Water Filters, Chemicals or Sterilights, what do you use

If you enjoy the Aussie bush and like living off what it has to offer, then you will find some great information here! Camping, Hiking, Bush Bumming and old world skills.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Water Filters, Chemicals or Sterilights, what do you use

#1 Post by perry » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:03 pm

Perhaps I'm dreamin but to round out my backpack hunting rig I need some method to source good clean water from the rock pools and dams on the property's I hunt. My family, mortgage and work commitments keep me away from my hunting more and more these days so I need to maximise what ever time I get to conect with nature and hunt

To my way of thinking a quality water filter is the go. I have used iodine and tablets in the past but the taste etc, straining partially through a rag etc wears thin. I read good things anout the electronic Sterilight also but I don't like the idea of carrying another set of batteries, just in case and a scum filter is still required. All I'm interested in is a no nonsence water cleaning device, not that worried about mass but being compact is of some importance. I just want reliability, ease of use, good water flow in the case of a filter and low maintence.

What are your experiences with making clean water out of dirty water and which unit/ chemicals do you use / prefer.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

longbow steve

Re: Water Filters, Chemicals or Sterilights, what do you use

#2 Post by longbow steve » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:16 am

Hi Perry, I have a filter from ebay, used it once and didn't get sick :) however water filtration is a hard thing to know if you are getting right. If it was a survival situation and i could boil the water aswell I would. The filter pump I have is about the size of the palm of your hand and weighs 60gr. A little slow but as a safety item to filter chunks out of water I think it serves it's purpose.
Steve
EDIT
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Mini-Soldier ... 8453wt_939

When I researched, Katydyn seemed to be the best alrounder in terms of volume and reliability. MSR received some poor review due to difficulty of use. Steve

jindydiver

#3 Post by jindydiver » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:34 am

I have been using a PUR Hiker since the 80's and it is a great unit that has helped me to stay out longer without worrying about getting the runs or worse from any water I find. I have used it to get water from some odd places too.
It is made by Katadyn now.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

perry

#4 Post by perry » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:25 pm

I have been looking at the Katadyn range of filters as you fella's have mentioned. Steve I'll check out your link.

The Steripen / Stericlean system is still intriuing - here's what I have been looking at http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-4481 ... ifier.aspx.

I had a water filter back in the mid 90's, it produced clear water but the flow rate was pathetic, 1/2 hour of pumping yielded about a cup full - useless from a convienience piont of view. After a 10 day hunt we resorted to digging a hole in a river bed and using dry grass to filter floaties and boiling our water, still got crook. Have they improved the flow rate of these pump filters, are the claims of a litre a minute correct. I could live with that and it's sure faster and more convienient than boiling.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

jindydiver

#5 Post by jindydiver » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:05 am

perry wrote: Have they improved the flow rate of these pump filters, are the claims of a litre a minute correct. I could live with that and it's sure faster and more convienient than boiling.
Filling my camelbak bladder and a spare 3 litres for in the car takes maybe 5 minutes.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Chase N. Nocks

#6 Post by Chase N. Nocks » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:29 pm

Well you could always try the old sailors solution...check out Blackadder Part 2 Episode 3. You'll get my drift.

I don't share Tom Bakers delight for the practice.

However, good topic and thank you for raising it old mate because I have been meaning to for awile.

Cheers
Troy
I am an Archer. I am not a traditional archer, bowhunter, compound shooter or target archer.....I am an Archer
"Shooting the Stickbow"

....enforced by the "whistling grey-goose wing."
"The Witchery of Archery"

dmm

#7 Post by dmm » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:46 am

I agree. Very interesting topic.

I've read positive reviews on the Steripen, which uses UV light to kill bugs.
There is a low tech approach called SODIS to do this too, but it takes 6 - 48 hrs.

You still need to find a way to physically filter the water. The Bushcraft approach to this is a piece of cloth, ie a Bandanna, but I'm sure there would be better ways.

Are you looking for a way to take a drink whilst out on a hunt, or a way to process drinking water at a base camp, as in your example?

I was under the impression that boiling water, whilst not 100% effective, was really the best thing you could do in the field. Disappointing to hear that when you did this, you still got sick.

I'm pretty certain, that if you collect water from steam, then you're collecting only H20, and nothing else from your water source. Of course you'd still have to have a clean vessel to receive it.

I saw a TV show once, where some Australian soldiers on a survival course, were using a jerry can as a water still. They had the can in the fire and a length of tube, coming off it, and then I think the pipe was cooled with earth and perhaps a wet shirt. It was slow, and they were all sitting around the fire dehydrated, but supposedly this was the approved approach.
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

jindydiver

#8 Post by jindydiver » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:01 am

dmm wrote:
I'm pretty certain, that if you collect water from steam, then you're collecting only H20, and nothing else from your water source. Of course you'd still have to have a clean vessel to receive it.
Flowing or not, you do that up on the main range, or the Tas Central Highlands and you are betting even odds that the next time you need a crap a strainer wouldn't reveal many lump :lol:

A bonus with the pumps is that you can get water from places that are not accessible by others, like soaks under paperbarks, yabby holes,.... just stick the tube down the hole and suck it dry :)
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

dmm

#9 Post by dmm » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:48 pm

jindydiver wrote:
dmm wrote:
Flowing or not, you do that up on the main range, or the Tas Central Highlands and you are betting even odds that the next time you need a crap a strainer wouldn't reveal many lump :lol:

A bonus with the pumps is that you can get water from places that are not accessible by others, like soaks under paperbarks, yabby holes,.... just stick the tube down the hole and suck it dry :)
I think you read steam as stream. I'm saying if you create a still, ie boil the water and the collect the 'steam' as condensate, you will only collect H20, ie pure water.

It's sad that you can't drink water in the bush these days. As kids camping in the Grampians we drank from the creeks, no strainers required (at either end of the process). Of course I don't know that you can't now, but as I get older I like to gamble less with my bodily functions.
David
--
Sky TDX 17 riser with Kaya Carbon Tomcat limbs(25H-36#) short Beiter button and rest.

jindydiver

#10 Post by jindydiver » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:08 am

DOH
Closer to glasses than I want to be :lol:
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

Vladtheimpaler

#11 Post by Vladtheimpaler » Sat May 21, 2011 9:48 pm

Think it's horses for courses.......I rarely filter water any more unless I'm forced to use still water...... Any Kadykyn or MSR filters will do the job if your caught on still and or dirty water + a tablet.............Meaning if you need to filter you still need a tablet.........

slvrslngr

#12 Post by slvrslngr » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:37 pm

I use a product called Aqua Mira. It's a two part liquid treatment, mix part A with part B, wait a couple minutes, dump the mixture in the water and wait half an hour (for clear water or an hour for not so clear water). Done. It apparently kills everything.

http://aquamira.com/consumer/aquamira-w ... ent-drops/

longbowinfected

#13 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:08 am

what does the finished product taste like?

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

slvrslngr

#14 Post by slvrslngr » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:37 pm

The taste isn't too bad, a lot like city water. Way better than any other chemical treatment I've used.

Farmhand

#15 Post by Farmhand » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:13 pm

I think we can get a thing called a "life straw" now which I'm sure we have all seen, it's just a filter that works while you drink. I'll be trying to get some so I can drink from any water source almost with minimal effort.

The old boil it up method should work if one was stuck/stranded. But that takes a lot of time, effort, a billy and the ability to make fire if injured, that might not be possible.

Andrew
First imagine it, then do it !

Fanto

#16 Post by Fanto » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:58 pm

"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

bstan86

#17 Post by bstan86 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:28 pm

i own and have used (in some pretty crappy water-sources too) the life straws and they are good when on the move.

i recently bought one of these and haven't yet tested it (hoping to soon) but it is smaller, rated to a better filtering ability and lasts way longer according to their info. should be good if it works as advertised.

http://www.survivalsuppliesaustralia.co ... filter.php

perry

#18 Post by perry » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:44 am

Good to see this thread still has some Life in it. I bought a Seychelles Canteen http://store.seychelle.com/Products-Fil ... teens.html and a Stainless Steel Water Water Bottle that uses the same Filter. Used in combination with a Sterilite pre Filter it has done all I've asked of it.

The drawback of coarse to the Canteen type Filter and Pre Filter I bought is that it is relatively slow compared to the Pump type Katadyn Range. A fair compromise I made to save some serious $$.

Brian across on Bushcraft Oz Forum I have been reading a Thread featuring those Sawyer Filters. Look an impressive Unit. Adaptable too http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthrea ... yer+filter

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

clinton miller

#19 Post by clinton miller » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:11 am

sawyer inline is what i use. it is on the hose on my platypus bladder, which has a detachable hose. this allows you to use it like a straw if needed to suck water out of tight spots. i can carry a second bladder and gravity filter the 'dirty' bladder into it then refill the dirty bladder for a total of 6L.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Muz1970

#20 Post by Muz1970 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:48 am

I use the same as Clint, a Sawyers mini filter in line with my bladder. Used it when on our hiking/hunting trips in the NT. If it gets a bit hard to suck through you just need to back flush with the provided syringe. Very simple and compact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUsdx0UC2uU

perry

#21 Post by perry » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:06 pm

I watched some more Vids and after reading more Feedback on the Sawyer I am impressed, my Seychelles Filters to 2 Microns, the Sawyer to 1 Micron. Being able to use as a Straw and its screw on Capability to Platypus Bladders, used Softdrink Bottles etc really add to the Versatility. I don't recall it being on the Market when I bought my Seychelles Canteen. Price is very good too when you consider how long the Filter has the Potential to last depending on the amount of Sediment in the Water.

The Steripen Pre Filter I have is good for Filtering Sediment down to 4 Microns and is a good size for companion use with the Seychelles Canteen. I stitched up a Millbank http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from ... r&_sacat=0 but it's actually too Watertight and does not flow fast enough. For well under $30 I'm not going to bother Stitching another. I think Millbanks are a very versatile Pre Filter

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

bstan86

#22 Post by bstan86 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:00 am

perry wrote:I watched some more Vids and after reading more Feedback on the Sawyer I am impressed, my Seychelles Filters to 2 Microns, the Sawyer to 1 Micron. Being able to use as a Straw and its screw on Capability to Platypus Bladders, used Softdrink Bottles etc really add to the Versatility. I don't recall it being on the Market when I bought my Seychelles Canteen. Price is very good too when you consider how long the Filter has the Potential to last depending on the amount of Sediment in the Water.

The Steripen Pre Filter I have is good for Filtering Sediment down to 4 Microns and is a good size for companion use with the Seychelles Canteen. I stitched up a Millbank http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from ... r&_sacat=0 but it's actually too Watertight and does not flow fast enough. For well under $30 I'm not going to bother Stitching another. I think Millbanks are a very versatile Pre Filter

regards Jacko

i still have my old millbank from my army days and they're a good bit of gear - that and a something to boil the water in (and the time to do so) are all you really need if you like to keep it simple.

the sawyer mini is shaping up as the best option for me so far - and takes up bugger all space, and as you say perry- very versatile capabilities and lasts ages.

bstan86

#23 Post by bstan86 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:54 pm

I have been using my sawyer mini for a few hunts in the last few months and it has been faultless.
It's a great, simple little bit of gear and when hunting on blocks where I know the locations of water scourges I didn't even feel the need to carry water at all.

In hotter weather or on bigger walks into uncharted territory I still carry a liter or 2 just in case.

atlas_melbourne

#24 Post by atlas_melbourne » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:22 pm

Hello all,

This post is super old now, but I'm interested to know how the guys with the bladders and sawyer mini filters are going - did they last well or have you since moved on to other stuff?
In regards to post filtering sterilisation - I looked at the steripen but it is so expensive and ive heard its not completely reliable... has anyone used Katadyn Micropur MP1/Forte tablets? Apparently the taste isnt too bad and they work effectively in around 30 minutes.