Bills questions

Questions and answers. How to tune your bow, match those arrows and how to shoot your bow or hit the target. Its all here!

Moderator: Moderators

longbow steve

Bills questions

#1 Post by longbow steve » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:12 pm

Viewed this DVD and found that it took away from me a number of things that I believed to be correct, , the DVD presenter stated that a right hand archer needs to shoot arrows fletched with left hand helical. I always thought that the left hand helical would spin away the arrow from its true flight path for a right handed shooter . not so much the worry about the fletching hitting the arrow shelf. The setting up of the arrow on top of the nocking point instead of under. Under the nocking point, stops the arrow from sliding off. Dipping of an arrow without an overflow bowl. Just a couple of points to ponder for now.........Bill

Hi Bill, it doesn't matter what feather configuration you use unless you are using a single bevel configured broadhead as they spiral on penetration and you may aswell have the shaft spinning the way it is going to turn upon impact.
2 nocking points are best as preferred by most top archers. Nocking the arrow above has it's merits in the fact that archers tend to force the arrow down on release. Nocking the arrow below has it's merits as it will prevent the shaft riding up the string when standing with the arrow on the string and will be better for speed shooting and 3 under type finger configurations.
Another point about feather fletch is that the shafts dont spin until leaving the bow so clearance should not be an issue. I recently recieved some arrows from Tommo that are fletched with left wing and I see now issue in arrow flight or clearance etc. Steve

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Bills questions

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:49 pm

Bill, IMO most of these type things are personal preference and can depend on the type of archery you do.

I'm a hunter and do some field archery so I would never use two nocking points becauce that would be a hindrance for me as I sometimes need to place my arra on the string without looking and sometimes I need to do this very quickly. I also nock under my nocking point as it helps to hold the arra in place when stalking.

I agree with Steve; use whatever wing fletch you like so long as you use only one wing type on any given arra. :D I am left handed and have always used right wing feathers but only because in Australia they have always been readily available.

I wipe my finish onto my arras using a rag so no need for any concern over overflow bowls etc.

Jeff

Benny Nganabbarru

#3 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:55 pm

Left or right wing won't matter at all, as long as they're the same on the arrow.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Benny Nganabbarru

#4 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:57 pm

One nock point for me too, although I have tried two. There really is no difference, so I stick with one.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

dmm

#5 Post by dmm » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:31 pm

Ben Kleinig wrote:One nock point for me too, although I have tried two. There really is no difference, so I stick with one.
I attended a Rod Jenkins clinic recently. Rod says use 2 nocking points (arrow between). He says slow motion photography shows the arrow slips down as you draw, and the lower nocking point stops this.
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.