Recurve Brace Height

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Macca

Recurve Brace Height

#1 Post by Macca » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:18 pm

Howdy all, being relativley new to recurves, today I was playing with brace height on my Bear Hunter takedown. I was wondering what process you die hard traditional shooters use to set brace height?

I have 2 strings the one I have been using, brace height 7 3/4, the bow shoots sweet but seems a bit noisy. I put a new string on to double check length and put a knocking point on, it was shorter, just. The brace for that was minimum 8", the bow shoots good and is not noisy at all, seems quieter with no silencers than the string I use now with silencers. How much string contact should be on the limb?

What is the correct process, advice appreciated?

Cheers Macca.

longbowinfected

Re: Recurve Brace Height

#2 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:04 am

I am not a recurver but I would think the first place to ask is the manufacturer or bowyer as they made/designed the bow.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Macca

#3 Post by Macca » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:00 am

Longbowinfected yes, I emailed Bear and no reply yet. I have googled the question and it seems to be trial and error for the most part. I thought ok, I then rang Howie (Howard Oconell) I thought he will give some good advice. Sure enough he put me on the right track.

I ended up with 8 1/2 brace height and very quiet even without string silencers. The bow shoots sweet and before long I was grouping nice out to 25m and shooting bottle tops at 10 - 15m. The bow is 59lb @ 29" - 29.5", shooting 650 grain Easton xx75 2219 shafts tipped with 150g single bevelled Blackstump broadheads. I will just add some string silencers and she will be ready to spear some piggies.

Cheers Macca.

longbowinfected

#4 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:23 am

interesting. How long ago did you email the Bear people? I realise that there is no legally direct responsibility to someone who is a third party [if you are not the original purchaser] or if the unit is out of warranty. I had it in the back of my mind that they are a quality organisation and would be a reasonably helpful outfit.
Of course there may not have been much delay as you may have just contacted them a short while ago and judging by the post time possibly out of normal business hours. None of the people with Bear bows who I know complain about Bear or their longbows or recurves.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Macca

#5 Post by Macca » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Longbowinfected, I emailed them yesterday afternoon. The bow is shooting sweet today, thanks Howard. It surprised me how much of a difference the brace height made even with small adjustments.

Cheers Macca.

stickshooter

#6 Post by stickshooter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:33 pm

bear archery recurves are 7.5" -8.5",most Kodiak's(60"amo)like it best around the 8.25"mark
hope that helps,every one is different some like a bit more some a bit less.
the lower the brace height the faster the arrow.
the higher the quieter the bow. You just need to find your happy medium.
your arrows need to be 10 grains per pound of draw weight IE:60#=600gn
cheers
Nigel

Macca

#7 Post by Macca » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:34 pm

Thanks Nigel, it's all coming togeather now just in time for the trip.

Cheers Macca.

Nephew

#8 Post by Nephew » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:13 am

I'm interested in your single bevel Blackstumps, Macca. Did you put the single bevel on with a file or whatever, or did they come that way? I have some that came with no bevel -the 180grn Bushrangers, and am interested in trying them as single bevel.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Macca

#9 Post by Macca » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:26 pm

Moreton the stumps do not come with single bevels. I file about 3mm of the tip into a chisel point. It's only a matter of putting an angle on one side. I have a file set up on a board with an a jig that allows me a consistant angle. I then strop both sides with leather, this brings them to shaving sharp. After you have completed the whole process you will end up with a tanto single bevel point.

Give it a go, you will not be dissapointed, cheers Macca.