longbow

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

ozzy

longbow

#1 Post by ozzy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:53 pm

i'm thinking of getting a longbow but have a few questions one piece,two piece or three i like the idea of three for the reason of if a limb fails its easier to replace what are your thoughts,at the moment im shooting a samick phantom recurve 50lb @28 my draw is 26 so the bow is shooting 46lb but im drawing it quiet comfortably so im thinking of going up in draw weight as well just to feel a bit more confident if i run into a big pig.i have been looking at the firefly

mick

dmm

Re: longbow

#2 Post by dmm » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:41 pm

Here are a couple of thoughts;
  • One piece bows can be difficult to travel with, and costly to post.
    Two piece bows have the same traditional look as a one piece, but I'm told the mechanism is expensive.
    Three piece bows are pretty common, but I've not really heard about people buying replacement limbs, as you might with an ILF style bow, almost certainly not a single limb
Do you think it's likely you'll have a limb fail? If it did happen do you think you'd be ready for a new bow anyhow? There is always a new bow waiting out there :)
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

Nutgrass

#3 Post by Nutgrass » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:55 pm

I like the idea of a 2-piece, but we drag our 1 piece bows every where with only a bit of care needed 8) 3 piece would be great if you travel by plane allot.
They all have benefits, I guess you need to narrow down what, when, where & how you are planning to use it. 8)
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

ozzy

#4 Post by ozzy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:06 pm

as you say gidgit will have to narrow it down myself thanks for the input guys cheers

mick

longbow steve

#5 Post by longbow steve » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Hey Ozzy, why not get one of each :D .
I have a 3 piece for going hunting on the M/Bike but like my one piece bows. I want to try making a sleeve type 2 piece bow aswell.
Steve

ozzy

#6 Post by ozzy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:30 am

lmao

not sure if i could con the missus into that steve :lol: :lol:

Nutgrass

#7 Post by Nutgrass » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:48 am

ozzy wrote:lmao

not sure if i could con the missus into that steve :lol: :lol:

A wise man once said "it's easier to beg for forgiveness, than to ask for permission" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

ozzy

#8 Post by ozzy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:21 pm

she's pretty good but i think i have decided on a one piece

slvrslngr

#9 Post by slvrslngr » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:25 pm

If you do any traveling, go with a takedown. Some guys prefer the extra mass in a 3 piece and 2 piece are a good compromise, easy to travel with and as you stated, more traditional looking. Otherwise, one piece longbows just feel right. My go-to bow is a Pronghorn 3 piece and it fit's my needs perfectly since I travel back to the States and up north occasionally.