wtb 2pc takedown longbow

Want to sell, buy or trade. Not restricted to archery items.

Moderator: Moderators

flyne

wtb 2pc takedown longbow

#1 Post by flyne » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:53 am

dont realy know why it has to be take down just all ways liked them even if you know of a aust bowyer that makes them that would be great
flyne
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

Mick Smith

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:31 pm

flyne

I don't know of any Australian bowyers who offer a takedown longbow other than Molinjor Bows over in Western Australia.

If I was in the market for a two piece longbow, I would check the classifieds at www.tradgang.com. Members can advertise their bows there in much the same manner as we advertise our's on Ozbow's "Trading Blanket". There's a huge number of members at Tradgang and there's heaps of bows for sale at any given time, many of them 2 piece longbows.

The beauty of buying a two piece bow from overseas is that it can be posted back to Australia. One piece bows are too long to be posted and cost a fortune to courier downunder.

There's a few different systems in use to make a bow into a takedown. Probably the most common is the 'sleeve' method, but there's also a type of hinged device. Chekmate takedowns use a bolt system that's similar to most 3 piece takedowns, instead there's just the one bolt that goes in the middle where the handle is. There's also a fairly new system that utilises a bolt with an interupted thread that fits into a corresponding threaded section in the other half of the bow, you just insert the top of the bow into the hole in the lower part and turn a quarter of a turn to lock the 2 parts together. From what I can tell, each system has its own benefits and disadvantages.

I currently have a 2 piece Chekmate Crusader longbow on order from the US myself. These are a great bow at a realistic price. The only drawback with ordering one for yourself is the extremely long waiting time, which I suppose, is a fair indication of just how popular they are.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

clinglish

#3 Post by clinglish » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:22 pm

Mick has put you on the right track .I have got a couple of takedown longbows 1 is the sleeve type and the other is a 3 peice td . Have a look at the different styles and decide what you like the look of.
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

Crowcreek2

TD Longbow

#4 Post by Crowcreek2 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:41 pm

Hi, I have two PC TD longbow's from both Mohawk and Liberty in the US - both use the Robertson hinge system which I find very simple and robust.

When strung you can't tell they are TD's apart from a line and small area of hinge showing at the front of the bow. The Mohawk is cheaper at around US$575 plus shipping. Both shoot very well.

Cheers.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:37 pm

Hi flyne,

There are very good two and three piece takedowns available on the market. For pure simplicity my preference is for the two piece but as is with all things bows are a personal thing so choose what you are comfortable with.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bsrecurve

#6 Post by bsrecurve » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:32 pm

IMO the only option is overseas at the moment.
many yank bowyers are doing great work with various 2-piece systems these days. i love my centaur 2-piece, which has the connexion hinge mentioned above - it is a very strong and simple system with no bolts to loose.
in fact if i were limited to only one bow - this would definately be it.

if you're after a more traditional longbow like the howard hill bows - then the sleeve type system would be a good option.
as others have said - keep an eye on the classifieds at tradgang.com
my dealings with people from that site have been very positive.
good luck

flyne

#7 Post by flyne » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:36 pm

yer personly i think the 3 pc dont look right and i have a old ben pearson 2pc sleev type and by old i mean it's a 54 model that i got from the states. i just dont feel right shootig it. It's more of a collecters pice only prob is im not a collecter so if any one intrested let me know could pay for some of the new one i like this type most but the hinge one's look good to

Jeffro

#8 Post by Jeffro » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:44 pm

I dont know why i haven't read this thread till now.

Barry Johnson makes excellent 2 piece take down longbows Flyne,I can also tell you that they are around $750
Robert off here uses one and he is usually the winner at most of the trad comps he goes to.
A damm fine shot.

Fix me up later for that Robert :D

flyne

#9 Post by flyne » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:59 pm

dose he happen to have a web page and dose Chekmate have a site and wots it ushely cost to get one sent from the states

Mick Smith

#10 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:03 pm

Checkmate's web site is www.recurves.com

I think they charge US$35 for postage to Australia.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

flyne

#11 Post by flyne » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:14 pm

thanks for that mick how long is the waight from Chekmate

Mick Smith

#12 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:50 pm

You would probably be looking at between 6 months and a years wait. :?

I ordered my T/D Crusader in February and there's still quite a few bows ahead of mine on the list, according to Chad. Personally, I don't mind the wait, but then again I own heaps of other bows. Chekmate require half the money up front with the order, you then have all that time to find the remaining money owing before the bow is ready for shipping.

One good thing about ordering bows from the US at the moment is the good exchange rates.

Mick

flyne

#13 Post by flyne » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:07 am

sound's good but yer i think i need to get some thing a bit quicker but then agen i could always just buy 2 bow's :P

longbow steve

#14 Post by longbow steve » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:25 am

Just a note guys with regard to ordering from the states, I heard a rumour that the UPS surface mail is no longer and we are looking at the cost of courier rates, in effect doubling what we previously paid for US items. Has anyone else heard this? Steve

Crowcreek2

RE: US Shipping

#15 Post by Crowcreek2 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:45 pm

I have ordered many bows from the US - always try to us USPS priority air and not UPS.

USPS rates may be going up but the last bow I had shipped which was a 2PC TD longbow only cost me US$40 - this was only a month ago.

Cheers.

the irish one

#16 Post by the irish one » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:57 pm

postage may be going up as i've got a 66 inch one piece longbow in the air as we speak u.p.s expidite its cost 205 u.s to post butI'm tracking its journey to the door around 7 days all up :? HOPEFULLY