Changing from 3 under, to split fingers.

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

little arrows

Re: Changing from 3 under, to split fingers.

#31 Post by little arrows » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:19 pm

Hey Gidget - is there a specific reason why you have changed style?
Just curious.

cheers
sue

Nutgrass

#32 Post by Nutgrass » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:45 am

Sue, to be honest the reason is because I have been told that is the way I should be shooting :wink:

I am not sure what I am going to do, if I shoot split for Gladstone, I am not going to shoot very well, in saying that, I have been practising split all week & when I tried to shoot a couple 3 under yesterday, it appears I have short circuited the brain & I can't shoot that way either :?

I think I may just go back to 3 under this week, re-calibrate the brain & then concentrate on split fingers after Gladstone. (other wise I could end up copping some of what I dealt out last weekend to RABBITS )
Once Gladstone is out of the way, I will concentrate hard on changing over. But 2 weeks isn't enough time for me to get it sorted for a shoot :lol:
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

GrahameA

#33 Post by GrahameA » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:28 am

Morning All.
gidget wrote:Sue, to be honest the reason is because I have been told that is the way I should be shooting :wink:
Hmm.......

The question I ask is, "Why"? I have sen some people who shoot well with the Traditional Mediterranean Release, others who shoot well 3 under and yet others who shoot well using a Thumbring or a modified pinch grip. I would like some stronger (empirical) evidence for why one style is better than the other.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Nutgrass

#34 Post by Nutgrass » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:23 am

Well I just spent the last hour or so practising 3 under again :lol: It took a bit, but the eye is back in now :wink: Well as good as it ever was :lol: So I will shoot 3 under for now & concentrate after the Gladstone shoot on what I am going to do 8)
I was worried for a bit though, I thought I had scrambled the brains 3 under aiming technique :?

GrahameA, I can certainly see why split is much better for Hunting (& lets face it, that is what I am all about) it is a much quicker, fluent release, all I have to worry about is locking on to the spot I want to hit. But to convert over from 3 under is going to take months of practise to get right, let alone become proficient to the standards I want to hunt (not going to happen in 2 weeks) :wink: So for me, I can see the benefits for me in a hunting situation. But if I was to only shoot targets, I don't think I would bother changing over.

So for the next week, I will continue shooting 3 under, then after that, it's game on & I suggest lots of shattered arrows in practise :twisted:
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

Gringa Bows

#35 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:32 am

if it aint broke why mess with it. :? :D

kimall

#36 Post by kimall » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:23 pm

Some bows are not as happy shot 3 under being noisier and some gap shooters have told me that style is easier 3 under but that is the only real difference I can think of.Shoot what is most comfy.
Cheers KIM