Purpleheart foot blanks

Want to sell, buy or trade. Not restricted to archery items.

Moderator: Moderators

jaselpool

Purpleheart foot blanks

#1 Post by jaselpool » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:28 pm

Hi all

Wondering whether anyone is willing to supply me with 2 doz purpleheart foot blanks to this spec:

1/2" x 1/2'' X 8" with a 4.5" centre cut like this:

I don't have a bandsaw to cut my own but will more than likely want to order more on a regular basis.

Many thanks!

Jase
>>––––––>
New trad archery items now in stock! THE LONGBOW SHOP

Glenn Newell

#2 Post by Glenn Newell » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:02 pm

G'day jaselpool, honestly mate you could buy some purpleheart and go to a joinery shop and they would prepare those footings for you and it would be much cheaper than having them mailed from Australia. You could do them yourself with a fine toothed panelsaw, I use to do all of mine like that before I bought a bandsaw. You can also cut them with a hacksaw with a coarse blade in it, cuts them no worries at all, but get a good quality hacksaw and blade, they are good for doing fine timber work...Glenn...

jaselpool

#3 Post by jaselpool » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:14 pm

Glenn Newell wrote:G'day jaselpool, honestly mate you could buy some purpleheart and go to a joinery shop and they would prepare those footings for you and it would be much cheaper than having them mailed from Australia. You could do them yourself with a fine toothed panelsaw, I use to do all of mine like that before I bought a bandsaw. You can also cut them with a hacksaw with a coarse blade in it, cuts them no worries at all, but get a good quality hacksaw and blade, they are good for doing fine timber work...Glenn...

I'll do some hunting around mate - thanks for the advice! :)

Jase
>>––––––>

Glenn Newell

#4 Post by Glenn Newell » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:03 am

Jase, see how you go mate, if you don't do any good I can easily supply you with footings, I also have some beautiful Australian Beefwood for footings as well, I have other footing timbers such as ebony and paduk...Glenn...

Paul

#5 Post by Paul » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:42 am

Glenn that beefwood would look fantastic as a footing, have you ever made some up, I'd love to see one?

Buford

#6 Post by Buford » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:39 pm

hi Glenn,

What do you use for the main shaft timber?

Cheers
Buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Glenn Newell

#7 Post by Glenn Newell » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:50 pm

Paul I have made them up in the past but I don't have any that have survived the hunting trips, it does look very nice, it's a grevillia I think.
Buford I use silver quandong for shafts, a native timber, I love them, and there is tons of it around the range here...Glenn...
Last edited by Glenn Newell on Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

archangel

beefwood footings

#8 Post by archangel » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:06 pm

Glenn

I sent off a thin slice of beefwood to Gilnockie a while back to try out on one of his hybrid bows. I hadn't thought about using it for footings - it certainly has a distinctive grain and is quite hard. There are still some pieces left that were too small for risers but would probaly do for footing onto oregon shafts. How would it stand up to 4-wing footings?

Glenn Newell

#9 Post by Glenn Newell » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:37 pm

Archangel, I have never made a four winged footing, only ever made the two foot style, couldn't see why it wouldn't work as a four foot, the ones I made stood up very well, the shafts broke but not the footings. I dont mind when the footings break which isint very often because I just add a new footing if I can...Glenn...

jaselpool

#10 Post by jaselpool » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:23 pm

Glenn Newell wrote:Jase, see how you go mate, if you don't do any good I can easily supply you with footings, I also have some beautiful Australian Beefwood for footings as well, I have other footing timbers such as ebony and paduk...Glenn...
Hey Glenn - thanks mate!

They all sound fantastic and I'd probably be interested in the other woods anyway ;) Give me a PM on costs for 2 doz and shipping to UK.

Cheers

Jase
>>––––––>