i awoke a boy. i go to sleep a man. primitive fire.

If you enjoy the Aussie bush and like living off what it has to offer, then you will find some great information here! Camping, Hiking, Bush Bumming and old world skills.

Moderator: Moderators

clinton miller

i awoke a boy. i go to sleep a man. primitive fire.

#1 Post by clinton miller » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:52 pm

started my 1st primitive fire today. i used the bow drill method with rawhide cordage i made. the hearth board was green wattle, the spindle was black cypress and the bearing block was an old bone. the tinder was stringy bark.

can't wipe the smile off my face.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

bigbob

Re: i awoke a boy. i go to sleep a man. primitive fire.

#2 Post by bigbob » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:08 pm

Well done mate!. I'm flat out starting one with petrol and matches!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

perry

Re: i awoke a boy. i go to sleep a man. primitive fire.

#3 Post by perry » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:34 pm

Way Cool Clinton :Fire Its a big Deal and an important Skill, I applaud you ! I've never tried Friction Fire. I was Wrapt when I lit my first Flint N Steel Fire and Cooked a Meal on it. Only Yesterday I was Driving the Work Van past the Lagoon and Boora Ring at Nudgee and there was a Group of Primary School Children sitting around trying there Hand at Friction Fire Spinning a Stick in their Hands. I'd say a lesson in Aboriginal Studies was going on. Wish I could have stopped and joined in :biggrin:

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin