Primitive Hunt

If you enjoy the Aussie bush and like living off what it has to offer, then you will find some great information here! Camping, Hiking, Bush Bumming and old world skills.

Moderator: Moderators

longbow steve

Primitive Hunt

#1 Post by longbow steve » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:25 pm

What would you allow yourself to take? Any food? Shelter? Definately water?? Say 3 days in a forest, not a property you know.
Give me your thoughts :)

Roadie

Re: Primitive Hunt

#2 Post by Roadie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:55 pm

Steve for me I would take water purifying tablets, along with water, make up some scroggin (nuts,dried fruit, carrob bloks,dark chocalate), As well would take a Silk liner along with a rather large plastic bag, the type you would find around a mattress, good for sleeping and keeps you warm and it's water proof. I take it you are taking a bow, knife and a compass, and also I would take water proof matches and some snares. This is some of my gear thats always in the Ute. There is other gear, I take it you will be travelling light. Also think of some hand held flares, small 2 watt Uhf and small First Aid kit, in particular a Broad Bandage for Snake bite. Just my thoughts. Cheers Roadie.

hazard

#3 Post by hazard » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:52 pm

Is this a property you will have access with a car / bike? Or is it all on foot? Will it be all trekking or coming back to a base camp? Is there access to a river?
Cheers
Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

longbow steve

#4 Post by longbow steve » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Thanks Roadie, I was thinking primitive as in no modern con's. I would of course ride the crazy horse in then leave it and hike a ways so I dont lose the will to stay if I get hungry.
I have a forest in mind that has game, but no river only dams. Yabbies maybe?
Fabric for a shelter
Water
Bow/arrows
knife

bear74

#5 Post by bear74 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:59 pm

If it's primitve I would take water, knife and bow. but if you havnt done it before I would be taking a "open in case of emergency" bag. it can be done quite comfortably as long as you have the knowledge which comes with practice.
BEAR
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

longbow steve

#6 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:56 am

Thanks Bear, thats a good idea.

Kanin-maskwa

#7 Post by Kanin-maskwa » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:47 am

I agree with Bear
The land can provide everything you need if you have the knowledge and skill.
Since you are asking advise I would say that you are at a level where you would like to put into practice the things you have learned or read about.
If you are going to try things from a book you could bring the book so you can make notes on what works what does not and amend it to make sence to you.
If your honing and developing new skills by learning from the land then my primary concern would be having the knowledge to not get lost and some self rescue and first aid skills.
Personally when I used to go on primitive or bushcraft trips I brought my clothes a knife and a canteen with canteen cup, and my Metis sash that can be used for a bandage etc.
If you know where you are and you are not going to be lost then you can focus on your bush skills you know you can last a few days with no water and go an easy few days on no food.
Nothing like hunger and thirst to really put you in the mind set of reality.
Having an emergency bag is okay for me however all the extra back up in case of emergency does not allow one to get submersed in living off the land. Albeit without those backups you take a risk and have to be willing to live or die by your actions and the decisions you make. there is no right or wrong way to enjoy the bush. You are the one that will have to reap the consequences so make the final decision that you are comfortable with.

Just my 2 cents hope it helps ;)

longbow steve

#8 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:09 pm

Thanks Kanin-Maskwa, My primitive skills are pretty lacking but I know I can do a few days without food but I am out there to do my head good so I will take fresh water. I know the area that I plan to go to so I am not concerned about getting lost. I dont know what I am trying to achieve other than trying to simplify things and slow my world down a bit.
Your point about allowing yourself to be immersed in the experience by leaving the emergency bag at home is a good one.
Thanks for your thoughts . Steve

rodlonq

#9 Post by rodlonq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:16 pm

I'm with Bear, I would make sure my "in case of emergency bag" has a couple of broad bandages "in case" of snake bite. If you go hungry for 3 days it shouldn't hurt you too much although it does get a bit uncomfortable. Fire starting gear is essential and I carry back up matches in my emergency kit as well. I have had limited success with a bow drill and also a fire steel but wouldn't be confident if it was looking like rain. If it looks like crappy weather maybe the fabric for a shelter is a good idea too. I'm not sure about cutting down heaps of saplings etc to make a shelter just for the benefit of a primitive feel to the hunt (I don't know if it would be allowed in a state forest). No probs with doing it in a survival situation tho. I also reckon lots of chord, it is a most useful bit of kit. I really want to learn more about making chordage from natural resources but like the fabric, it may not be acceptable to be chopping down vines or debarking trees to make bush cordage. If I was on private property I would ask permission first. I certainly wouldn't think that the odd few who want to go all out primitive are going to do too much damage to the ecosystem, I just do what I can to minimise my foot print.

Opportunities to get away hunting are rare for me nowadays, and I like a cold beer at the end of the day too much to go primitive hunting. Maybe when I get a bit more time to hunt regularly :roll: ........

However you plan to kit up Steve, I hope you have a good time.

Cheers............ Rod

Roadie

#10 Post by Roadie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:33 pm

So Steve it's a Primative Adventure, just remember even the Best Laid Plans can go belly up. Rain,Hail even snow in your area. Do you plan to eat what you shoot or snare raw, or do you plan to cook it over the fire. Hope you have a great and successful trip. Cheers Roadie.

wishsong

#11 Post by wishsong » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:00 pm

we do them a bit ... two days with minimal gear . A bunch of fun !
In a small haversack i take a tarp and survival kit [ meds/bandage etc ] an extra water bottle and a few meusli bars just in case .
I take 1 larger knife for camp / humpi buildng [ deadwood only ] and a smaller 'field' /skinner utility .

aside from tobacco and a few fire starting sources we go pretty simple with no real gear . It may not be primitive but it is minimal for sure ... even did a night above the snow two years back .

As long as I have a wool jacket and a beanie I reckon we can make it out allright ... its good fun , good practice and a great excuse for shooting even more stumps and hunting

longbowinfected

#12 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:46 pm

oilskin poncho
sharpening stone
leather water bottle
half kilo of halva, small container of honey, small amount of meat jerky from previous hunt [home made]
small amount of fruit rolluus [home made]

plus usuals as above

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

perry

#13 Post by perry » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:57 pm

steve, have a look through this link mate - should be able to find all the info you need. THis mob have plenty of youtube video etc also

http://www.historicaltrekking1720neclhg ... 720neclhg/

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

UPTHETOP

#14 Post by UPTHETOP » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:48 pm

Steve- Bow, Arrows
Water
Large Knife
Fire flint starter
Space Blanket ( not to primitive but will save your life full stop.)
Hoochie cord ( couple of mtrs).
Paper & pencil ( to write your will when ya get bitten by a snake,)

All this can be carried on yourself personal.

As Bear said make up an emergency pack and leave it at your bike.

Dont over eat before you go as most people would as the the faster the stomach shrinks the hungrier you feel.

Leave an local Topo map and highlight the area you intend to hunt and also leave this at your bike.
Dont mark it until you get there as you may change your mind about the area you intend to track after seeing the lay of the land.

Should last three to four days without tucker if its not to cold.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

longbow steve

#15 Post by longbow steve » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:03 pm

Thanks guys, perhaps a minimalist hike/hunt would suffice and test me out enough.
Space Blanket ( not to primitive but will save your life full stop.)
I came across space blanket material bivvy bags somewhere recently that packed up very small and weighed nothing. I will try to find them again.
Steve

Gringa Bows

#16 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:41 pm

Do it right Steve,Loin cloth and sharp stick.... :mrgreen:

longbowinfected

#17 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:56 pm

When I go I use a smooth pebble, pointy sticks hurt.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Gringa Bows

#18 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:19 pm

:lol:

wishsong

#19 Post by wishsong » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:45 am

the small space blanket type sleeping bag are prety good but my experience makes me think they arre only good for staying in the one spot . They come in a nice small package but I had Buckleys and none of getting the thing folded up again into anything managable .
they do work though and i carry one in my survival kit ,

Tonylange

#20 Post by Tonylange » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:20 am

Hi Steve mate, I'm also thinking bout things similar to this but when it comes to survival i like to cover all 6 Bases of Survival: Water, Shelter, Fire, Food, Navigation & Signaling, Self-Aid.
Also a concept to help me decide what i want and need, i refer to the 10C's of survivability.
The first 5 are the most important as there the hardest or most labouring to replicate in the wild.
1 A decent reliable "Cutting tool"
2 A "Combustion device"
3 A"Covering Device" Bivvy, Hoochie, Wool blanket
4 A "Container" preferably Metal
5 And "Cordage" about 50ft, use something 3 ply so that it can be broken down into smaller fibers.
The next 5 are:
6 A "Compass"
7 A 100% "Cotton Bandana"-Can be use to make Char-cloth and i recommend getting/one thats big enough to use for a sling
8 A "Candling Device" Torch or head light
9 A "Cargo or cloth sail needle" pre-magnetised long wedge-tipped repair needle
10 And "Cloth/Cargo Tape", Something that can be torn by hand about 1.5"/2" wide

This list helps me cover all Bases and for primitive Hunting i recommend you take the first 5 C's but suppliment some items with primitive ones.
You can replace modern combustion devices with a pre-made and tested Fire bow Kit, or a bamboo fire saw kit(just like off castaway the movie, lol "WILSOOON!"), you can make up cordage out of barks and replace your water container with a say Bamboo or burnt out wood vessel.
You must use primitives arrows n maybe replace the quiver with say a reed woven one, and maybe use primitive trapping to secure some other game, like Figure 4 dead-falls, Spring snares and peg triggers.
Righto well i think that's all i have to ad for now :P
Cheers Tony
To fire one lonesome arrow,
At thou's only beating heart.
To pierce thy flesh,
to kill this beast.
Tis the hunters sacred art.

Owner And Maker of: Blue Moon Archery

Bent Stick

#21 Post by Bent Stick » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:56 am

soft 2 ply bog roll
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

Tonylange

#22 Post by Tonylange » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:33 am

Bent Stick wrote:soft 2 ply bog roll
LOL Mate Lol, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :razz:
To pierce thy flesh,
to kill this beast.

Gilly

#23 Post by Gilly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:31 am

A small mirror is a good thing to have around too, you can see the flash from one for miles when used for signalling!

Tonylange

#24 Post by Tonylange » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:24 am

Not to mention use it to see those "tricky spots" when your covered in leeches or ticks, or have been injured. :confused: :wink:
Cheers Tony
To pierce thy flesh,
to kill this beast.

Vladtheimpaler

#25 Post by Vladtheimpaler » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:48 pm

An Epirb......and maybe a fire steel

JoeLethbridge

#26 Post by JoeLethbridge » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:19 pm

If you're completely primitive you might take
bow
arrows
repair kit (knife, glue, spare fletches, spare foreshafts (if necessary)
hand/bow drill and tinder
billy,etc

It really depends on how primitive you're going to be. For me there are 2 types of primitive ways; survival eg Bear Grylls or long term eg stone tools, long term shelter and a long term camp.Still, all the best with the camp. :wink:

Buranurra

#27 Post by Buranurra » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:32 pm

Definitely a billy-can to boil water or cook yabbies etc.

... oh, and a bottle of Scotch for, erm disinfecting cuts and scrapes :lol:

Edit- Doh, this is thread necromancy!
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

Roadie

#28 Post by Roadie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:53 pm

NAH, you Drink the Scotch, ( In my case at least a 16 year OLD MALT ), and Brandy for infections and other Bugs. One must get One's prioties right. By the way Steve how Did the Primitive Hunt Go. Cheers Roadie.

Buranurra

#29 Post by Buranurra » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:31 pm

Roadie wrote:NAH, you Drink the Scotch, ( In my case at least a 16 year OLD MALT ), and Brandy for infections and other Bugs. One must get One's prioties right. By the way Steve how Did the Primitive Hunt Go. Cheers Roadie.
I am in absolute agreement with you mate.
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28