Split V 3 Under Pros / Cons?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Macca

Split V 3 Under Pros / Cons?

#1 Post by Macca » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:06 am

Howdy all, yesterday I was practicing and I shoot split finger's. I could not seem to get consistant and was shooting way below my usual par average. I thought I would give 3 under a go, I got a shock straight up. Immediately I was shooting very well, I seemed to get better shoulder alignment. I was anchoring with middle finger in the corner of my mouth, thumb nuckle behind jaw with my nose touching the shield cut feather.

Groups were good out to all distances, I then went roving with blunts and was shooting well. The only draw back I noticed was at the longer ranges above 40m . You are looking over the target at the longer ranges. I think that the 3 under method may be more forgiving to a poor release. I thought I would throw it out there to see what a few of the more experienced traditional archers views and opinions were.

Cheers Macca.

Benny Nganabbarru

Re: Split V 3 Under Pros / Cons?

#2 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:01 am

It's very much an individual preference, and what works for one fellow won't work for another. I shoot 3-under.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by kerry » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:40 am

maybe the bow was originally built to be shot as 3 under i'm sure theres a lot more bowyer gurus on here that could explain it better than me :confused:
Life is not a fairy tale,if you lose a shoe at midnight , you're drunk.

longbowinfected

#4 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:23 am

I shoot AA. They do not allow three under. At longer distances split finger under the chin works exceptionally well for me ascompared to three fingers if I choose to dabble for fun.
I use the same anchor point and release for everything. For me it is just simpler. I also gap shoot everything. It just reduces/limits inconsistency over a large number of arrows.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

stickshooter

#5 Post by stickshooter » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:47 pm

three under brings the arrow closer to the eye so is more natural,I changed from split finger a while ago & wouldn't go back.
The only thing you may need to do is lift the nocking point on your string a bit.

Gene-o

#6 Post by Gene-o » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:20 pm

Hi guys, Now this is a topic I have seen on this site a few times. I shoot split and have tryed shooting three under but it just feels so wrong to me. At the end of the day three under or split dont matter. There is no substute for good quality old fashion practice... my two bobs worth :wink:

Geneo

Macca

#7 Post by Macca » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:14 am

Thanks boys, I suppose it comes back to preference, Toyota or Nissan. The people who shoot 3 under, do you have trouble shooting at the longer targets eg , ABA shoots?

Thanks all, cheers Macca.

otis.drum

#8 Post by otis.drum » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:08 pm

i switched to three under, and while it took a long time to feel right, i wouldn't go back now to split now. i made the move because i was getting pain in my index finger shooting split for long periods. it went away instantly with three under and i was also able to instantly draw more weight shooting three under. it feels a lot more natural to me now, but like i said it took a long time before it did.

i have found no difference in my accuracy... still inaccurate :mrgreen:
...otis...

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:43 pm

I also think it is just a preference thing however as a Bowhunter I find split is a better choice. I shoot instinctive so having the arra higher (closer to the eye) has no relevance for me.

Jeff

Brumbies Country

#10 Post by Brumbies Country » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:47 am

Until late last year I shot the last 4 years with a mediterranean split release. This was with longbows and selfbows. I went back to shooting a recurve late last year and experimented three fingers under. I'd shot quite well that way 5-6 years ago, but found it quite difficult when I went back to it, so I didn't persist. Lately with the recurve I've gone back to 3 fingers under for distances up to 40m while still shooting a self-bow with a split release. If my form is good both work. The gap is not greatly different The self-bow was 44lbs when I finished tillering it but probably a bit less now. I have glass/wood hunting recurve at 35 lbs and a carbon limb target recurve 32lbs. Shooting the self-bow with a split release and the other two three under. The point on for all three bows (where I point the arrow) is around 35 metres. Where the rules allow it (FITA and IFAA) I use a split release for the recurves for 40m and above. My recurves are a bit noisier three fingers under.

Personally if I shoot well they are both good. Over the last couple of months I have gone back to shooting all three bows alot more at target butts at fixed distances concentrating on form. Things have improved. I love field shooting but sometimes you need to stop and take a breath rather than just banging away.

Dennis La Varenne

#11 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:53 am

Brumbies,

Many years ago, I did a lot of experimenting at my local ABA/AAA club (Diamond Valley Archers in Victoria) on the AAA range so see what actually happened with the two styles of loose.

I did not find any difference in my ability to shoot groups with a corner of the mouth anchor, or with the quality of arrow flight.

My aim point at 50m was an orange golf ball suspended on a string in front of the the practice butts. Using both styles, I could hit or nearly hit the golfball surprisingly often using a deliberate aiming method where I used the tip of the arrow to 'touch' the golfball using a 6 o'clock hold.

What I did discover was that the thickness of a finger changed the point of aim by almost 10m. Whereas using a mediterranean loose, a 6 o'clock hold was the maximum point on range I could use and still hit the ball (or nearly so), changing to a 3-under loose resulted in a maximum point on range of just over 40m.

This is because when you use the same anchor, when you lift the nock of the arrow by one finger thickness as in the 3-under loose effectively lowers a bow's 'rear sight' by raising the tail of the arrow so it does not leave the bow with as steep an angle of attack.

My HH-style longbows always had a 2mm positive tiller and it did not make any difference to the quality of the arrow flight which loose I used, so I am not prepared to offer an opinion as to whether or not a bow can be deliberately tillered for the 3-under loose. I have shot bows with up to 5mm of positive tiller using both looses and found no effective difference other than that of altered trajectory.

I did find however, that bringing the arrow closer to the line of sight gave the effect of gun-barrel sighting which, if one used a gap system of aiming as I did on my testing resulted in slightly more precise aiming and grouping than gap-aiming with a mediterranean loose.

Gap-aiming is not my normal shooting style, especially for hunting. I am an instinctive shooter, but I can switch over to gap-aiming when I want to do some deliberate ballistics testing where it is far more precise for that purpose.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Macca

#12 Post by Macca » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Well after a couple of weeks playing with split and three under I have settled with my original style, split fingers. I am shooting very well with split and it feels natural and free flowing. I have been working on consistant form and practicing every day 5m - 50m. Now to put all that practice into work, heading of tommorrow to hunt some goats. I am hoping to take my first recurve goat.

Cheers Macca.