Changing from 3 under, to split fingers.

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Nutgrass

Changing from 3 under, to split fingers.

#1 Post by Nutgrass » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:35 pm

Well isn't it an interesting exercise :wink: So after learning some interesting stuff on the weekend about shooting styles. I decided to give this split fingers a go.

To re-teach & re-calibrate the brain to shoot split fingers isn't as easy as I thought it may be. I thought it was going to be just a matter of re-calibrating the brain to shoot a different way :roll:
WRONG :wink: I have gone from shooting 6"groups from varying distances, to shooting something around 20"groups at varying distances :?

1st problem I have encountered.
With 3 under, I Was shooting with my left eye shut. Why, well from what I can work out, I am left eye dominant :roll: So to counter that, I shut it & made the right eye do all the work :?
Whilst shooting split, I have been told, both eyes open. Right.... mmm interesting. Talk about feeling like I am trying to shoot cross eyed :wink: But it seams to be getting easier :shock: Slowly.

2nd problem is my fingers. Geez they are getting a canning from shooting split :oops: To the point my bottom finger on the bottom side (or the right side of the nail) is so sore from the stitching of the glove canning the daylights out of me, I don't want to shoot. The index finger is the same, although not quite as sore. I am figuring this is from the string angle on the fingers, add the stitching from the glove tips.
So to all the split finger shooters out there, what gloves do you use ? I am shooting a bearpaw glove (yellowish colour glove with dark brown/black finger tips). But the sown seams appear to be the problem :?

Am I doing it all wrong, or do others have this same problem ?

I also had some arrow flight drama. But a few knock height adjustments, some tips on not pinching the knock between my fingers when I draw. This appears to be a very hard thing to learn. As when you place your fingers on the string, they might not be pinching, but once you draw & anchor they clamp down on the knock :?

The trials & tribulations of changing technique :?
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

dmm

Re: Changing from 3 under, to split fingers.

#2 Post by dmm » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:58 pm

I occasionally try and do the reverse. I shoot split, but the guys at the archery club have suggested 3 under might work better on the ABA course. Biggest difference I notice is that, if you "aim" the same way, you'll shoot higher or lower depending on which way you have changed.

I don't notice much on the fingers. For the pinching would you consider 2 brass nocking points?
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

Nutgrass

#3 Post by Nutgrass » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:15 pm

Yes you are right, when I change from 3 under to split fingers, my arrows go 2 feet higher :lol: 2 brass nock points ? I use 2 nock points now :? but that is to stop the nock of my arrow from slipping up & down on release.
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.

dmm

#4 Post by dmm » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:24 pm

I didn't answer about the glove. I use a Dura Glove, which came from http://www.wildwoodarchery.com.au/gloves.shtml
I'm pretty happy with it, but did get some sore spots on my fingers when I started using it.

Again, I intend to switch to a blackwidow split tab, because, as Peter from the Mornington Penisula bowmen observed to me, "you've never seen an olympic archer use a glove" and as Rod Jenkins says in Masters of the Barebow, "I'm either wearing in, or wearing it out".

What I don't like about the tab, is it's more awkward to reach for an arrow and nock it with the tab.
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:36 pm

A tab and hunting, no thanks. :D

I have been using Martin Deer Skin gloves for over twenty years and like them - no real break in period as you can pretty much change to a new one and keep on shootin'. They are thin enough to feel the string and also the arra when drawing it from the quiver but thick enough to protect the fingers. They don't get a groove over time from the string either which is a good thing. They may not suit everyone but I like them.

Jeff
Deer Skin Glove.jpg
Deer Skin Glove.jpg (5.62 KiB) Viewed 6884 times

dmm

#6 Post by dmm » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:00 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:They don't get a groove over time from the string either which is a good thing.
My dura glove does have a small grove, or rather it isn't as smooth as when it was new.
David
--

longbowinfected

#7 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:18 pm

hunting and speed shooting is more difficult with a tab. I just cannot get used to gloves but have to agree that the glove Jeff talked about is pretty good. I tried that one and liked it the most.
I primarily shoot target/field/clout and use a very thin Saunders all weather tab. Very slippery/smooth. No adjustments or tightening required, your finger fits into one loop and I can wear it all day shooting hundreds of arrows quite comfortably. Excellent on wet days. I use the Selley's aerosol spray on silicon on my flights. In combination both work exceptionally well together. My current one has lasted three years without wear. When I go to a trad shoot I put tape stalls on my fingers rather than use a glove for the speed events, safari and runing boar. The other option would be extra serving and no tab.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

bigbob

#8 Post by bigbob » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:47 pm

Cant stand gloves myself, but each to their own. I use a smooth leather tab for targets, and agree that tabs arent much chop for grabbing an arra quick. Years ago I either shot bare fingers or wrapped bandaids around three fingers. I shoot split too, after years at 3 under and wouldnt go back.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

muntries

#9 Post by muntries » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:40 pm

I was using the martin deer skin but found that my finger tips were going numb, now I'm shooting the Big Shot Elk glove that I got from 3 rivers and not had a problem, also found my release is smoother with the latter glove.

I just moved from three under to split, not had any of the problems with my fingers but I was (and sometimes still am) pinching the nock of the arrow that was affecting arrow flight.
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

kimall

#10 Post by kimall » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:15 pm

Gidget when you draw split try to picture the middle finger doing the most of the drawing and the other 2 just sort of along for the ride.That wont be the case but I find it gives a better release also.
Cheers KIM

dmm

#11 Post by dmm » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:31 pm

muntries wrote: I just moved from three under to split, not had any of the problems with my fingers but I was (and sometimes still am) pinching the nock of the arrow that was affecting arrow flight.
I do this too. When I pinch the nock, I tend to see the arrow swing left on the rest as I draw, so I let down and do it properly. The trick that helps me when I've done it wrong, is to reposition my fingers with a slight gap, say 1 mm on either side of the nock on the string, as I draw I'm sure my fingers slide against it, but for some reason, if I start with a bit of space around it, it works for me.
David
--

Dodger

#12 Post by Dodger » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:26 pm

I started with a Bateman Cordovan tab and split fingers and have continued using split fingers. Decided to try a glove and bought an American Leather's Full Shot but reverted back to the Bateman tab. Decided to try a couple of other tabs and ordered a Black Widow and Fred Eichler Cordovan tab. The Black Widow is well made but may prove to be fiddly. I like the Eichler tab which in probablity is made by Bateman. It is thinner than the Bateman Cordovan tab, so may not feel as comfortable if shooting heavier poundages.

Full Shot glove - http://www.3riversarchery.com/Armguards ... oduct.html

Bateman Cordovan tab - http://www.3riversarchery.com/Armguards ... oduct.html

Black Widow tab - http://www.3riversarchery.com/Black+Wid ... eitem.html

Fred Eichler cordovan tab - http://www.3riversarchery.com/Fred+Eich ... eitem.html

longbow steve

#13 Post by longbow steve » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:36 am

1st problem I have encountered.
With 3 under, I Was shooting with my left eye shut. Why, well from what I can work out, I am left eye dominant :roll: So to counter that, I shut it & made the right eye do all the work :?
Hi Gidget, I am left eye dominant aswell and shoot split fingered. I close my left eye so you should be able to keep doing that without problem. I use a Black Widow Tab but do struggle in the speed shoots :) .

Nephew

#14 Post by Nephew » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:34 am

Hmm, very difficult to advise in writing, mate, I'd need to be there to show you how I shoot split. The only thing I can say is, the sore fingers get better once you develop a callous. My bottom finger has a real beauty and the others are coming along nicely.
Hard, calloused, working class hands are good for shaking hands with blokes that work in offices, too! :wink: :lol:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

wishsong

#15 Post by wishsong » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:05 am

As an addicted stump shooter and flinger ofarrows at whatever safely takes my fancy , I shoot split because i tend to take very long shots and try and shoot for groups at 70 and over . With 3 under my bowhand ends up in my field of vision ...

I shoot gloves , tabs and bare finger ...

I love the convinience of gloves , the feel of the shot with my Batemans and Saunders thin tabs , and hunting generally shoot bare fingered .

If I had to choose I'd shoot thin tabs ... 'cept I lose 'em all the time !

Nutgrass

#16 Post by Nutgrass » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:34 pm

Moreton wrote: Hard, calloused, working class hands are good for shaking hands with blokes that work in offices, too! :wink: :lol:
I agree, but apart from shooting arrows split fingers, I would have never thought about callouses there :lol:

longbowinfected

#17 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Been shooting split finger under the chin for six years and never developed a callous or any blisters/soreness though I only shoot 43# three or four hundred times a week min up to 600 a wek prior to tournaments. I put 50% power into the middle finger and divide the balancebetween the top and bottom fingers. I do use a finger spacer though in my single layer plastic Saunders tab.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

dartonian

#18 Post by dartonian » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:53 pm

Hi All,
I would love to be able to make the change from 3under to split as I would like to be able to shoot in Trad longbow division at ABA shoots. For some reason I can never seem to find a comfortable anchor with split fingers...
Cheers
Paul

bigbob

#19 Post by bigbob » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:22 pm

Paul I found the same initially. I have mainly shot compound barebow with fingers and tab up until recently, apart from a brief fling with a 80lb stickbow many years ago.With my compounds I put the tip of the middle draw finger at the end of my mouth closest to the ear. It is easily repeatable and as long as you adopt the habit of keeping head position uniform, it works well. Using a mate 's recurve recently which was 60lb at 28 and me drawing closer to 30'' i just drew back until the thumb knuckle of draw hand was my anchor point at the mouth. that way I wasnt overdrawing my mates old Damon Howatt and it was easier on me for the weekend.Hope this is of some help. Bob
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

GrahameA

#20 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi All.

$0.02 worth.

Why shoot 3 under?

I shoot using a traditional Mediterranean release. However, if I was ever to get serious about shooting Barebow Recurve I would learn to string walk. Having watched a few people who string walk it is a lesson in how accurate Barebow can be. Stringwalking may result in bows that sound horrible but it is impressively accurate.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

kerrille

#21 Post by kerrille » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:11 pm

as a kid i used a couple of used cut down shotgun cartridges in an old glove ...worked well

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

terryzac

#22 Post by terryzac » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:30 am

gidget i will show you the one i use when i get to gladstone. cant rember what make it is though. all the stiching is on top of the fingers not the side

terry

NORTHOZ

#23 Post by NORTHOZ » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:21 am

Hey mate,
Being left eye dominant,have you tried shooting a left handed bow ?,I have seen a few right handed,left eye dominant shooters change to left handed bows,and do well

dmm

#24 Post by dmm » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:55 am

NORTHOZ wrote:Hey mate,
Being left eye dominant,have you tried shooting a left handed bow ?,I have seen a few right handed,left eye dominant shooters change to left handed bows,and do well
wishsong, told me he changed hands, and is now a happy left handed shooter.
He said it was difficult at first because the left arm isn't as strong as the right, which makes drawing the bow seem harder.

Everything I've read says if you're left eye dominant, then you'll be a better left hand archer, than right hand.
You might still choose to shoot right handed due to availabilty of equipment etc.
David
--

Nutgrass

#25 Post by Nutgrass » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:01 am

NORTHOZ wrote:Hey mate,
Yer guys, I have thought about this. I have considered getting a cheap fibre glass bow (light #) to give it a go, but it's one of those things....... I'm scared :lol:

Gringa Bows

#26 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:05 am

Ay m ate ive got one of those bows over here if you wanna try,if you shoot better left handed you can just turn your bows upside down :idea: :lol:

kimall

#27 Post by kimall » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:11 am

A gringa would prob shoot better upside down as the tiller will be right finally. :P
Cheers KIM

terryzac

#28 Post by terryzac » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:12 am

i'll bring the one zac used last year at north albert to gladstone with me. can be shot left or right

terry

Gringa Bows

#29 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:20 am

Nah Kim,i tried it the other way,but its not easy shooting a bow standing on your head... :? :lol:

dmm

#30 Post by dmm » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:20 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:Ay m ate ive got one of those bows over here if you wanna try,if you shoot better left handed you can just turn your bows upside down :idea: :lol:
LB rod 55 wrote:Two Irishmen are hammering floorboards down in a house.
Paddy picks up a nail, realises it's upside down & throws it away.
He carries on doing this until Murphy says, "Why are you throwing
them away?"
"Because they're upside down," says Paddy.
"You daft prat," replies Murphy, "save 'em for the ceiling!!"
Was it just a joke?

You know an ILF type bow would work well here. Same limbs, but either a left or right handed riser.
Both are readily available.
David
--