WTB Aussie Wood Stave

Want to sell, buy or trade. Not restricted to archery items.

Moderator: Moderators

Scooter135

WTB Aussie Wood Stave

#1 Post by Scooter135 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:35 am

Lookin to make another self bow but need a good stave to start it off. Anyone have an Aussie timber stave about 60-64” long? Thanks and Happy New Year!!

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: WTB Aussie Wood Stave

#2 Post by greybeard » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:04 pm

Scooter,

Are you after a split bush billet or a milled board?

It may be helpful to include your general location, perhaps in your avatar.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Scooter135

#3 Post by Scooter135 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:54 pm

Very true I’m sorry for that, I am in the Brisbane area and am looking for a natural cut timber stave. No boards please. Air dried or not is fine.

perry

#4 Post by perry » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:34 pm

Scooter can you access a Bush area and cut a Tree legally ? There is a large number of suitable Species growing in the South East that make good Selfbows. 2 common Tree's in South East Qld that make good Selfbows are both are known as Soapwood.

https://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/gnp6/alph-exc.html

and

http://www.brisrain.org.au/01_cms/detai ... ble&ID=570

both Tree's look very similar, the Leaves look the same but the Bark is slightly rough with the Red Ash [ Excelcia ] Red Ash is regarded as a better Selfbow Timber but I like Pink Ash because it is more common.

Let us know if you want any further guidance. I'm up at Morayfield and would be happy to help you out.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Scooter135

#5 Post by Scooter135 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:38 am

Hey Perry I have been emailing you about 2018 work shops. Being American and not sure what and where I can cut trees or wood I’m a little cautious about breaking the law. I’m on a military visa and can’t go getting in trouble out here

perry

#6 Post by perry » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:30 pm

righto then I know who you are now, welcome to Ozbow Mate. I live about 40 K North of Brisbane just off the Bruce Highway so it's likely a bit of a mission for you but give me a week and I'll see if I can cut a small diameter Soapwood / aka Pink Ash Tree for you. It will need time to dry out. Can not promise it will be a straight fault free Stave, mother nature rarely grows them. It's also not the best time of year being in the middle of the growth Season, the Bark tends to stick pretty well to them this time of year but in Winter the Bark usually comes off easy. I do not like leaving the Bark on, too many opportunities for Grubs to eat into the Stave then and besides they dry out faster.

Still a little early to announce the next Selfbow Workshop. We use Board Staves in them as generally they offer fewer surprises for new Bow Maker's

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by greybeard » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:49 am

Scooter,

I have found that Red ash [Alphitonia excelsa] is a lot easier to work with as apposed to iron bark, spotted gum and Brigalow. Additionally I believe red ash offers more flexibility in the cross section of limb design.

It can be difficult to find trees that yield long clean billets but ‘Z’ splicing shorter billets at the handle works well.

From experience red ash generally out performs pink ash although the pink ash performance can be improved by recurving the tips.

Daryl.
Red Ash Leaves.jpg
Red Ash Leaves.jpg (275.25 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
Red Ash Tree - Alphitonia Excelsa.jpg
Red Ash Tree - Alphitonia Excelsa.jpg (68.39 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

perry

#8 Post by perry » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:07 am

What Daryl says is spot on Scooter, sadly there is far more Pink Ash than Red Ash growing in this District and the Moreton Bay Council takes a pretty dim view of cutting the Red Ash Tree's they planted on the Footpaths :lol: My Back does not allow me to Cut larger Tree's for clean Billets any more but I'll look for the best small Diameter Pink Ash in the Paddock I cut my Timber in with an Oval Cross Section for as flat a back as possible.

regards Perry

- Charles Darwin

Scooter135

#9 Post by Scooter135 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:32 pm

You guys are both awesome and I really am thankful for the advice and info.

Perry that would be a huge huge help!!! I will let it dry till next summer and have a hatchet to split if needed. Thanks a ton! Look forward to hearing from you

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by greybeard » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:24 pm

Hi Scooter,

The red ash billets I use to get from Keith Keddie were harvested on private property somewhere in the Kenilworth area.

I don’t know if he is still harvesting them and if not he may be able to give you some contact names and details to enable you to harvest your own billets.

The contact details below may be out of date.

Daryl.

Joshua Bows
Address: 7 Marroo Road 4570 Brooloo Phone: (07)5484 5405.
Email: keithkeddie@gmail.com.
[Ascham]

little arrows

#11 Post by little arrows » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Keith Keddie has moved and now lives in the Bauple area. Not sure if he is still doing bows.

cheers
sue

Scooter135

#12 Post by Scooter135 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:57 pm

That’s checks, Keith replied to me and said he has been out of the bow making side of things for a long time. :-(