which helical

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

ozzy

which helical

#1 Post by ozzy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:17 pm

just seen a thing on a dvd i am watching .....question is what way should i fletch my arrows i am right handed should i be using left helical twist or right helical twist on my arrows..they say left for right hand right for left hand

mick

Nephew

Re: which helical

#2 Post by Nephew » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:02 pm

From what I've seen mate, it really makes no difference. Just make sure that once you've started fletching your shafts either left or right they are all the same in that dozen.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Benny Nganabbarru

#3 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 am

Yep, it doesn't matter what fletching you use, left or right wing, as long as they are all the same on the arrow. I've happily used both wings at various times.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

ozzy

#4 Post by ozzy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:24 am

thanks gents for the replies

mick

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:33 am

As the others have said mate but also remember that when fletching helical you have to have a left or right helical fletching jig to match the feathers you are using. In australia you will find 99% of the feathers available are right wing.

Jeff

ozzy

#6 Post by ozzy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:48 am

jeff i do have a right wing fletching jig...mate while im at it as well i have been bare shafting woods and am using 45/49 sitka wood shafts have got them down to 29.5" long 125 gr f/p with a 7.5" brace height my bow is somewhere in between 45and 50lb.the arrows are shooting slightly week bare shaft taking in account that they have to fletched yet and stained and laquered which will stiffen the arrow up am i going the right way about it or have i got it all around the wrong way i have been playing with this recurve trying to get it right

cheers mick

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:13 am

The only difference left or right can make is if you use carbons and target points, as with a right hand shooter and left helical it can unwind the points a little as it hits the target butt.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:14 am

You don't mention what your draw length is but if it is 28" I would think that those shafts would be a little on the weak side. If you were able to shorten them more to suit your draw length I think it would be better. I have my arras approx an inch longer (at back of point) than my draw length.

Jeff

ozzy

#9 Post by ozzy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:18 am

have been mucking around jeff and as it turns out for me to comfortably draw and hold the bow it is a draw length of 25 inches and on my digital scales 42lb and i have upped the head weight to 145gr

mick

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:47 pm

Each one of us has to set our bow and arras up to match. If it was me I would still use the 125 grain points with those arras and bow weight and draw length but I am not there to see how your arras are flying.

Jeff

ozzy

#11 Post by ozzy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:58 pm

have got them flying ok now just had to settle down a bit i think jeff and take my time think i was rushing my shots a bit and getting bad form

thanks

mick