Could you recommend me a good beginners Recurve

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

stickjockey

Could you recommend me a good beginners Recurve

#1 Post by stickjockey » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Hi guys and gals, have previously shot compound a few years ago now, I decide I'm jumping back into the sport and come across this site.. It was this site alone and the cool pics that made me realise I want to now shoot Recurve. I'm in Morayfield QLD, the same as Perry and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction of where I should buy from and What size etc. I'm six foot and around ninety kg and don't think I'll have a problem pulling 60#. What difference does the length of the bow make? Should I buy one piece or Take down? I'm willing to invest a fair amount at startup as long as I'm gonna be happy in the long run.. Any help would be appreciated guys and I've already learned heaps just browsing this afternoon, very good resource you have here.

bigbob

Re: Could you recommend me a good beginners Recurve

#2 Post by bigbob » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Howdy and welcome to the site.I too shot compounds for many many years as well as a bit of recurve and now longbows. I dont shoot recurve these days and others will be able to give you better advice than me but you will find that you will definitely shoot a lower poundage than you do with compound. I shoot 70lb compound hunting sometimes but only 55lb longbow, cause there's no mechanical advantage to hold some of the weight. good luck and I am sure your questions will be answered soon.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

stickjockey

#3 Post by stickjockey » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:20 pm

Thanks for the Welcome Bigbob...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Welcome to the site SJ. I would find a club near you and see if you can shoot a few bows to find what suits you. You need to know your draw length and what weight you can draw comfortably. It seems you know Perry so I'm sure he could assist you with this also.

Before outlaying big dollars on a fancy new bow you might be best to try a second hand one or a cheaper bow like a Samick. Check out the Trade Blanket forum for used bows and for new bows see the 'Aussie Traditional Archery Suppliers' forum.

Any further questions just ask and please keep us up to date on what you decide on.

Jeff

Allan

#5 Post by Allan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:47 pm

Hi Stickjockey,I live in morayfield as well , I have a recurve 55lb if you want to try it out in my yard. Cheers Allan.

stickjockey

#6 Post by stickjockey » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:55 pm

Wow that would be awesome, will have to work something out. Thanks for everything, cheers.

Allan

#7 Post by Allan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi Stickjockey, contact me when you want, no worries happy to help. Allan.

Gringa Bows

#8 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Welcome to Ozbow Stickjockey :biggrin:

Chase N. Nocks

#9 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi SJ,

I would suggest for almost any beginner now to purchase an ILF riser and a set of decent budget limbs either recurve or longbow.

Go a Sky, Morrison or Tradtech riser. There are some very decent limbs in the $200 - $300 price range and when you are ready to upgrade you can then go to full foam carbon limbs in both recurve and longbow. Keeping your rest and riser setup and just swap out the limbs.

That's just my 2 cents worth.

Of course your bow collecting does not have to end there, but it is a great starting point.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

perry

#10 Post by perry » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:31 pm

Evening stickjockey, happy to have you around my place or meet you at Caboolture Bowmen for a Chat and to help you with your Traditional Archery

Allan, good to see you posting and a good of you to offer a shot of your Bow , generous as ever.

I'm going to give different advice and Allan may be able to help further as I think he has the Bow I'm going to suggest. Without doubt the best Value most versatile new Traditional Archers Bow on the Market is the Samick Sage. They come in draw weights of under 40# all the way up to 60#. They are very well made and shoot very well, way beyond what you would expect for the $$. I would recommend you buy a Samick Sage 40# or 45#, learn correct Form which you can not do whilst building Muscle to shoot heavier Draw weights. Be honest, can you shoot 200 Arrows from a 60# Trad Bow and not feel sore or overbowed at the end of the Day, start low and then Build up draw weight. Tired Muscles and strain lead to poor Form

With a Samick Sage you can buy new heavier limbs for about $70 plus postage. I personnely like Tradtech Archery, always been happy with their Prices and Service http://www.tradtecharchery.com/ but 3 Rivers at the moment is offering a good package deal on the Sage's http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=2490X

Troys option of the ILF Riser and then upgrade limbs is sound advice but the Trad Police get there Knickers in a Knot over them. They are a great option and as much as I love my Primitive Bows, I find ILF Bows fascinating and owning 2 Risers and 3 sets of limbs, great to Shoot

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Chase N. Nocks

#11 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:10 pm

Hey SJ,

Actually, take the "Sage" advice.

As much as I love the versatility of the ILF systems. I was witness to a Sage being shot by one of the members of our shooting group less than two weeks ago at the North Albert Traditional Rendezvous.

I was very impressed with its perfomance and finish for such a budget bow. Whether it has the longevity or durability of the more expensive bows I do not know but yes I would certainly recommend it but I should mention I have no first hand experience at shooting one.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by greybeard » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:33 pm

Chase N. Nocks wrote:
I was very impressed with its perfomance and finish for such a budget bow. Whether it has the longevity or durability of the more expensive bows I do not know but yes I would certainly recommend it but I should mention I have no first hand experience at shooting one.
At such a low price it could pay to buy the bow and half a dozen or so sets of limbs for spares.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....