Buy an Australian Wooden Flatbow?

Want to sell, buy or trade. Not restricted to archery items.

Moderator: Moderators

poweruserm

Buy an Australian Wooden Flatbow?

#1 Post by poweruserm » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:30 pm

I am trying to find a place within Australia from where I can,
via the internet or a bank cheque in the post or similar, buy a
traditional wooden flatbow, a so-called, "modern" longbow,
around the $120 AUD mark.

I am of the understanding that I need to reach a bowyer
that does not import wood from overseas, but one that
uses available timber from inside Australia.

-I seek a traditional bow that is 60" inches tall, with a pull weight
of 30# pounds.

-I want an object of lighter brown, or even "white" coloured wood.

-I would like a RH bow, either with a shelf on the left hand side,
per that, or a bow with two shelves, on both sides, at this intiating
point.

-I may or may not want a bow that is treated using modern substances
at this stage. A polyurethane finished by might be acceptable at this point,
however I might also want an original bow.
How were traditional bows sealed in a way that could be purchased of
nowadays?

-I would also like a brown leather grip.

Could someone in the know, with an internet email address
or a telephone number, please reply with such to me, here?

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Buy an Australian Wooden Flatbow?

#2 Post by greybeard » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:40 pm

Welcome to Ozbow.

Firstly, are you located in Australia and if so in what general area do you reside.
poweruserm wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:30 pm.......buy a traditional wooden flatbow, a so-called, "modern" longbow,around the $120 AUD mark.
Realistically, the ‘starting price’ for a custom made selfbow is probably in the $350.00 to $400.00 range. Posting/shipping would be an additional cost.
poweruserm wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:30 pm......-I seek a traditional bow that is 60" inches tall, with a pull weight of 30# pounds.........
At what draw length?, as this will determine a safer ‘n to n’ length for a flatbow. The general rule is double the draw length plus 20%. Calculate the ‘n to n’ length on the DLPP in preference to the AMO.

The timber species will dictate, to a large degree the style of bow.

If all else fails research the topic and make your own bow, the information is available for those willing to try and to learn.

If at all possible avoid second hand selfbows because of an unknown history of possible misuse and abuse.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

poweruserm

#3 Post by poweruserm » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:25 pm

-I am located inside Australia.

-I am 6 feet 4 inches tall, and the distances of my total armspan
across my torso is 75.6" inches.

-I have been practicing with a 30# poound pull weight, 60" inch bow at this time.

-I have observed that the import costs for staves or bows from overseas
tends to add $100 AUD. I have also observed that in most placed
internationally, like the USA, England, etc. it is possible for
them to purchase wooden self bows that are about the $120 mark for them.
Is there a way to obtain a wooded D-shaped traditional bow like this,
from inside Australia, to Australia, with $120 AUD starting costs?

perry

#4 Post by perry » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:03 pm

short answer -no !

longer answers if you are willing to make your own with guidance from a experienced Person who would offer there services for free all you need is a $10 Australian Hardwood Board and some time and determination. I have taught / instructed a great many People to make Selfbows and other Archery Gear but as I run Selfbow Making Workshops on behalf of Traditional Archery Australia for a cost of $165 it is not appropriate for me to offer free service any longer.

If your interested in the Traditional Archery Australia Workshop keep an eye on this Webite for updates on the next Workshop http://www.traditionalarcheryaustralia.org/ I have had a busy and somewhat unfortunate year to date and have not run a Workshop this year. I am working on organising one as we speak. There is information on the Website on what to expect.

The $165 covers Instruction from very experienced Selfbowyer's, TAA supply a suitable Stave, all Hand Tools, consumables such as Sandpaper and learning how to make a Flemish Twist String. I make ZERO Money out of this but all Instructors are reimbursed Expenses, all funds after expenses are directed to buying new Tools and Supplies for expanding these Selfbow Workshops around the Country and buying new Staves and resupplying consumables such as Sandpaper and String Material. At present I have only run them in South East Queensland as I have not found other experienced Bowyers who are available at this Stage in other regions. I have people who are interested in Instructing but it's early days and a work in progress. Feel free to message if you require more details.

I am prepared to travel a reasonable distance to run Workshops outside of South East Queensland but would need at least 4 preferably 8 People to increase viability.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

poweruserm

#5 Post by poweruserm » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:48 pm

Thank you for replying, however I was thinking in terms of South Australia.

Is there anyone else who can reply here who can help with the questions
I have started this discussion thread with?

perry

#6 Post by perry » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:21 pm

you will not buy a new Selfbow worth owning from a well known or reputable Bowyer in Australia for $120 unless you can find someone to who is willing to assist you to make it. I have recently asked a friend in South Australia to help another Fellow and sadly he has said he does not have the time.

Good luck in your quest.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by greybeard » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:54 am

poweruserm wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:25 pm ......I am 6 feet 4 inches tall, and the distances of my total armspan
across my torso is 75.6" inches.......

Unfortunately arm spread is not a reliable indicator of draw length as skeletal features vary from person to person.

The more accurate method is as illustrated in the diagram.
Draw Length.jpg
Draw Length.jpg (27.75 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
poweruserm wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:25 pm .......I have been practicing with a 30# poound pull weight, 60" inch bow at this time.........
Is the bow you are practicing with laminated glass/timber or a selfbow.

What is the intended purpose of the bow, field, target and hunting or re enacting?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

poweruserm

#8 Post by poweruserm » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:05 pm

-The purpose is field and target, via a wooden traditional bow, which
I would prefer to be non-bamboo.

Does anyone else have better ideas for purchasing such a bow
inside Australia, such as all this?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:46 pm

I agree with Daryl and Perry that it is unrealistic to think you are going to purchase a quality selfbow for $120. A decent stave alone will cost half or even more of that price.

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by greybeard » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:07 pm

poweruserm wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:05 pm ......Does anyone else have better ideas for purchasing such a bow inside Australia, such as all this?

Sorry I can't help you any further and I don't know of any bowyers who work for nothing.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

shaftcaster

#11 Post by shaftcaster » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:43 pm

Although a little unclear whether you are wanting a Selfbow or a Laminated Flatbow ??
I can recommend Ausbow Industries in Goolwa SA for a Finish Yourself Blank to save money [and incidently I have a Woomera that I may offload soon but 48#]
Otherwise Norseman Bows in NSW offer self bows [reinactment style]and not sure what else, so talk to Nick [good bloke]
If importing make sure wood will not end up in quarrantine.
Good luck regardless >>>--->