Brace Height

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Penrith_predator

Brace Height

#1 Post by Penrith_predator » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:23 pm

at the moment i have my bow strung up. It's 64" long with 60" string and the brace height is just over 6 inches. Was just wondering what a good Brace height to start with would be before i find that sweet spot. SHould i start at 7 and work my way up? what brace height do most people have their's set around?

gazza

Re: Brace Height

#2 Post by gazza » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:12 am

hi pp 7 inches will do to start, brace height will depend on what style of bow it is flat layed or reflex/deflex, the latter usually has less brace height. my bow which is re/deflex is about 7 1/2 inches or 5/8 of an inch above my thumb hope this helps gaz.
The older i get the better i was

Penrith_predator

#3 Post by Penrith_predator » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:38 pm

Hi gazza thanks for your reply. My bow is a TD Recurve Fox High Sierra 64" . Couldn't tell you if it was reflex deflex or not :?
. Starting at 7 and working towards 8 a good idea?

Matt

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:46 pm

Evening.

My opinion. Send an email to Fox and ask them what they recommend and how/where they measure it.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Dennis La Varenne

#5 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:30 pm

Hooray Matt,

My opinion - start with 1 inch of brace height for every foot of bow length - old archers' addage.

I tend to start with a very low braceheight of around 6 inches as measured from the back of the bow at the level of the arrow shelf, and wind it up from there until there is no real hand-shock. Your arrows should not be much less than 10 grains per pound of bow weight. That average amount of arrow mass is the other way to minimise hand-shock.

The reason I keep the brace height as low as possible is to maximise the length of the power stroke.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:44 pm

Matt,

To make sure I am on the right train you are referring to a composite bow and not a selfbow?

I agree with Dennis, - start with 1 inch of brace height for every foot of bow length - old archers' adage.

I prefer to take measurements from the DLPP. Handle /riser shapes may change but the DLPP is constant.

For a well designed composite bow the power stroke should not be a problem with a slight up or down adjustment on the brace height.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

AndyD

#7 Post by AndyD » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi Matt,

I usually start at 7.25" and work my way up or down as dependent on the bow.
Strangely enough all of my 60" recurves (Border Black Douglas, Schafer Silvertip, Martin and Ben Pearson) all seem to shoot sweetest at exactly 7.5"

We can have a look at your brace height tomorrow out at the range.
Catch you at 10:30,
Cheers,
Andy.
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.