A few setup questions on an Assenheimer recurve

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Curvemeister

A few setup questions on an Assenheimer recurve

#1 Post by Curvemeister » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:52 am

G'day all , just bought an Assenheimer recurve off another forum , which i think originally was on here , and as it needs some new strings made was just after a bit of info on string set up .
The bow is a 64" 70# @ 31 " T/D , and was wondering , what string materials are suitable to use on this type of bow ?
I had a dacron made up yesterday , to get me out of trouble for the moment , but was wanting to get a string made up that was a bit faster , but talking to " special " ( TBGA forums) as he was knocking up a Dacron for it to tide me over , ( which , with a set of whiskers thrown on , made it BLOODY QUIET !!! , ) was wondering what more modern string material was safe to use to make a string for it ? im guessing the newer strands like 452x etc would be ok , but was just wanting a second opinion from you more knowledgable blokes on here before i get him to spin me up a couple .
Also wondering what brace height i should be aiming at , and exactly where should that measurement be guaged from ?
She's a great old bow , only had it a few days and loving it already , hopefully get out 2moro arvo and knock something over with it.
Cheers ;
James
Athens Accomplice 34 70#
Assenheimer T/D recurve 64" 65#@28
Internature Hunter T/D recurve 58" 60#@28
Bear Tigercat recurve 56" 58#@28
York Cadet recurve 62" 20#@28 ( first ever bow 1984)

dmm

Re: A few setup questions on an Assenheimer recurve

#2 Post by dmm » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:03 am

I'm no expert, but I've seen this type of question asked before in a number of threads, so here are some things to think about.

Age of the bow. Older bows generally require a bit more give in the string than these modern minimal stretch strings. The tips can apparently snap off. Is this a new bow? Is it possible to contact the bowyer and ask if it is compatible with fast flight strings?

Padding. It's common to pad out the loops with dacron, which gives a bit more protection to the limb tips, especially with thinner strings. "Special" should know about this.

Safety. If the bow is older, or you aren't sure, err on the side of caution and use Dacron. Be safe, you're doing this for enjoyment right?
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

Curvemeister

#3 Post by Curvemeister » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:14 am

Thanks mate , not sure on the age of the bow , i did send a query regarding age and suitability of string types etc , to the bowyer , but from what ive gleaned on other forums , he's not much on replying to emails .
The flemish type string that was on it , we were really unable to acertain what the material used was , and have read a post on a US forum that fast flights etc , had been used on an Assenheimer , and he was quoting speed increases , but dont know if these could only be used on later models , the bow is numbered #692 , but he's been at it a while , so good be roughly 15-20 years old for all i really know about it.
Athens Accomplice 34 70#

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:37 pm

Curvemeister wrote:The flemish type string that was on it , we were really unable to acertain what the material used was
One way to check is to see if you can cut a strand easily with a small pair of scissors; if it won't cut (just folds up) it is nearly certain to be one of the modern non stretch materials.

I think if you used a flemish twist string and padded the loops as dmm suggests you wouldn't have a problem.

Can't help you with what brace height to use but you measure it from the deepest part of the throat of the grip to the string.

Jeff

dmm

#5 Post by dmm » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:57 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote: Can't help you with what brace height to use but you measure it from the deepest part of the throat of the grip to the string.

Jeff
I've read this too, but on my bow I think the brace height would more accurately be measured as the distance from the string to the plunger button. I think the point where the arrow flexs off the bow, surely is going to be the most relevant.
I can change the grips on my bow, I have a High, Medium and Low grip. I've not tried the High Grip yet, but surely I wouldn't need to reassess my brace height just because I changed grips?

There was a thread on Tradtalk.com recently about determining brace height on an unknown bow. The thread was started by Sid from Border archery. Some of the replies were interesting. From memory they seemed to suggest that the sring should be touching at the curve of the recurve, but you really should check the thread yourself.

I work off my bowyers recommendation of 8.5", then move it a little to make the bow less twangy. If I was bareshaft tuning, I'd start at 8.5" then adjust perhaps .25" at a time to get the arrows fletched and unfletch hitting in a similar place.
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:08 pm

David,

The standard regarding brace height is as I have mentioned unless it has changed recently. Your bow is obviously one of the modern adjustable type bows and as such I suggest you check with the manufacturer regarding the correct brace height for it and how they measure it.

Jeff

wishsong

#7 Post by wishsong » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:20 pm

Don Assenheimer had a stroke a while back. Not sure if he is back in action. The beauty , IMHO, of Assenheimers is how quiet they are ... with a dacron string ... super mouse fart quiet . Makes a great hunting set up .

Curvemeister

#8 Post by Curvemeister » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Thanks for the replies guys , i did read on his site there was a medical problem there abouts , but didnt know how serious , the Dacron should do the job for now , a couple of flemish's made up in the future would be good also .

cheers;
James
Athens Accomplice 34 70#

dmm

#9 Post by dmm » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:David,

The standard regarding brace height is as I have mentioned unless it has changed recently. Your bow is obviously one of the modern adjustable type bows and as such I suggest you check with the manufacturer regarding the correct brace height for it and how they measure it.

Jeff
Yes I shoot a 'modern' bow, and the manufacturer has a diagram measuring brace height exactly as you've said. So I'm not in anyway disputing your advice.

The point I was trying to make, is what I think is relevant in measuring brace height, is the distance between the string, and where the arrow strikes the riser. On my bow that's the plunger. On a 'less modern' bow, that might be harder to determine, and so I suspect the deepest part of the grip is used and a fairly good approximation.

The deepest part of my grip is in about the same location as the plunger, but the plunger is a lot easier to measure with the bow square!
David
--

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:58 pm

David,

I understood what you were saying and I was just suggesting you check how the brace height of you bow should be checked because of the changeable grips. I see you already knew; thanks for posting that as it is good to know they stick with the standard. If it aint broke don't fix it I say. :wink: :D

Jeff

clinton miller

#11 Post by clinton miller » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:45 pm

i think what stickbowhunter means is that there is a chance your brace height could change with the different grips you have. if the brace, measured to the grip changes with different grips you will in effect be drawing the bow shorter or longer in relation to the distance from the string to the plunger. measuring the brace height like you are is fine but not if the distance from the string to where you hold the bow is changing.

as for strings, my 69#@28" recurve has a 12 strand D97 endless string with dacron padded loops. works fine. i could probably even go with a 10 strand.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

slvrslngr

#12 Post by slvrslngr » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:23 am

Better to be safe than sorry, I'd stick with B-50.

Curvemeister

#13 Post by Curvemeister » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:19 pm

thanks for the replies guys , i did manage to do a google search , and found the traditional bowyers encyclopedia as a google book , which has a section speaking with Asseheimer about his bows , the brace it seems is 7 and 5/8 from the throat of the grip , and for now ill just stick with the dacron string , till i can be sure , based on somones personal experience with same type of bows its safe to run a more modern materialled string on it .
Reading the section again , it says 7 and 5/8 to the throat , but i take that as meaning the throat of the grip ?
The link to the google book :

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=CND ... e&q&f=true
Athens Accomplice 34 70#