gap shooting

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

jesse1987

gap shooting

#1 Post by jesse1987 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:25 pm

im starting to try gap shooting instead of instinctive my question is when you gap shoot where do u anchor?i shoot 3 under and usually anchor middle finger at the corner of my mouth am i better using a higher anchor point, at what distance do you get point on ?any info or personal experiences would be great
thanks

longbow steve

Re: gap shooting

#2 Post by longbow steve » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:48 am

jesse1987 wrote:im starting to try gap shooting instead of instinctive my question is when you gap shoot where do u anchor?i shoot 3 under and usually anchor middle finger at the corner of my mouth am i better using a higher anchor point, at what distance do you get point on ?any info or personal experiences would be great
thanks
Hi Jesse, my anchor point is my top or index finger at my mouth and my point on distance is my longest distance for target shooting which is 60m. My actual point on is 65m but in less than perfect conditions ie a head wind I can hold the gold/centre of the target.
With your high anchor your point on will be less than that and depending on your release and speed of bow it can vary from archer to archer so you need to do some experimenting.
After your point on is established the adjustments are incremental and generally linear. Steve

matt61

#3 Post by matt61 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:12 am

Hi Jesse
I shoot both recurve and longbow with three under release and anchor exacly the same as you.You will need to find your.... point on distance...,this is the distance from the target that when you draw and anchor with the tip of your arrow on the bullseye and shoot the arrow it lands in the bull consistantly.Once you work that out,it then comes down to distance judgement for each shot,closer hold under and further hold over.For me shooting my gear at 36meters I have to hold over about 900mm.
cheers
Matt

DavidM

#4 Post by DavidM » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi Jesse

With my setup of a 45# bow, 500gr arrows and anchoring behind my jaw with 3 under, I get a point on distance of 42 yards. I changed from split finger to 3 under a while ago and this had the effect of bring the tip of the arrow up into my secondary vision at the shorter distances.

perry

#5 Post by perry » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:34 am

You will need too spend some time on the practice range to find your point blank range but you can also manipulate this by using heavier or lighter Arrows if switching to a 3 under Anchor is not enough.

If you are going to shoot Gaps simply using a 3 under Anchor with what ever Finger in the corner of your mouth is not enough. You need to find a minimum of a 2 point Anchor, preferably a 3 point Anchor. For instance, your top finger touching your Canine / Eye Tooth, your thumb tucked under your Jaw and perhaps the 2nd joint of your top finger hooked under your cheek bone - what ever your anatomy will allow.

May I recommend you purchase / beg / borrow or steal the 3 volumes of the Masters of the Barebow series. IMO Rod Jenkins gives an excellent description of exactly what Gap shooting is, how it works and cuts right through the BS that some who do not understand it spruke.

The 2 Modern Traditional DVD's also have some very sound explanations as well. Both of these DVD series will broaden you knowledge base and set you on an informed path. Finding a Barebow Guru in your neck of the woods always helps aswell.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin