Arrow weight and Trajectory

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

matt61

Arrow weight and Trajectory

#1 Post by matt61 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:32 pm

Can anyone tell me how much arrow drop would a fifty
grain heavier arrow have over twenty meters approximately.
I had a pundit tell me onetime that a twenty grains heavier arrow
would drop eight inches more over twenty metres :? which
sounds excessive.
cheers
Matt

kimall

Re: Arrow weight and Trajectory

#2 Post by kimall » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:11 pm

Bit tricky to say outright as many things affect the arrow flight like if the weight is over the full length or just the tip as I have found to a point heavier tips can make the arrow shoot higher.Over the whole length 50 grains is not even noticable as far as drop goes with my set up over that distance 30 mtrs seems to be were the drop really starts.
Cheers KIM

ed

#3 Post by ed » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:59 pm

easy way to know is to shoot some of the old arrows and some of the new at 20m using the same aiming point - be surprised if it was more than a couple of cm's

GrahameA

#4 Post by GrahameA » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:16 pm

Evening All.
matt61 wrote:Can anyone tell me how much arrow drop would a fifty
grain heavier arrow have over twenty meters approximately.
I had a pundit tell me onetime that a twenty grains heavier arrow
would drop eight inches more over twenty metres :? which
sounds excessive.
It is not hard work out. However a complete set of information is required. Essentially the question revolves around the time of flight and that is directly related to the arrow velocities. The faster the arrow the shorter the time of flight and the smaller the variation between the two.

What are the arrow velocities of the two arrows? If you do know that that then if you know the total mass of one arrow and its velocity you can approximate the velocity of the other. You can also assume that there will be negligible change in velocity over the difference.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Chase N. Nocks

#5 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:15 am

There are a number of archery software products that will help working out this type of information.

eg. http://www.pinwheelsoftware.com/ but there are others and some I have found on the net free

eg. http://www.outdoorsden.com/archery/archbal.asp

I don't currently own one but as Grahame says there are certain values that need to be submitted to work these things out.

Also considering the variables involved with finger release (all else being equal ie arrow weight) I think working on averages for arrow speed would be you best indicator.

It's an interesting question that I have been thinking about lately especially in regards to gaping and even string walking...with string walking you have the added complication though of trying to find the best compromise for spining your arrows...

Cheers
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"