WTB - Aussie made longbow

Want to sell, buy or trade. Not restricted to archery items.

Moderator: Moderators

rodlonq

WTB - Aussie made longbow

#1 Post by rodlonq » Thu May 07, 2009 10:54 pm

Gidday All,

Would like to revert to longbow after a very long spell on compounds. My hunting interest started out by following Dad and Uncle around the bush with a 20# fiberglass longbow. If anyone has an Aussie made longbow for sale I am interested. I currently use a 65#@29" compound. Its a very old Ben Pearson bow, not sure what model it is because the label got camo painted with the rest of the bow in a burst of excitement many years ago.

Is it reasonable to think that I could use a similar draw weight in a longbow? From my little experience I have a feel that 60 - 64" would be more than enough to get used to creeping through scrub, however I am open to suggestions. I have always believed I bowhunt for the basic essence of hunting, but a longbow to me is the pinnacle of man against beast and I would like to at least give it a fair go.

Any offers of a bow for sale or perhaps some advice on where I should start with a trad bow would be most appreciated. Thanks.

BTW, all things have their limits and mine is about $700. I realise this may rule out a lot of the top shelf gear, but you cant have champagne on a beer budget. I would really like to support Aussie product though, even if it means the specs are not as flash as an imported new bow.

Cheers, Rod

Glenn

Re: WTB - Aussie made longbow

#2 Post by Glenn » Fri May 08, 2009 5:25 am

Rod I would suggest that you go down in weight, the biggest problem with a lot of traditional shoooters is that they are oevr bowed. I would suggest that you go along to a club if you can and shoot a variety of different weights. You may find that you can handle a 65# longbow or it may only be 50# you are comfortable with. Spend your money on the wrong bow now and it ca become a very expensive exercise and an unhappy one as well...Glenn...

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri May 08, 2009 7:41 am

i think 50#is a good weight to start with,a couple of years ago i went from a 70#gunpound to a 50 longbow and took a bit of getting used to the no let off for awhile,welcome to the site Rod.................................Rod

dartonian

#4 Post by dartonian » Fri May 08, 2009 9:58 am

Rod,
I agree with what has been said so far. I went from 60# compound to 60# longbow and struggled big time with all sorts of form related issues trying to deal with the weight. I'd suggest starting out with something in the 45 - 50# range. If you use well matched arrows, you'll still be capable of hunting everything except maybe bigger pigs and buff.

The draw difference was highlighted to me when I took my longbow to a club shoot the other week. Every compounder that drew it back complained about it stacking... yet the couple of trad bowers commented on how smooth and even it was (I shoot a 57# Stickbow Traditions "Huntin Stick" made by Jeff on this site). It dawned on me the compounders were actually complaining about zero let-off rather than stacking!

Anyway, back on track... Do your own searching as only you know what you want... But with a $700 budget, I'd start with the Jawerth Raptor series bows on the Wildwood web-site, Nick Linterns "Norseman Traditional" Bows (find them thru Hunter Valley Trad Archers web-site) and have a good look through the traditional crafts and trade blankets sections of this forum. I'm pretty sure you will find something within your budget and I think you may be suprised at the quality of what you get.
Hope this helps,
Good hunting,
Paul

rodlonq

#5 Post by rodlonq » Fri May 08, 2009 12:12 pm

Thanks for your replies,

I have not been involved in club activities for a very long time but I realise it may be the only place where I can gather first hand information. The reason for not having done it already is because we have a turf farm which is very constant work. I am hesitant to attend a club for only a few times to get my research done and then not show up again due to work (as much as I would like to go to a shoot every now and then, I loved it when I was a teenager shooting at TDB). I feel like I would be sponging?? or something.

I could start by visiting some of the local stores that have archery gear (in Townsville) but once again it would be "tyre kicking" just to find out what I like in a longbow. I have always been serious about trying to source Aussie product and I don't think there is much chance of finding it "on the shelf". I guess the message I am getting is to start out with a production model import at around 50# and once I am comfortable with it, move on.

Thanks again fellas, Rod

TEX

#6 Post by TEX » Fri May 08, 2009 12:41 pm

I would have to say if you want a great longbow at a good price talk to Longbow Steve.
His deflex reflex longbows are very fast and smooth to shoot.
I am sure he would make you one but you better ask him first.
Reg Tex

Stephen Georgiou

#7 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Fri May 08, 2009 1:25 pm

Welcome Rod,
If you are going to use the bow for hunting you can go down to a 64" quite safely but the longer bows tend to be more forgiving.
A 50lb long bow will drop anything in Australia except for camels and buffs, I would suspect. I'm only guessing on these two as I have never hunted them. But Pigs, goats, and all ferrels will be fine.

If you can find a club close by it would be the best option so you can try one first as buying the right size bow will serve you well for many years. Buy the wrong one and you will waste your time and money.
There are many excellent Aussie Bowyers who make some beautiful shooting bows.
http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=25 Check out this link for a start
All the best. Steve

Gringa Bows

#8 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri May 08, 2009 2:31 pm

Glenn Newell is one of Aussies top bowyers i dont know prices,but send him a p.m. he's Glenn on this forum.........................Rod

Sparra

#9 Post by Sparra » Fri May 08, 2009 3:48 pm

I have a 2 piece Greybeard long bow at 53lb and am very impressed with it and it fell well below your budget....He is also on this site....

Cheers...Sparra
Cheers...Sparra

There is always someone doing it tougher than you...

rodlonq

#10 Post by rodlonq » Fri May 08, 2009 3:58 pm

Thanks to everyone for your advice and the names of local bowyers.

I reckon I should take notice and do some homework before annoying anyone. I can imagine if I contacted these blokes and they ask "what do you want" and I say "I really don't know". I wouldn't blame them for thinking I am a right twit. I will get around to some local shops and perhaps go out to the TDB range and see if any of the locals are shooting any of the Aussie bowyer's gear.

Then I am left with the decision who to talk to first. I reckon from your input all of the blokes mentioned are great bowyers so if I get to see/shoot an example of one particular product I will probably go that direction. I never thought there would be so many local products to choose from (great work fellas).

Will get back to you all after I have learnt more about what I like/need and can handle in a long bow.

Cheers, Rod

Gringa Bows

#11 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri May 08, 2009 5:59 pm

most of these bowyers will be happy to help you mate, if you tell them you dont know what you want they'll ask you a few questions,and in no time with their help you will have a better idea. :)

Coach

#12 Post by Coach » Fri May 08, 2009 6:36 pm

I wont say much here , except that what has already been said is good advice and expect a draw length reduction :wink: You generally draw shorter with a Trad bow than you do with a compound :)

longbowinfected

#13 Post by longbowinfected » Fri May 08, 2009 10:35 pm

My first advice is to go to one of the trad gatherings........
Go look and try and have some fun.
Secondly I would not worry about being a casual shooter. Trad folf tend to think the more the merrier....
Thirdly I would look around for a cheap second hand bow to start with around 45-50 mark and make a decision about a custom job a bit later. Every one of the bowyers mentioned here make great bows....I have seen all of their work....something special about knowing the guy who crafts your bow in consultation with your needs.

My final suggestion is to get a matched set of wood arrows after you kill a few home made ones.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

rodlonq

#14 Post by rodlonq » Sun May 10, 2009 11:26 am

Thanks for the advice fellas.

Does anyone know if there is a trad group that meets in Townsville?

Cheers, Rod