WTB custom recurve

Want to sell, buy or trade. Not restricted to archery items.

Moderator: Moderators

cav01

WTB custom recurve

#1 Post by cav01 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:54 pm

Hi guys,

This is my first post on the forum and hope to have many more :D . I was looking to buy a 2nd hand custom recurve, mostly from bowyers such as Black-widow,Huntsman,Chek-mate,etc. My specs are #50 - #60 at 28", R.H.

The reason for second hand, my patience is not that good to wait to get one made lol :oops:.
Price range is not really an issue, I'll pay a decent price for a top range custom bow :wink:.

Thanks again guys,
Cav01.
Last edited by cav01 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Smith

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:05 pm

Hi Cav01

Welcome to the site mate!!!

You could have a look on the international ebay site for secondhand custom bows. There's a least a couple each and every day. If you bought a takedown one, the airmail postage to Australia is reasonable. Be careful though, if you buy a one piece bow that's over 42 inches in total length, be prepared to pay a fortune in private shipping courier fees.

Alternatively, you could contact Chad at www.recurves.com . Chad looks after the sales of custom Chekmate bows. He keeps a range of ready made models on hand for blokes like you, who haven't got the time to wait for one to be made. He's a real nice bloke, so don't be shy.

Other than that you could have a look through our "Trading Post" forum. I believe there are a few nice bows there that didn't sell. You could send a "PM" to the seller to get the "low down" as to whether they are still for sale or not. There was a real nice "Horne" mountain bow that I would have loved to buy a short while back.

Anyway mate, whatever you end up doing, good luck to you. I hope you find what you're looking for. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

cav01

#3 Post by cav01 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:57 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome Mick!:D

I didn't know that recurves.com had bows already made up, should of sent him an e-mail. As far as looking for bows in the "Trading-post", I did have a look and saw some things that caught my eye :wink:, as well as having alot of PM's. I want to thank everyone that has sent me a PM and hope to learn alot from this site.

Thanks again,
James (Cav01).

bsrecurve

#4 Post by bsrecurve » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:47 pm

gday mate, and welcom to the site.
i own a couple of checkmates, and cant reccomend them highly enough, they are a lot cheeper than some other custom bows, but dont let the price fool you - they are outstanding bows for the money!!! :D

needless to say mine are not for sale, however like mick said - give chad a call and see what he has in stock - it does vary a lot from time to time as to whats available, so if he doesnt have what you are after, try this link:

http://www.gmarchery.com/

these guys have heaps of checkmates, and other bows in stock, ready to ship. i've heard they are good to deal with.

cav01

#5 Post by cav01 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:57 pm

Thanks Bsrecurve, the more links I can get the better!

Those Chek-mate sure are nice, I gotta take a look around and see whats avalible.

Cav01.

Ausarcher

#6 Post by Ausarcher » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:01 pm

Hi, if your interested in a Check Mate have a look at this link as they have a lot of different models of Check Mate bows listed as being in stock.

http://www.archerybymail.com/

cav01

#7 Post by cav01 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:37 pm

Well, I took the plunge and ordered a chek-mate from www.gmarchery.com. The bow is Chek-Mate Hunter Two Take-down Recurve 58" 52# Shedua/Bubinga Riser with Black Locust Limbs :P . Their payment method is Pay-Pal, I've never used it before or have I deal with G&M archery. I just hope using pay-pal is secure with them having my credit-card details :oops: (I actually prefer credit-card transactions). I guess it will be here in 1-2 weeks if all goes to plan judging by other purchase I've made from the states, and then I'll post pics for everyone 8) . Between gmarchery.com and archerybymail.com, they had heaps of chek-mates! :twisted:. Just want to thank everyone again for all the help,this is the most helpful forum I've come across.

Thanks,
James (Cav01).

piggy

#8 Post by piggy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:53 pm

James best of luck with that new bow :wink:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:33 pm

Congrats on the new bow mate, look forward to the photos of it when it arrives. The Check Mates seem to be very popular.

Jeff

bsrecurve

#10 Post by bsrecurve » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:11 pm

mate - i think you've just made a very good choice.
i think paypal is probably the most secure payment method, as the payee doesnt actually see your details, they just receive the balance - that is the whole point of paypal.
i would be very supprised if you have any problems with what you've done, and i think you'll be pleasantly supprised in the end.

also i think you've made a good choice regarding the bow you bought. so far i'd have to say that i prefer the hunter 2 over the falcon (although the falcon is an excelent shooter). the hunter 2 seems a bit more stable, and a bit faster overall. it will also be a lot cheeper in terms of postage too.
cant wait to see the pics of your new bow mate - good for you. :D

Mick Smith

#11 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:20 am

Mate, I think you've done everything right. You've picked an excellent bow, one I'm sure you will be more than happy with. Paypal is great. I've been using it a lot over the last 12 months or so. I've found it to be totally secure, fast and convenient.

You'll have to post a photo of it, when it arrives. I'd love to see it. :wink:

Well done!! :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

cav01

#12 Post by cav01 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:36 pm

Well, I knew that everything would not go smoothly.

I've payed for the bow and now they need money for the delivery costs.but now there is no money in my pay-pal account and have to wait to get verified before I can transfer money from my account to the pay-pal account :oops:. So now I have to wait until pay-pal sends some money to my account so that can be used to verify the account, does this sound about right to you guys?

thanks again guys for the support,
James (Cav01).

cav01

#13 Post by cav01 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:50 pm

HA HA,
I fixed the problem by using my head (it was an eureka moment :lol: ). all payed for and now I wait 8).

Thanks guys,
James (cav01).

Edit: found a pic on recurves.com of the exact woods used. here it is Image

Mick Smith

#14 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:08 pm

James

Palpal did that to me not that long ago. I think you can use your VISA card for the first $1000 and then after that they insist on having your savings bank details. You give them your branch and account number and they deposit two small amounts into your account, you then advise them of the amount of the two deposits. This confirms to them that the account is indeed yours. After you have been "verified" you can pay for things from your bank account or still through your VISA.

I was I bit puzzled by all this. In fact I complained bitterly to them by email. I couldn't understand why we couldn't continue to simply use my VISA card, afterall it's good enough to buy almost anything from anybody at anytime. I wasn't given a satisfactory answer in my view. I have come to the personal conclusion that this is their way of extending their network. You see, now in my situation, not only can I pay money to people through Paypal, I can actually receive money from anyone too. It all means more business for Paypal into the future.

I'm still convinced that my money is safe with them though. The savings account details that I gave them is only a small account that we only use every now and then. There's very little money in it anyway.

It sounds as though you sorted it out anyway. :wink:

Mick

cav01

#15 Post by cav01 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:15 pm

Yeah, I saw that I still had some money out of that first $1000 to use before need my bank account set-up,then it wouldn't let me pay the delivery money that I owned them. I then realized that my VISA card expired today :roll: and updated my profile with my new details, all fixed from then on....

I still felt like abit of a dill though.

James (Cav01).

BattleAxe

#16 Post by BattleAxe » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:11 pm

It's a pity these sites dont put in some pics to see what they look like :cry:

Mick Smith

#17 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:47 pm

They are one very nice looking bow I reckon. I like the bubinga and shedua together. I've got another Chekmate ordered myself. It's going to have bubinga and cocobolo in the riser. Mine's the 56 inch Hunter model.

I've got a quiver the same as the one in the photo too. It's a Thunderhorn "Boa". They make a nice combo. 8)

The next couple of weeks will go slow for you, no doubt. It will be worth the wait though.

Mick