Split fingers vs 3 fingers under

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

robmoore

Re: Split fingers vs 3 fingers under

#31 Post by robmoore » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:21 pm

Brumbies Country wrote:I have a parting question. What is recommended for attaching plastic fletches to carbon arrows? I've used Fletch-Tite platinum to attach feather fletches to woods for ages with neary a casualty, but I've had a significant plastic fletch detachment from carbon using the same stuff. Some hard action on arrows through the experimenting didn't help.
Simon
Simon I think you might find Easton's Arrow Tuning and Maintenance Guide to be an authoritative comment for your question and as a general reference. (Page 25 of my version) It can be downloaded from http://www.eastonarchery.com/pdf/tuning_guide.pdf . I assume that the vanes are not being physically damaged by contact with the riser etc... I find that if cleaned and applied correctly the vanes would usually tear before the adhesive would fail. I often used Loctite 454 gel because of its fast drying time but most of the reputable adhesives should be OK.

Regards
Bob

PS
Actually I now see that Alan has pretty much answered your question but his response was not visible to me when I first started to reply.
Bob

Brumbies Country

#32 Post by Brumbies Country » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:51 am

Thanks Alan and Bob

Thats very good feedback and I appreciate it. Re your comment on feathers Alan, yes I'm fast thinking that they are the way to go. I've used them for quite a few years on wood shafts. I suppose I have that concern about wet weather, but having said that I can't recall many wet shoots over that period, but the times, as they say in the classics, they are a changing.

Simon

longbowinfected

#33 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:11 am

I tie my feathers on after using tape [woods and alloys]. Not saying to use tape but the tie factor does seem to stop flattening the feathers a fair bit in the rain. There is always the magic waterproofing powder too.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Brumbies Country

#34 Post by Brumbies Country » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:28 am

longbowinfected wrote:I tie my feathers on after using tape [woods and alloys]. Not saying to use tape but the tie factor does seem to stop flattening the feathers a fair bit in the rain. There is always the magic waterproofing powder too.

Kev
Thanks Kev

I've used the shoe waterproofing stuff from an aerosol can too. Seemed to work OK.

Simon