bushcraft / survival schools

If you enjoy the Aussie bush and like living off what it has to offer, then you will find some great information here! Camping, Hiking, Bush Bumming and old world skills.

Moderator: Moderators

trikegeoff

bushcraft / survival schools

#1 Post by trikegeoff » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:07 am

i have been reading alot of forums from other countries, the uk mainly. i have found that there is alot of bushcraft or survival schools where groups can spend a weekend and learn these skills and put them to use in the actual environment (the bush) i was just wondering if there was any school like this in Australia, in new south wales inparticular.
if so, has anyone been to them and how do they rate?

Reece

Re: bushcraft / survival schools

#2 Post by Reece » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:53 am

Hi Mate,

I went on one as a kid and loved it. I'd do one again and plan to with my kids.

I found this: http://www.aussurvivalist.com/survivalcourses.htm

Hope it helps.

Rich.
A builders house is never built, a mechanics car is never fixed.

Roadie

#3 Post by Roadie » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:02 am

Hi Mate, you could look at the Army Reserves, they are into bushcraft and camping skills, will also teach you how to use compass and GPS, you get to use various weapons etc, and I think you get paid for the time you are in the reserves. Mind you I haven't been involved for a very long time, you meet and make great friends. Hope this helps. Cheers Roadie

losty

#4 Post by losty » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:36 pm

The reserves isnt always an option though as you need to pass several tests these days before theyll let you join.
There's no adventure in knowing where you are.

tracker

#5 Post by tracker » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:52 pm

trikegeoff wrote:i have been reading alot of forums from other countries, the uk mainly. i have found that there is alot of bushcraft or survival schools where groups can spend a weekend and learn these skills and put them to use in the actual environment (the bush) i was just wondering if there was any school like this in Australia, in new south wales inparticular.
if so, has anyone been to them and how do they rate?
Matey I lived in England for two years and it's really interesting their fascination with 'survival schools'... It was like an addiction... I kinda think it's because basically the UK is like living in the middle of a large dairy farm.. lol... I was working for a large IT company.. american.. and they just love this stuff for 'team buildiing"...lol.

I got sent to a terrible one once.. for 3 days in Wales... was sleeting, snowing etc... my 'team' at work was 9 ladies and 2 blokes. Guess who spent 3 days carrying the gear for 11 people split two ways.. one small hint.. they both had testicles... :mrgreen:

What are you interested in learning?

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

rossy

#6 Post by rossy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:00 pm

Tracker, I'm interested. how 2 is divided into 9 ?:lol:

Dickie

tracker

#7 Post by tracker » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:32 pm

rossy wrote:Tracker, I'm interested. how 2 is divided into 9 ?:lol:

Dickie
Hahahahahaa... matey .. trust me at minus 3 and sleeting and having to maintain a "positive california attitude" for the assessors it wasn't an issue... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

kimall

#8 Post by kimall » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:00 pm

I bet you were glad you didnt have to carry any hey Mick... :P
Cheers KIM

tracker

#9 Post by tracker » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:40 pm

kimall wrote:I bet you were glad you didnt have to carry any hey Mick... :P
Cheers KIM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mick.

trikegeoff

#10 Post by trikegeoff » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:22 pm

thanks guys
i dont think ill be joining the reserves just to try there survival school but its good to know they have one.
i will investigate the survival schools offered in the blue mountains.
thank you all for your input

tracker

#11 Post by tracker » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:03 pm

Geoff there is also a bowhunting weekend being offered shortly by the Game Council in NSW. I believe it covers some camping/bushcraft as well as the other stuff they'll be doing?

Is that the sort of stuff you are interested in learning?

Mick

Wolfgang D

#12 Post by Wolfgang D » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:20 pm

G'day
'Nature Philosophy' is something to have a look at.
I think i'll be following it up.

Cheers, wolfgang
'Listen one hundred times. Ponder one thousand times. Speak only once.'

dmm

#13 Post by dmm » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Roadie wrote:Hi Mate, you could look at the Army Reserves, they are into bushcraft and camping skills, will also teach you how to use compass and GPS, you get to use various weapons etc, and I think you get paid for the time you are in the reserves. Mind you I haven't been involved for a very long time, you meet and make great friends. Hope this helps. Cheers Roadie
While I'm sure it is a good way to learn some bushcraft, ask yourself if you are prepared to do a tour somewhere like Timor or Afghanistan serving your country and risking your life.

There are a lot of bushcraft resources online, and many books on the subject. Most things can be practiced safely in your own time.
If you want to join the army, do it because you want to be a soldier, not a boy scout.
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

Kanin-maskwa

#14 Post by Kanin-maskwa » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi Trikegeoff
I would advise that if you decide to utilize books and schools take everything with a grain of salt this includes Internet info. Think things through about what is being taught and if it seems logical.
There have always been a lot of instructors and authors of survival/bushcraft that are only regurgitating the same bs over and over.
I come from a long lineage of bush and primitive living skills. ( Grandfather Metis Grandmother Cree)( great grandfather was a Voyageur but settled with the plains Cree)
Anyway the point is I have been taught many skills through my youth but had such an affection for bush craft that I read and practiced skills from every book I could get my hands on. I quickly realized that most of what kept popping up in books over and over again was clearly first written then recopied from authors that never truly put these ideas to use.
Don't get me wrong there are valuable things to learn from books trouble is identifying the wheat from the chaff when you have no idea which is which.
If you can't learn from someone that actually knows and you must learn from books, try out
everything and if it's not working right then modify the idea. Think of every thing being
taught as a principle. If the principle won't hold up then the idea is garbage. If the principle
is sound then try to figure out how to execute the principle in a real scenario.

Next take 95% of what Bear Grylls says and does and try to wipe it from your memory.
Following his advise you would be dead in no time. Even he can't do as he says and if it
were not for the wonders of TV land and editing he would be dead too. I'm not saying he does not have some good survival principles, but his execution and portrayal on tv is a farse.

Bush tuckerman I respect him, I used to watch him sometimes in Canada and he seemed
wise.
I hope this helps.

FWIW I believe Bushcraft firecraft survival skills and primitive skills all go hand in hand and and all have overlap. Personally I utilize primitive skills as my main foundation even if I do a pure "survival" trip. When rough camping primitive skills cover most bushcrafts and can turn rough camping into comfort, or dire survival situations into a ....well a primitive living situation with a goal of being rescued, either by self or by others. There is a definate mental difference between living/coping primitively and meerly surviving. The mind is vital to the outcome. :wink:
Kaninmaskwa

trikegeoff

#15 Post by trikegeoff » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:56 pm

kanin-maskwa
you are so right, alot of the stuff you see on tv (bear gryls) and you tube is crap, it is very easy to see the usefull from the stupid. and you are also right in saying that most things that are writen in books on survival are rehashed from writings from a previous time and people.
but i still maintain that their is alot of knowledge and skills that are being lost as time and generations go by. its these skills that very much interest me, and im sure it interests alot of other people. the fact that schools or classes can be conducted in the usa and the uk indicate that there is alot of people that have this interest. my original comment was made, purly in the hope of finding such a school in australia, and i have come up with very little

bear74

#16 Post by bear74 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:53 pm

Maybe look to see if there are aboriginal groups in your area that may let join them on a culture camp, the best ever bushmen in Australia were aboriginals or those who embraced aboriginal ways to live in the bush. You'd be well off on your quest if you follow that path!
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

JoeLethbridge

#17 Post by JoeLethbridge » Wed May 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Have you tried Bushlore? They have a great site at www.bushloreaustralia.com.au
Cheers, joe :mrgreen:

perry

#18 Post by perry » Thu May 09, 2013 5:03 am

Bushcraft Oz is a tremendous Forum, it has helped me refine and expand my skills. I have seen links to Bushcraft Coarses on it but they where in Sth East Queensland and Dear as Poison.

http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/forum.php

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

littlejohn59

#19 Post by littlejohn59 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:56 pm

Roadie wrote:Hi Mate, you could look at the Army Reserves, they are into bushcraft and camping skills, will also teach you how to use compass and GPS, you get to use various weapons etc, and I think you get paid for the time you are in the reserves. Mind you I haven't been involved for a very long time, you meet and make great friends. Hope this helps. Cheers Roadie
Hey Roadie, you sound like an advertisement program. The only part you left out was," Quit your whining, people pay to to do this and here we are paying you... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roadie

#20 Post by Roadie » Thu May 09, 2013 7:29 pm

Ay littlejohn59, its your shout, and no Cheap stuff either. Cheers Roadie.

Jim

#21 Post by Jim » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:38 am

The few survival/tracking/bushcraft civilian programs I've heard of have all seemed very expensive for the couple of days worth of training you get. Consider that the army trackers course that runs for about 4 weeks, no days off, still produces guys that are very average trackers. Meanwhile the standard civilian tracking courses I've seenm run over 2 days and cost between about $300 and $500. I don't think that is money well spent.

My experience has been that while formal courses and training are valuable, you learn more and develop more by spending time in the bush with older/more experienced fellas. Whether that's going on a hunting trip with a crusty old bowhunter or doing something like reserves, I reckon that's where you'll learn good principles/tricks etc and have the opportunity to immediately reinforce those lessons with a lot of practical application.

I guess the point is be cautious about spending a lot of money on a course. Best of luck :wink:

Jim
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

ASI

#22 Post by ASI » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:04 pm