125 gr field points...anyone feel free to advise.

cheers kelly
Archeress is a long way from home

bigbob

Re: Arrow fletches

#2 Post by bigbob » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:12 pm

cant help with 3dAAA but ABA would require a minimum of 12'' of feathers all up ie, 3x 4''.There will be others who will give the right answer for you before long.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:11 pm

Don't know what any shoot rule requirements are but with your set up I would use 3 x 5" feathers.

Jeff

Archeress

#4 Post by Archeress » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Sounds about right Jeff...i meant to say ABA shoots. just had 3daaa on my mind when typing.
I had loads of fun and some very awful shooting at coal creek on the sunday. So i will contact sunshine coast bowmen next week and find out what my shoot requirements are.

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:06 pm

I'm an ex member of said club, and they will certainly be able to give you any advice, but as far as I know all that's required by ABA is a minimum of 12'' of feathers. But as Jeff said it would be better to go with the 3 x 5'' feathers as they would provide more stability given the poundage involved.Cheers.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Archeress

#6 Post by Archeress » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:19 pm

thankyou bob :biggrin:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by greybeard » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi Archeress,

3DAAA Rules

Click on the link for the for the rule book.

http://www.3daaa.com/index.php/3daaa_rules/

Extract;

MAXIMUM DRAW WEIGHT
The maximum draw weight for each class shall be as follows:
B.1.1 Cub Classes = 40 pounds.
B.1.2 All Female and Youth Classes = 60 pounds.
B.1.3 All Male and Traditional Class = 80 pounds.
A two (2) pound variation will be allowed.

They do not mention at what draw length.

Traditional (TRAD)
A recurve or longbow without a sighting device. Arrow should be shot from the shelf or
hand with no elevated rest. Only a piece of leather or similar material 1/8 inch thick or
less shall be allowed on the arrow shelf. There will be no markings on the bow or on the
bowstring that could be construed as sighting marks. There will not be any type of draw
check on the bow or string. There shall be a single (1) nocking point on the string, i.e.
this single (1) nocking point may have two (2) nock point indicators on the string between
which the arrow is nocked on the string. Must be shot with a glove, finger tab or bare
fingers. No stabilisers or counter balances shall be allowed. The use of clickers, draw
checks, mechanical or electronic devices shall be prohibited as a shooting aid. While
shooting, the archer shall touch the arrow with the index finger against the nock, and
using a single anchor point. Aluminum or carbon arrows must have screw-in field points;
wood arrows may have glue-on points. All arrows must have at least three (3) feathers or
vanes no less than four (4) inches long. No stabilizers, counterbalances, or weights of
any kind may be attached or built into the bow, except a quiver clearly designed to hold
arrows. Arrows shall be shot off the hand or shelf of the riser only. An arrow side plate (if
used) may only extend one (1) inch above the arrow. Must be shot from the WHITE
stake; maximum of 30 yards.
NOTE: STRING WALKING & FACE WALKING ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THIS CLASS.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

perry

#8 Post by perry » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:26 am

Archeress, forgive me I'm off on a Tangent [ read Rant ] as I see a deeper point needs to be made about Fletching than just meeting the Rules - unless your Arrows are perfectly matched to your Selfbow you are going to require a little more Fletch than 3 x 4" and perhaps 3 x 5" Fletches which is what I think Jeff was eluding too. In my experience particularly with Selfbows it is not the length that will give your Fletches the best ability to Stabilize the Arrow in Flight but the Height. I have never seen a commercially cut Fletch that has adequite Height. You can buy Feather Choppers that do cut Fletches of Adequite Height but I mainly use a homemade Template and a pair of Scissors

By way of example, check out those silly little Vanes that Compound Shooters use, note the moulded lines or Bumps that flow down their length and how they are cut a little higher, both designed to increase surface area. A great many Trad Archery developments have been adapted to modern materials, they owe us a great debt.

I have shot my perfectly spined Arrows from my properly tuned Selfbow in Rain heavy enough to lay the Fletch down on the Shaft so that it provided little stabilisation other than the mass on the end of the Arrow in 3DAAA Comp and still acheived better Arrow Flight than many Trad Archers I saw at the recent North Albert Trad Shoot did on a fine day. Arrows are key to shooting accurately and a great many Trad Archers just do not get that and concentrate on a Shiny Colourful Bow

I cut my own Fletches to around 4.5" long and 6/8" or 7/8" of an inch high for maximum surface Area, gives me a nice compromise in Length / Height and does not create so much Drag my Arrows fall from the Sky and in combination with properly spined Arrows come out of Paradox quickly.

If you are the lady I remember meeting some time ago at the Corival I think you had medievil reproduction Arrows with quite long classically handcut Fletches ?? they would have plenty of surface area and meet the requirements of both Organisations

If you are limited to commercial cut Fletching with a new set of Arrows 4 x 4" commercial cut Fletching gives very good surface area and will pull an arrow out of paradox faster than 3 x 5" Feathers will

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Archeress

#9 Post by Archeress » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:41 pm

thanks guys...ideas and concepts well noted...one thing i was concerned about regarding historical bows..which is what i may shoot under ...is that i read that no marks to be on the bow to give the archer a guide to distance...lol well this bow looks like a branch that has come right off an elm tree. marks and spots and lines all up and down. i will have to post a photo.....if it turns out i cannot use it for whatever reasons then i will be happy to use my 60 pound horsebow.

perry

#10 Post by perry » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:10 pm

I would not worry about natural lumps and bumps on the Bow Archeress, they are not going to pick on them. They do look for lines etc in Camo patterns / arrow rests etc that could be used for sight marks. Don't worry about your strike plate, they will not pick on it as able to be used for reference provided it does not have bars and lines printed on it. Watch Cresting though as some clever Folks have worked out where to place Cresting Bars and use them as reference points and they have regulated that.

I disagree stongly with some of the Rules in the Classic Bow Division and have spent a fair amount of time and effort in years past to get them to wake up to themselves that Self Nocks are not Dangerous, that Historic String Materials are just as strong and reliable as modern String Materials and for goodness Sake allowing modern Glues only to assemble your Arrows - With any luck they have seen sence and changed the Rules, have not checked in years as I lost interest in ABA / IFAA Competition

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Dennis La Varenne

#11 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:14 pm

Archeress,

VERY interested to see a good pic of your Elm bow.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Archeress

#12 Post by Archeress » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:59 am

hi Dennis...always difficult to take a singly pic of a long bow if one wants a bit of detail..so i will endeavour to take a single shot and then take section close up shots..bit by bit .

Archeress

#13 Post by Archeress » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:22 am

As you can see it has a load of natural marks on it.

Archeress

#14 Post by Archeress » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:22 am

Archeress

#15 Post by Archeress » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:23 am

This is the belly..

Archeress

#16 Post by Archeress » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:28 am

i think the other thing i wanted to clarify as i dont know clearly enough about aba or 3daaa and how everything is organised is that my arrows will never ever have plastic nocks on them..I am thinking that if that rules me out then thats ok..i love historical trad and plastic doesnt belong...having said that..yep i am using a fast flight string.. :lol:
Here are some arrows i am making for the elm bow.

GrahameA

#17 Post by GrahameA » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:41 pm

Archeress wrote:i think the other thing i wanted to clarify as i dont know clearly enough about aba or 3daaa and how everything is organised is that my arrows will never ever have plastic nocks on them..I am thinking that if that rules me out then thats ok..i love historical trad and plastic doesnt belong...having said that..yep i am using a fast flight string.. :lol:
For ABA you should read the notes on historical division - cab downloaded from here http://www.bowhunters.org.au/index.php/ ... t-division as they specify no self-nocks. They also specify B50 for the string.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Archeress

#18 Post by Archeress » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:00 pm

5. Arrow shafts shall be made of wood and fletched with natural feather, attached by
historical means. Modern arrow points/piles are permitted as are nocks. Arrow
nocks cut into the shaft are not permitted.

Oh well that lets me out then..i guess i wont be competing as all my arrows have nocks cut into the shafts.

Dennis La Varenne

#19 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:08 pm

Archeress,

Many thanks for the pics of your Elm bow. I love those 'no handle' circular bending bows. The elegant simplicity of them is what gets me. They are usually easy to make, reliable, simple to tiller and durable . . . and if the tiller happens to change a bit, you can adjust it by simply shifting where you hold it or simply turning it the other way up. Lots of redeeming features.

I have some replica long bows after the style of the Woodland Indians of the Eastern seaboard of the United States. Some of the Cherokee and Penobscot bows were in the 6 foot range but of rectangular cross section. Not many of the bows made by North American Indians had rounded bellies. Most, including the very short bows of the Plains Indians were rectangular in cross section. I have a couple of kits from Rudderbows in the US to make the Penobscot compound bow which is a remarkably sophisticated design. But my first preference and love is for the long circular bending bow of any cross-section like yours.

Any chance of some dimensions and the amount of set it may have taken? It looks to be D-section. Is it? Did you make it? How did you come by the Elm?
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.