Man Vs Wild SBS

If you enjoy the Aussie bush and like living off what it has to offer, then you will find some great information here! Camping, Hiking, Bush Bumming and old world skills.

Moderator: Moderators

Trad Bound

Man Vs Wild SBS

#1 Post by Trad Bound » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:54 am

It starts 5 Oct 8.30 pm on SBS. At long last straight after Top gear.
I wonder if he will show me how not to break arras
I hope so.
Cheers
Broken Arra

Len

Re: Man Vs Wild SBS

#2 Post by Len » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:27 am

Really looking forward to this show. I have been watching survivor man with Les Stroud, a Canadian fella which is a really good show as well. It will be interesting to see how they compare. One thing I always think watching survivor man is how much easier it would be if you had a bow and a few arrows, unless you are Tony of course and then you would probably brake them all on the first day and still starve ! :)
Hmmmmmmm.............

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Bill » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:22 am

G'day len,
you say, I have been watching survivor man with Les Stroud, a Canadian fella I would like to know where do I look to also watch his stories..thanks

Len

#4 Post by Len » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:49 am

G'day Bill, I was lucky enough to be given the show on disc that a mate had downloaded for me. It was showing on the Discovery chanel a while back I think. Its a good show, his challange is to survive for seven days with just what gear a person may have on them when a day trip goes wrong or plane crash, boat capsive ect.
Hmmmmmmm.............

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Bill » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:41 am

Hi Len, and thanks for the information.
hope to be back from Canberra to watch the program next monday

DylanK

#6 Post by DylanK » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:22 am

All of Man vs Wild and Survivor man episodes are on youtube. Iv seen all of Bear grylls ones, but not les.

Coach

#7 Post by Coach » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:32 pm

Bear Grylls is a tosser ! He was out here and ate a Diamond Python ( protected ) There was no need for it ,, he could have just said " This Snake is edible" ,, but no ,, he had to get all dramatic and kill it ! Not like he NEEDED to ,, I am sure the crew would have had some food for him . Cant stand the guy !

Vladtheimpaler

#8 Post by Vladtheimpaler » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:33 pm

Yeah bear is a bit too arty farty for my liking...........Les stroud is much better more realistic info and of course he has no back up..............

AndyD

#9 Post by AndyD » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:42 pm

Coach wrote:Bear Grylls is a tosser ! He was out here and ate a Diamond Python ( protected ) There was no need for it ,, he could have just said " This Snake is edible" ,, but no ,, he had to get all dramatic and kill it ! Not like he NEEDED to ,, I am sure the crew would have had some food for him . Cant stand the guy !
I thought it was an olive python (not endangered) from memory.
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Bill » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:06 am

I'm very sorry :( to say that I have to agree with Coach.
In watching that "show" this "Bear Grylls" charactor does not at all demonstrate, IMO, the best ways to try and survive being in a bad situation or location. He is always on the move with only a bottle of water, a knife, a flint stick and a lenght of nylon parachute cord. There is no way as indicated in a couple of the shows, that a person by keeping on the move in such temperatures with one bottle of water would survive for more than forty eight hours. He may as well also carry with him a couple plastic bags, (along with a number of other items) they would then, at least allow him to catch and collect water.

David

#11 Post by David » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Bear got busted for faking a lot for the camera ie being remote but really only a hundred yards from a road
there was an expose(sic) on u tube
still better than a lot of other tellie shows imo
Dave

jindydiver

#12 Post by jindydiver » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:30 am

My son likes to watch it and he tells me not to worry about how serious it is, "Dad, the TV guide calls it "entertainment" not "documentary"" :lol:
Last night he was supposed to be miles inside the jungle yet the opening shots of him setting out for home were done with a boom (and very artistically too). I am dead sure the camera guy didn't parachute down with that on his back :)
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

muntries

#13 Post by muntries » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:43 pm

Not seen this new one but I always liked some of the stuff Ray Mears does. I remember a week he did once living along the coast of Scotland living off plants and shell fish and he had a video to give a video diary but that was it. Good practical stuff, not the sensational Steve Irwin stuff. I remember he was using a fungi to light fires, aparently it produces heat when broken open or something.

Good book on edible and useful plants in SE Aus is called Koorie Plants, Koorie People. Good book and looks at other stuff other than food.
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

gundy

#14 Post by gundy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:01 pm

This is an old age argument.

Simply put, Ray Mears is a more homely, genuine survival expert that portrays more of an 'indigenous style' of survival or bushcraft. He is considered by many peers to be 'educational' and bases his teachings from history and its people.

Bear is based largely from the 'Military' style of survival, a crashed plane, car out the middle of nowhere and left with the basics as found from that crash site etc and so on.

I like both, however Jindy's son said it best. Bear Grylls is 'entertainment' and I enjoy it as much as I do watching Mears' stuff.

Les Shroud is another angle (Survivor man) and can be best described as in-between the two above.

Dont forget our own 'Bush Tucker Man'!!!! Again, very much like the Ray Mears school of teaching.

Crowcreek2

#15 Post by Crowcreek2 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:36 pm

...well stated mate - good points can be drawn/considered from all the shows mentioned. Simply put a certain amount of 'entertainment' has been included to the detrement of actual accepted survival practice, but hey its still fun to watch!

Chase N. Nocks

#16 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:27 pm

Yeah Gundy, I'll go along with that. :wink:
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

Antonio

#17 Post by Antonio » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:06 pm

I watched the episode about the Patagonia Argentina where I was born .I got a lot if insight about crevasses and they're dangers .exposure to the could and how it can affect someone .why not to eat ice .about having a plan B if in case some one gets wet in these could places .and about following a river in case of getting lost .
on an overcast day you cant read the sun for weather its north or south east west .how to try to prevent frost byte by trying to keep the fingers on the hand and feet moving.
how important to make an igloo or a dug out to get out of the wind chill factor .they had plenty of water there but very cold not a lot of food around windy and rainy .
surviving a desert would be a different story.

as far as eating stuff like wild berries and grass I don't know I would be cautious as eating the wrong stuff could be eating poison .

Wolfgang D

#18 Post by Wolfgang D » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:54 pm

That 'Bear' guy is a real show pony.
I was at first looking forward to the show but soon decided that I'd rather see the snakes eat HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In one episode he found a spring in the middle of the desert and ate a frog he found there. It was probably one of the two frogs that live there and keep that population alive! A real d**k head in my opinion!
He often kills an animal takes a couple of mouthfuls, gets up and walks off on it! Not a very good "survival" plan!
Hopefully he gets charged for killing protected spiecies!

Cheers, Wolfgang
'Listen one hundred times. Ponder one thousand times. Speak only once.'