Shortcut to arrow tuning - for a trad beginner

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

JD79

Shortcut to arrow tuning - for a trad beginner

#1 Post by JD79 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:19 pm

Hi all,

I've only just returned to the archery scene after nearly 20 years away, and decided to go with a longbow rather than a wheely-bow. I've bought myself a 60lb falco legend from a fellow in NZ, and absolutely love the bow. Fires arrows like a cannon, and feels much more natural than the compounds I used to shoot. Right now I'm shooting carbon shafts- easton proflight 340's at 32 inch length, largely because I cannot get hold of timber shafts of sufficient spine, but also because I want to get to a decent level of proficiency before I invest the time into making a set of decent wooden arrows.

I've educated myself on the principle of bare-shaft tuning, and I want to give it a go for my current setup. However, my groupings are a little too wide for bareshaft tuning. Around 10 inches as 20 yards. I'm trying for instinctive shooting rather than gap shooting.

I'm toying with the idea of setting up a jury-rigged bow site using a length of coathanger wire and gaffa tape, to allow me to get some reasonably tight groupings for the purpose of bare-shaft tuning. I figure that if i can use such a contraption to tune the best arrows for my bow, then I can focus on technique once I can be certain my arrows are spot-on.

Anyone else used this approach, or have other suggestions?

I'm also using Stu Millers Dynamic Spine Calculator to work out approximately the length and tip weight I need. Anyone else here used this to good effect?

Cheers,
JD
One man’s “magic” is another man’s engineering. “Supernatural” is a null word.
-Lazarus Long

wishsong

Re: Shortcut to arrow tuning - for a trad beginner

#2 Post by wishsong » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:38 pm

I am of the opinion that paper testing is more valid , particularly for newbies , as grouping doesn't matter , only perfect arrow flight. Without the required good shooting form the bare shaft test can leave you pulling your hair out .

Having said that i use the old rule of thumb re woodies and 5# over or under depending per inch draw length over and/or under 28" and broadhead weight . Works just fine for me .

perry

Re: Shortcut to arrow tuning - for a trad beginner

#3 Post by perry » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:02 am

Sorry mate, no shortcuts to arrow tuning.

JD by using a Bowsight I feel you run the risk of altering your usual form which will affect your Bareshaft tuning results.

Stu Millers spine guide works pretty well. I have played with it and it confirmed my spine requirments I arrived at by bare shaft tuning. Not perfectly but for all intents and purposes it was very close to spot on.

Are these the only Arrows you have, left over from your Compound days ? I guess you've tried altering the Forward of Centre with heavy brass incerts and field points. This will make the arrows shoot as if they have a lesser spine. Only guessing without knowing your draw length , degree of centreshot etc but a 340 carbon shaft even at 32" long would likely need a 100 gr brass incert and 160 to 180 gr point or heavier to shoot from your Bow. I stand to be corrected as this is a guess.

Just in case a tip too remove your old lightwieght alloy screw in point adapters without heating or damaging the shaft to release the glue. Remove your Nocks and find your self a reasonably heavy round piece of metal that is a loose sliding fit inside the carbon arrow, cut the head of a suitable bolt about 60mm long should do the trick. Place this into the shaft and swing it violently down, the piece of round metal will slide down the shaft and strike the old point adapter sharply and break the glue bond without damaging the Shaft.

I only have a 7 metre area to practice and bareshaft tune my Bows at home. I have no problem establishing my Nock height, correct brace height and spine. Personnelly I would not put too great an emphasis on the groups your shooting. It sounds like you are worried about your consistency - this will come.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin