Ideal Draw Weight?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

dartonian

Ideal Draw Weight?

#1 Post by dartonian » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi Ozbowers,

I've seen a few posts about ideal weight for hunting bows for particular game, but is there an ideal draw weight for field/3D/target? I figure there has to be an ideal range in being light enough to consistantly repeat good shooting form without compromising on performance.

I guess there must be a fairly wide range depending on each shooters physical abilities but as I'm no longer hunting these days, I dont really need the heavy poundage. Consequently, I'm thinking lighter bows may just be a bit more pleasant to shoot.

Any ideas would be appreciated...
Cheers,
Paul

longbowinfected

Re: Ideal Draw Weight?

#2 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Bit of a range being shot at target & field in AA.
split about 50/50 between 40-45 and 50-55 pound draw at 28 inch is mostly what I see.

I am a gap shooter. Lower poundage and heavy arrows mean that my gaps are related to on the target butt. Swap between arrow point on top, on gold at the bottom of the target, on the ground etc.

If you shoot 18 practice arrows and 144 arrows a day in two day tournaments the lower draw weight makes it fairly easy. Go to the AA Nationals and you shoot over 600 arrows for field, target and clout without extra practice...extra poundage can slow you up at the end.

It is of course relative.

I prefer to use a bow I like that feels smooth then find out what the poungage is. For me anything between 43#-49# in a 68" modern longbow is good; in ELB 72-77" 56# feels good.

I also try to shoot the one bow all the time and only a couple of sets of arrows. Too much variety does your head in.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

dartonian

#3 Post by dartonian » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:54 pm

Thanks Kev,

To be honest, I thought of the number of arrows shot at the different competitions and the variety of distances after I'd posted :oops: .
I was suprised though that you shoot as heavy as you do... I was thinking low 40's would probably be optimal for me. But was interested to know how a lighter bow of say high thirties would perform.

At the moment I find that when practising, my ability to replicate good form goes out the window before I'm ready to quit shooting... however, I have really only just started to get back into archery again and my stamina will probably improve over time and arrows shot.

I would be interested to hear if many shoot bows in the thirties for target work though.
Cheers,
Paul

longbowinfected

#4 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:08 am

I use my 43 pound bow for everything except clout.

I have had 33 pound bows and they go well at the shorter distances. Even when considering proportional weight arrows, most sufer with them at 50 and 60 metres and are not in the race for clout if shooting 145 metres.

I think your body performs best using the heaviest draw bow you can comfortably shoot a heap of arrows in a day. If the bow is way under you do not achieve that explosive release that is so important. Just my belief....others may feel differently. Different of course if you have had an injury and cannot shoot higher poundage.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Brumbies Country

#5 Post by Brumbies Country » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:51 pm

This is a good thread Paul. As you have pointed out, if you are no longer hunting anything of size you can drop down a bit. Ditto after injuries and the detrimental effects of aging. I had abdominal surgery late November and prior to that had been shooting 40-47lb selfbows ( mostly around 45lb) for two years. I decided as part of the surgery recovery process and to enable a quicker return to competitive archery (in my case ABA) I'd pull a 32lb recurve out of the cupboard and shoot it barebow. Initially I used some 1716 alloys I had but bought Beman Flash 630 carbons arrows as well. I've finally got more comfortable with 3 under. Point on 3 under with a the Bemans is 40m and close to that with the alloys. For 45 m I use the pressure button and 50m I use the shelf as sighting points. My point on using med release with self bows was generaly 30-35m and with a 40lb wood-fibreglass longbow around 40m at my anchor point.

The idea was to return to heavier bows but I now am free of the inevitable muscle and joint aches I had almost continuously with heavier bows. I've ordered a 35lb recurve and I now reckon that's what I'll stick with into the archery setting sun. With lighter bows obviously the lighter arrows give you a bit of leeway.

Simon