Living off the land/Bush

If you enjoy the Aussie bush and like living off what it has to offer, then you will find some great information here! Camping, Hiking, Bush Bumming and old world skills.

Moderator: Moderators

Mattkaye

Living off the land/Bush

#1 Post by Mattkaye » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:44 pm

Has anybody got any knowledge or experience on living off the land/Bush, I am really interested in learning as I believe it goes hand in hand with hunting with the Bow!

little arrows

Re: Living off the land/Bush

#2 Post by little arrows » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi Matt,

I reckon Perry would be the one to help you out with this particular subject. Most of us have a vague idea - and there's always Maccas :lol:

cheers
sue

perry

#3 Post by perry » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:49 pm

First up there is a Bushcraft and Survival Sub Forum on Ozbow, here is a thread that may be of interest - http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8422. That Fella in the Bushlore link is the real deal, have spoken to him at the Ipswich ADA Show last Year, quite, unassuming and knowledgeable !

there is also Bushcraft Oz Forum, brilliant place have a look around - http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/forum.php. Some very smart and knowledgeable people there, you'' love it.

Not really the answer you are after Mattkaye, its a big question and in no particular order are you building Shelter or is there a Natural Feature like a Rock Ledge you could Shelter under, do you have the ability to make or repair your Bows / Arrows using Natural Materials, do you understand where and how to find clean Water, the list goes on.

Buy yourself Richard Graves Book - Bushcraft the ultimate Guide to survival in the Wilderness, awesome Book, small and light enough to carry in your Pack, puts things into perspective pretty well. Modern Folks rely on Gear, our Forefathers relied on Knowledge, this Book will get you started

- Some Years ago I was quietly confident in my ability to get myself a Feed in my favorite area to Hunt, the Northern New England provided the Season is right. Been Hunting in that district for 35 Years and I realised a while back that the vast majority of every Feed I have ever gathered in the district was introduced Plant and Animal Species. Plants like Stinging Nettle, Thistle, Prickly Pear and Blackberry. Then there is the Feral Goats Pigs, Rabbits, Deer and Carp. About the only Native Pant I am comfortable identifying that is edible in the district is Bracken Fern and thats the new growth. There is the odd Native like Grass Tree's that have edible sections but the introduced Plants are much more common.

Some of my favourite memories of Past Hunts was back in 86 when Halleys Comet was in our Sky. I used to wander out the back of the Property, occasionally [ read very occasionlly ] catch a little Trout in the River, cook it there and then over a small Fire. Along the way to climb the highest peak on the Property there was a Gully along the way where I would pick a plastic Bag full of Blackberrys, it was lousy with Rabbits so if the Stars aligned I'd Shoot one. Near the top of the Hill there was a Natural Spring, best Water I ever Drank, near there was a Sheep Camp, lovely close cropped Grass that was soft to lie and sleep on with a ground sheet and old ex Army Sleeping Bag. I had a Fire Pit there and I'd Roast a Rabbit if I had one and snack on Blackberry's, boil the Billy and have a Cup of Tea and watch Halleys Comet in wonder. Sometimes all I had was Powdered Mash Potato and a Pkt of Dry Peas, thank Goodness for the Spring !!! Got bloody Cold a few Nights there but I was young, fit and stupid so loved it.

Back up towards Texas I could gather the odd Yabbie or 2 in the Summer and the Property I Hunted there had a Clearing where the original Homestead had been. It had 4 pre WW2 long Drops that where Full, there was the mother of all Heirloom Tomato Patches growing out of each of these ancient Long Drops, great Spot for Foxes. Never tasted better Tomato's in my life

Put me out in the South West of the State and I could not find any Plants to Eat, maybe get myself a Beastie but you cant guarantee a successful Hunt. Thank goodness for Instant Noodles and Muesli Bars.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

UPTHETOP

#4 Post by UPTHETOP » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:59 pm

We need to meet someday over the campfire and swap a few yarns Perry, we were both born in the wrong erra mate.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

perry

#5 Post by perry » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:12 pm

Wayno from as far back as I can remember my Parents have said I was Born 1000 Years to Late. Always keen to meet new Friends, putting Faces to Ozbowers is always good value. Much rather Chat around a Campfire than over a Keyboard

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin