Instinctive shooting - an instinctive shooter's perspective

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

DrAK DaRippa

Re: Instinctive shooting - an instinctive shooter's perspect

#91 Post by DrAK DaRippa » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:35 am

for something to be instinctual, it is something that occurs without prior training.

the word instinctive does not mean exactly the same thing. it means do something without conscious thought.

so to aim without thinking is probably a misnomer too, i find that in the minds eye, the space between your two hands (when drawn) becomes a line.

using this line inside your mind, while staring at the target and ignoring the temptation to use your equipment to point at a certain spot is what i would call instinctive.

i find, perhaps due to the lack of shelf on my bow, pointing my arrow at the target is going to make me miss. if i focus on the target, and try to make my arrow end up there i find that my anchor point becomes less of a necessity.

the only thing i find myself able to correct after a miss is my form, so that's where i find a use in my anchor point, it keeps my form consistent.

but as had been said previously, trying to adjust your shot up or down, according to the last miss causes usually double the intended correction, and you make the same mistake on the opposite side. (very odd that..)

one thing i believe must be instinctive is to shoot without anchor point, drawing the bow while held low in front of you, and still being reasonably accurate, that is: "to shoot without a visible reference point" i think