need some help

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

longbower45lb

need some help

#1 Post by longbower45lb » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:33 am

hey guys i have a brought my self a longbow i have have been shooting it alot and yester day i done a aba grading shoot in bendigo and i have noticed with my bow when i shooting the longer aba shots my point of aim is about 4 to 5 meters over the top of the bail and its making it hard to be accurate im shooting wooden arrows so my queistion is...if i change my arrows from wood to carbon will it flatten out the trajectory or is this just something i have to get used to....
cheers jesse

p.s my bow drew weight is 39 at 28 inch if that helps

rmcpb

Re: need some help

#2 Post by rmcpb » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:19 am

You can definitely flatten the flight of an arrow using lighter arrows of the same spine, can get expensive though. My son's horse bow shoots his woods like slow and graceful ballistic missiles but fall off over 20m, its a light bow. When we use 1716s with low profile feathers it shoots darts and they are good out to 40m at a push. He still likes the woods better though :)

Arrow tuning to a bow is a never ending art/science and the combinations seem endless.
Cheers
Rob Browne

Its OK to make a mistake,
Just try not to make the same one twice.........

dmm

#3 Post by dmm » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:16 pm

longbower45lb wrote:hey guys i have a brought my self a longbow i have have been shooting it alot and yester day i done a aba grading shoot in bendigo and i have noticed with my bow when i shooting the longer aba shots my point of aim is about 4 to 5 meters over the top of the bail and its making it hard to be accurate im shooting wooden arrows so my queistion is...if i change my arrows from wood to carbon will it flatten out the trajectory or is this just something i have to get used to....
cheers jesse

p.s my bow drew weight is 39 at 28 inch if that helps
Two other things to think about. Longer arrows will give you a lower point of aim.
Finger grip, either 3 under or split finger, will also give you a different point on.
For me split finger with 30" arrows gives me point on at about 40 paces/yards.
Three under gives me a much closer point on.

It's been suggested that three under and a closer point on, will serve me better in ABA shoots and hunting ranges, but I'm not converted yet.
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

alaninoz

#4 Post by alaninoz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:57 pm

Shooting carbons, or aluminiums, will put you in the ABA Longbow Modern division rather than the Longbow Traditional division. If you're happy with that then give the carbons a try.

You might also try changing your anchor point to change your point-on distance.
Alan

dartonian

#5 Post by dartonian » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:09 pm

Jesse,
Another option may be if you are using 5" feathers, cut back to 4". The larger 5" will drag your arrow at those longer distances. If you want to go even smaller, you will again be pushed into the Modern Longbow division as Traditional Longbow requires 12" of fletch.

I shoot both my D/R Bow and my straight longbow in Modern Longbow as I just can't swap from 3under to the Med release required by the trad longbow division. Consequently, I have moved to carbons for competition and there is a difference. (Use the wood grain carbons... it does make you feel better :D )

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Paul

longbower45lb

#6 Post by longbower45lb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:58 pm

hey guys i orded some new arrows today so i should have them next week ill see how i go with them..... the arrows are 35-55 gold tip traditional wood grain carbons now i have a new question what size feather should i use on them ill have 100 grain tips and the complete arrow lenth from nock to tip will be 30 inch.....

cheers jesse thanks fo the help

dartonian

#7 Post by dartonian » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:46 pm

Jesse,
As you have gone carbon and will be shooting modern longbow division, I'd be shooting the smallest feathers that can stabilise the arrow. If you are a relative newcomer, 4" will probably give a bit more stability and forgiveness of a bad release, but will cause more drag over the longer distances than say 3". Sorry if my answers are a bit cryptic, but so much in archery is "try it and see".
Cheers & good luck with the new arrows!
Paul

longbower45lb

#8 Post by longbower45lb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:58 pm

dartonian wrote:Jesse,
As you have gone carbon and will be shooting modern longbow division, I'd be shooting the smallest feathers that can stabilise the arrow. If you are a relative newcomer, 4" will probably give a bit more stability and forgiveness of a bad release, but will cause more drag over the longer distances than say 3". Sorry if my answers are a bit cryptic, but so much in archery is "try it and see".
Cheers & good luck with the new arrows!
Paul
thanks mate i have been using 3 inch feathers on my wooden arrows so i might give them a try first if they are no good i can simperly change them to bigger feathers.....
cheers jesse