A couple of new Bushcraft knives - Garcia & Jawerth

If you enjoy the Aussie bush and like living off what it has to offer, then you will find some great information here! Camping, Hiking, Bush Bumming and old world skills.

Moderator: Moderators

gundy

A couple of new Bushcraft knives - Garcia & Jawerth

#1 Post by gundy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:52 pm

After what seems like an eternity on the waiting list, my Skookum Bushcraft Tool came in the post! This is a Bushcraft knife concept by Mors Kochanski and hand crafted by Rod Garcia; http://www.skookumbushtool.com/

Mors' book, 'Bush Craft - Outdoor Skills & Wilderness Survival is a World wide best seller. If you have not got it, I can only suggest you jump to eBay right now and grab one! They are pretty cheap and well worth the money.

The knife, brilliant! It has a tig welded pommel for hammering, A2 tool steel blade, scandi grind and the most excellent ergonomics I have found on a knife.

Just as I was getting over the excitement of this parcel, another came a couple of days later! It was from our very own Steven Jawerth. I opened it knowing what was inside, as I had organised for Steve to build me a scandi style Bushcraft knife after seeing his one for sale not long before the request. Well, I can tell you guys....after unwrapping the knife - I WAS BLOWN AWAY!!! I did not expect anything like it. Dont get me wrong, I have seen Steves workmanship before and even owned one of Steve's bows so knew his workmanship was nothing short of excellence, but the overall execution of this knife, combined with the home and hand made sheath and ferro rod were simply staggering... First impression was how the handle fit my hand so well, then the fit n finish of the entire package - It was all brilliant. If you dont have one yet, I strongly recommend that you speak to Steve about the option of getting one on your belt. I might do a review in an upcoming Stikbow eMag.

Thanks Steve!
Attachments
The Skookum Bush Tool.  Worth the 2 year wait!!!
The Skookum Bush Tool. Worth the 2 year wait!!!
DSCF0818.JPG (164.3 KiB) Viewed 8134 times
Steven Jawerths workmanship - Superb!
Steven Jawerths workmanship - Superb!
DSCF0816.JPG (148.03 KiB) Viewed 8134 times

piggy

Re: A couple of new Bushcraft knives - Garcia & Jawerth

#2 Post by piggy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:06 pm

Top looking knives there Mate

blu-dog

#3 Post by blu-dog » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:31 pm

Mate...love that Jarweth scandi blade!

I have ordered a bow and knife from Steve...can't wait to get them!
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

stringnstik

#4 Post by stringnstik » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:38 am

that Jawerth blade looks magic, great work!
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

pdccr

#5 Post by pdccr » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:24 am

That second one looks amazing. :shock:
Cheers, Toby

Coach

#6 Post by Coach » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:02 pm

Damn fine work on that Scandi Steve :D And thats coming from someone that doesnt usually like the look of a Scandi :shock: Yours seems to be in proportion ,, compared to those that usually just have a SLAB for a handle :roll: It oozes "sleekism" 8) What type of steel is in it ?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:46 pm

I like the look of the Skookum the best - nice knife.

Jeff

tracker

#8 Post by tracker » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:37 pm

Gundy those knives are beautiful. I normally don't like the shape of the 'scandia's' but those are both really lovely. I see the skookum is available in O1. What is yours made of?

That O1 hunter I bought off you years ago has butchered and skinned more than a dozen sambar now and is still like a razor with just a few touches of the diamond steel. <thanks Kimall.. lol>

Mick
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

gundy

#9 Post by gundy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:29 pm

Mines A2 mate. My steel of choice would be D2, with A2 a close second...

Steven J

#10 Post by Steven J » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:10 am

Thanks to all for the positive feedback (sounds like Ebay now :))

Coach the steel is 1095 and hardened to 59 Rc. The shape is a melding of scandi's. The blade is like a Finnish Leuku (small machette - this one is probably about the smallest of that type). The wider blade keeps a nice curved portion of the blade for skinning with a flatter section for carving and slicing. The dropping heel on the handle is more Norwegian in influence. The Norwegians tend to sculpt their handles more than the Swede's who tend to make a handle so that you know you have payed every cent of your hard earned money for the blade. The Finnish tend to have straight handles that have swollen bellies and a spreading handle butt.

Guy asked for a bit of a surprise blade after providing me with 2 pictures. I must say that this looks nothing like the pictures supplied. I am glad he liked it, I was a bit worried.

Well, after a long break, it is nice to make a post again. Things have been a little busy this year. A third child really makes a difference to your spare time.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

gundy

#11 Post by gundy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:31 pm

And guys, for the record, I do not have a lanyard fitted for the ferro rod which, if carried upside down is a must!

Steve did design this sheath however, for upward carry of the ferro rod, but I have to shave 1-2mm off the head so that it locks into place within the sheath design. Steve did not have the ferro with him at the time he made my sheath, but its damn close!

Nephew

#12 Post by Nephew » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:51 am

Both knives look great, but your a bloody genius, Steve! Your workmanship is so precise it's amazing. Well done. I love the kind of refined "prehistoric" or Vicking-ish feel of a Scandi, I've got one of Steves, and it's edge is like none of the others I've collected over the last couple of years.
Steves sheaths are something special, too. No clips or anything, but you can hold the thing upside down, shake the hell out of it, and that knife will not move!
I hope the boys you teach know what Mr. Jarwerth does for recreation, matey, it would be good for them to see this stuff.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

charlievee

#13 Post by charlievee » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:56 pm

Really fine knives. I'm a big scandi fan - I love the first one (Skookum ?), normally bushcraft knives have a spear point (to facilitate hole boring, I think). I don't like the spear point - I have no problem boring a hole with a normal scandi blade. I've bored a hole through some birdseye maple when I rehandled a firesteel - the scandi blade had no problem. Keeping the blade razor sharp really helps too. Regards, Charlie.

Wolfgang D

#14 Post by Wolfgang D » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:59 pm

nice knives!
On the first picture the small chain in the background caught my atention.
When we were travelling in WA we stopped about 200kms north of Newman and I found a chain exactly the same in a almost cave-like rock ledge!
It's exactly the same as the one in the picture and about half a meter long and it joins in a circle at a kind of clip thingy...
Anyone know what it is? It's been turning in my mind ever since I found it mid last year...

Cheers, Wolfgang
'Listen one hundred times. Ponder one thousand times. Speak only once.'