swag backpack

If you enjoy the Aussie bush and like living off what it has to offer, then you will find some great information here! Camping, Hiking, Bush Bumming and old world skills.

Moderator: Moderators

ddrage

swag backpack

#1 Post by ddrage » Thu May 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi all,
First post from me , I recently discovered this excellent lightweight waterproof swag backpack. I am very keen on super light , minimal kit. Am ordering one soon and will post my experience with the product.
More importantly it is an Australian design for an excellent cause.

http://www.charity.org.au/p/1020084/sal ... anvas.html

bigbob

Re: swag backpack

#2 Post by bigbob » Fri May 27, 2011 9:06 am

What a brilliant idea, seem to remember seeing something similar on ABC New Inventors or what ever.Might have been it actually .Should be a very valuable bit of kit for carry in carry out trips.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

hazard

#3 Post by hazard » Fri May 27, 2011 2:30 pm

I like it but can you get it in quieter colours?
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

perry

#4 Post by perry » Sun May 29, 2011 3:05 pm

Definatly a good idea, I heard of these quite a while ago and am intrigued, definatly a good thing to keep in the car along with a survival bag for those unexpected situations etc. Add a water filter and a good sleeping bag, "possibilities" ???

I'm not sure they are designed to carry anything more than you'd need sleeping rough so a backpacking hunter may find them unsuitable, looks the goods for a night or 2 though.

The name of the Backpack Swag as featured on ABC radio and Television escapes me right now. I'm pretty sure it was the featured model. I do remember that the lady who designed them approached Prince William about them when he was out here recently and set up some Charity deals through him with it. I remember in the Radio Interview the Lady talking about the donate $68 version is drab green so the Homeless can blend into the surroundings better instead of advertising where they are sleeping, the for sale $200 model. bright red.

I think a less obtrusive colour would sell well for them as you mention hazard.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

ddrage

#5 Post by ddrage » Sun May 29, 2011 7:54 pm

They could broaden the colours, but for a survival scenario I think the bright red is the best option. You want to be seen and found. If a more discrete profile is wanted , carry a lightweight piece of camo netting which can be draped over it and be used for a shade canopy. Concept is what really got me , refinements are always personal taste . Game aren't going to care what colour your shelter is , your scent will betray you long before.

Be interesting to do some field tests with it, I intended to carry my regular pack in addition to this. But no tent,mat,"Day pack" etc. I like a leave no trace approach , and I have also done a bit of back country snowboarding/ climbing.. More than once things turned bad, I would have been a lot more comfortable carrying something like this. ( even as a back up ).

Cheers Deano

ddrage

#6 Post by ddrage » Mon May 30, 2011 7:37 pm

I contacted the people at charity.org.au and they are brining out a new model which will be drab green, should be availvable about july.
Cheers Deano.