Adjusting nocking points?

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

Penrith_predator

Adjusting nocking points?

#1 Post by Penrith_predator » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:57 pm

About to go out and start bareshaft tuning my bow. How do you guys have you nock point set when your bareshaft tuning? is there a trick to losening and re-crimping it at will when tuning your bow? also i recently bought a new string which didn't come with a nock :) , where can i pick one up, i've heard of people using dental floss but looks like a pain in the ****
Matt

rmcpb

Re: Adjusting nocking points?

#2 Post by rmcpb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 am

Hate to say it but when finding the nocking point I tie on dental floss and move it as needed till I find the spot. Then I crimp on a "real" nocking point or heat the floss to set it.
Cheers
Rob Browne

Its OK to make a mistake,
Just try not to make the same one twice.........

TomMcDonald

#3 Post by TomMcDonald » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:58 am

I put my nocks on very loosely so you don't damage them when you're moving them.
using one of those brace-height ruler things helps here because you can record where it was when it moves (because it's so loose:))
Tom

Sometimes the simplest things are the most profound.

www.billygoatbowstrings.com

Nephew

#4 Post by Nephew » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:56 am

Yeah, dental floss for me. It's actually really easy, Bud. Make a loop with the dental floss, lay it horizontally on your serving on your string, then when you think your close to your nocking point just tighten enough to hold it by sending the two loose ends through the loop and pulling tight. Make quite a few circuits of the string to build it up to about 1 mm, tie a temporary knot in the floss to hold it in place and start testing. Once you find your sweet spot use a lighter to set it, then put a layer of glue, I just use "Fletchtite", all over it to help hold it in place without unravelling. You'll need to do a little maintenance from time to time, but without nock pliers for the brass collars I see no other way. Ever since I first saw this I've been using floss and I reckon it's great.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!