masters of the barebow

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

jesse1987

masters of the barebow

#1 Post by jesse1987 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:32 pm

Hey all looking at getting these DVDs my question is are u better off starting at one or is there a best volume to.get ??
Thanks guys

Nephew

Re: masters of the barebow

#2 Post by Nephew » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:43 pm

I liked the second one personally but for actual shooting tips, No.3 with Rod Jenkins providing most of the info is maybe the best. Just remember though, good form is good form, but everyone has their own style when shooting a bow. :wink:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

perry

#3 Post by perry » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:42 am

Buy all 3, you will not regret it. On Volume 1 Rod Jenkins gives an excellent tutorial on shooting Gaps. I watch Volume 3 most often. Volume 2 is very informative but the weakest of the 3 IMO. Don't forget about the Modern Traditional DVD's, some great lessons on those 2 DVD's also. The String and Face Walking chapters by Ty Pelfrey are intriging

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Chase N. Nocks

#4 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:31 pm

The money spent on these DVD's is very much money well spent IMHO.

Unless I am mistaken there are 4 volumes of Masters of the Barebow and only one of the Modern Traditional DVD's. All 5 have much useful information and even though Modern Traditional is dedicateted to string walking it is full of useful information concerning set up, tuning, shooting up and down hill and dedication to form.

It will certainly broaden your understanding of the legitimate barebow styles out there rather than accepting the insular dogma often encountered on the local scene.

I wish they had been available 20 - 30 years ago. The Australian barebow scene would be a lot more mature.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

clinton miller

#5 Post by clinton miller » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:01 pm

looking forward to getting volume 4. it's supposed to have a big mental aspect to it. target panic is addressed also.
which is good because in vol 3 there wasn't much insight from many of the masters other than, "i've never had it" and "i don't want to talk about it".
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Chase N. Nocks

#6 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Yes Clint,

There is a lot more mental stuff on the last one, of particular note is the appearance of Jay Kidwell of "Instinctive Archery Insights" fame. One of the very best books on the mental game and mental shot processes.

Great stuff. I also very much enjoyed the honesty of one of the producers and particpants of the series, Darryl Quidort, when he had previously made a claim about shooting in the complete darkness at a laser dot. This was scoffed at by Rod and Darryl actually admitted that he could not do it. Which I though was great and increased my respect for this larrikin and generally excellent shot.

I have always held this claim by various archers to be dubious at best..to be charitable it may just come down to different interpretations of "complete darkness" but I think quite a few who have made the claim are just passing the story along untested and because it sounded cool.

I have been waiting for just such an admission as Darryl's to come along.

Anyway, buy it. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"