Postage from USA (and elsewhere) - comments and ideas?

Want to sell, buy or trade. Not restricted to archery items.

Moderator: Moderators

morganp

Postage from USA (and elsewhere) - comments and ideas?

#1 Post by morganp » Fri May 23, 2014 9:46 am

I have seen mention of this on other posts and I have had cause to do fair bit of purchasing from abroad in the past few years including many archery and related items. Lately, the shipping costs from USA on Ebay and elsewhere (Europe, UK) seem to have doubled making many things out of reach once again. But some sellers on Ebay do have a reasonable shipping cost, often half the price of everybody else (for example boots shipped at $23 a pair instead of the usual quoted $50+).

I have had clothing and goods shipped twice so far using this 'global shipping service' with no difficulty, it was fast and tracked and as I said, half price.

As yet Ebay have not responded to my questions about this service. Their 'learn more' page link actually goes to a 404 error! I have asked a couple of sellers to look into it where their own quoted shipping seems exorbitant and will post back about it. I have asked a couple of other sellers to look again at their shipping quotes. Hopefully one of them will respond.

So I haven't got to the bottom yet of why it can be half-price or a reasonable price (just had a heavy denim/sheepskin jacket shipped successfully for $24) for some. Not sure what the difference is between upns, ups, upnspsnpps or other postal services but certainly the Ebay 'global shipping program' works and maybe we should encourage our OS suppliers to use it where we cannot get the same goods in Aus.

As a 'btw' and a whinge I am getting airmail goods, usually small, electronic from China now in less than a week, better than from Melb and Sydney sometimes! It recently took a week for an Express Post 'sim' to get from Telstra, Melbourne to my small town less than 100km away. When I queried about this delay, this item somehow didn't show on the Auspost tracking despite barcodes etc. They blame Telstra, Telstra blame Auspost. :roll: Not the first time. I accept the odd mistake and error of course, that is life, but this is not the first time and it happened twice with this same item that Express Post took a few days more than overnight!

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Postage from USA (and elsewhere) - comments and ideas?

#2 Post by greybeard » Fri May 23, 2014 10:08 am

When I was sending bows to different parts of Australia shipping costs via courier were reduced substantially if I purchased a book of their coupons. From memory the books were in increments of $100.00.

With certain goods charging by mass and or volume can make a difference.

Depending on the volume of business, companies / sellers can negotiate favourable rates.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Fanto

#3 Post by Fanto » Fri May 23, 2014 10:41 am

Ebay has a shipping facility somewhere like Kentucky and uses it to forward items not offered by the seller for international shipment. i dont think you can access it unless they offer it, its out of the control of the seller they dont even know its happening.

I use Myus.com. its $40 bucks for a pair of shoes but really really cheap for bows. a longbow in a small box (50x50mm) is only about $65 bucks.
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Fri May 23, 2014 12:39 pm

I had a long bow shipped over here few years ago for $36 and been quoted $180 to ship a compound! The US system is a lottery. USPS has a maximum length policy, from memory about 46'' but if your parcel gets into the system it goes any way.In other words if the sender knows the little old lady who works in the local post office then your parcel is on its way, with little restrictions. I've mentioned this before but warrants repeating. I used a certain courier service and sent a bow to a customer in US, who in turn using SAME courier sent me a bow. My price was $68 AU delivered there , his price--- about $200 US.Figure that one out! I do know that forwarding agents such as Myus.com etc would appear to be the way to go if doing a lot of importing. My glass, micarta etc that I get form US has stayed about the same costs per shipping for several years, around $55-- $65 per order, which brings me to another point, my shipping costs for supplies are around 40% of total order, compared to that of a resident US bowyer who would pay minimal shipping within the country.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

jcm

#5 Post by jcm » Fri May 23, 2014 2:13 pm

The challenge of living in the Antipodes.
Regards

John

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Fri May 23, 2014 3:05 pm

bigbob wrote:which brings me to another point, my shipping costs for supplies are around 40% of total order, compared to that of a resident US bowyer who would pay minimal shipping within the country.
Bob,

I do not think it is fair to compare local postage with international postage.

Received a parcel from Bingham's via USPS yesterday and postage was 22.5 percent of the invoiced value of the goods.

I did a costing exercise a some time back re purchasing locally compared to importing from the U.S.A. At that time one Aus. $ bought .8722853 of a U.S. dollar.

Buying locally the invoice value was $482.82 which included $17.20 postage.

Buying overseas the invoice value was $374.82 which included $68.15 postage.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

morganp

#7 Post by morganp » Fri May 23, 2014 3:24 pm

This explains some of it:
http://www.sellershelpingeachother.com/ ... ney-bowes/

I know this worked well for me lately but I cannot know how it compares if the sellers would otherwise make an effort to find cheap shipping (from USA for example).

This Global Shipping Program should be a more expensive option as they have handling charges and check customs etc. so I can only remark that for me the postage was HALF, using this method, than otherwise quoted. It may well be worth pushing any of your suppliers to try this option if they have an outlet through Ebay, or for them to provide such an outlet.

I will let you know here how it goes over time; for example I have requested some goods from one supplier that is offering at USA prices (same brand costs twice as much in Aus. and was very difficult to find) - the postage is LESS than all the other suppliers were, in fact LESS than AU internal postage was. I know some sellers add a bit into shipping costs but if this company is for real and the feedback etc suggests they are OK with 99.7% feedback the Global Shipping Program means the shipping is once again less than half price of elsewhere.

This has to be worth finding out about for any of us that buy abroad regularly!

bigbob

#8 Post by bigbob » Fri May 23, 2014 4:03 pm

I don't think you saw my point Daryl. :roll: I was illustrating that Us residential bowyers can get their supplies as a discount compared with us, taking international shipping into account compared with them getting supplies either locally or through their domestic services, hence much cheaper. Also because I know its cost effective to obtain a big order and pay marginally higher than for a small order I would love to be in a position to do just that. However a typical order for me allowing for limited funds would be , say 4 sets glass and couple strips of phenolic, with possibly a riser block. This would be in the order of $150 [without riser] and my shipping charges would be from $55 - $65
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by greybeard » Sat May 24, 2014 7:44 am

Bob,

I don't think comparing international postage with local postage has any validity in this situation.

To be fair I believe you should be making the comparison with shipping rates from various countries to Australia.

With Bingham's pricing buying up to 49 strips saves $1.00 per strip so there are no substantial savings.

If you want cheap postage buy your glass etc. in Australia.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

bigbob

#10 Post by bigbob » Sat May 24, 2014 8:12 am

You can't see that a bow maker in the US has substantially lower costs than one in Australia? Ok that's fine. Also if I was in a position to order larger amounts then the freight does not rise exponentially but at a more modest level meaning that although little is saved on the actual glass the shipping costs are not a great deal more than a small order.
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by greybeard » Sat May 24, 2014 9:04 am

bigbob wrote:You can't see that a bow maker in the US has substantially lower costs than one in Australia?
Bob,

Generally, wages in America are quite a bit lower.

Are you trying to compete in the US market?

If a US bowyer ships a bow to Australia doesn't he face the same predicament.

As for bowyers in Australia we are all in the same boat when it comes to overseas shipping.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

morganp

#12 Post by morganp » Sat May 24, 2014 9:32 am

greybeard wrote: As for bowyers in Australia we are all in the same boat when it comes to overseas shipping.
Daryl.
Unless we examine and research WHY this expense varies so much and what is available where. I am getting a saving of a good few dollars ($160+ over three purchases) that I can spend on other stuff, hopefully in Aus.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by greybeard » Sat May 24, 2014 12:24 pm

morganp wrote:
greybeard wrote: As for bowyers in Australia we are all in the same boat when it comes to overseas shipping.
Daryl.
Unless we examine and research WHY this expense varies so much and what is available where. I am getting a saving of a good few dollars ($160+ over three purchases) that I can spend on other stuff, hopefully in Aus.
Ninety nine percent of my overseas purchases are through Bingham's in the USA.

Their overseas shipping policy is such that I have little choice.

ATTENTION INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS:

PAYMENT: Bank Card, International Money Orders or Bank Wire Transfers in U.S. funds: Add $25 for bank charges when using wire transfers. Non US. currency and checks drawn on non U.S banks cannot be accepted. SHIPPING COSTS: Determined by package weight, size and destination Actual shipping is charged. SHIPPING PREFERENCE: Parcel Post Air or UPS Express. Unless otherwise requested, orders will be shipped by best method.

UPS requires a physical address. A Post Office Box is not sufficient.

From a business point of view it makes sense for Bingham's to rationalise overseas shipping otherwise they could have untold numbers of forwarding /shipping agents to deal with.

We ought to think ourselves privileged to have the luxury of being able to shop overseas in the comfort of our home.

Daryl.
Last edited by greybeard on Sat May 24, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Ascham]

morganp

#14 Post by morganp » Sat May 24, 2014 12:45 pm

greybeard wrote: We ought to think ourselves privileged to have the luxury of being able to shop overseas in the comfort of our home.
For some time now I have been getting the impression that Aussies are becoming a bunch of wingers. Are we taking over from the Poms?
Daryl.
It is 'market', not 'privilege'. Let us not move closer to insult, intentional or otherwise. You are the one 'winging' (spelling) I reckon, I am trying to find out about keeping shipping costs down using as an example a verified shipping of $23 where most others want over $50 for same goods. That is not 'winging', it is sound commonsense and gives me cash to spend or save. In fact I purchased a game camera with the savings and also made more savings doing that. The market gains as do I. I am celebrating and inquiring further, not whinging.

Refusing to ship to a P.O. Box is another example I find annoying. I am not sure why some shippers do this. I live in the bush, no mail service available despite twenty years of requesting it, the nearest official RMB roadside boxes are very insecure, are more than two kilometers distant and get trashed. The Post Office Box I therefore prefer costs me a small amount yearly and I have to travel to it but it provides excellent security with tracking and verification of identity available for shipper where necessary on delivery/pickup. I can also check goods (within reason) and refuse acceptance and get immediate return not at my expense if faulty or wrong item. If I remember rightly I also needed identity verification to get it which covers State Security. No shipper should refuse it. I have ways round this that usually work, i.e. I use the street address of Post Office.

There is nothing wrong in asking any seller to reconsider or look at methods and costs of shipping. If you cannot go elsewhere and don't want to put them, poor bastards, to the trouble that is fine. Just don't suggest I am whinging when I am being wise and also considering others.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by greybeard » Sat May 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Overseas shipping costs represent just under 2% of the sales price of my bows.

This 2% is a justifiable cost that is passed on to the customer.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

GrahameA

#16 Post by GrahameA » Sat May 24, 2014 2:09 pm

morganp wrote:.... Refusing to ship to a P.O. Box is another example I find annoying. I am not sure why some shippers do this. ....
UPS is a logistics company not a postal service. If you want items delivered to a Post Box then get it mailed via the U.S. Postal Service (Parcel Post Air).
morganp wrote:.... Not sure what the difference is between upns, ups, upnspsnpps or other postal services ....
It is your own interest to find out what the difference is.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

bigbob

#17 Post by bigbob » Sat May 24, 2014 2:59 pm

I never thought I would need to say this Daryl, but some of the remarks you've made even if not directed directly at me or perhaps obliquely are quite belligerent and not necessary on this forum.My remarks were genuine observations and verifiable. Simply because some one has a different experience to you is no cause to belittle them nor 'brand' them with petty name calling I would have thought you were better than that. My costs proportionally are a great deal higher than what you have quoted, be that as it may I no longer wish to contribute any more to this 'discussion'
razorbows.com

morganp

#18 Post by morganp » Sat May 24, 2014 3:57 pm

Don't stop because of Daryl, BigBob, for some reason he has his knickers in a knot and there's nothing you or I said that deserved the response. Let it go mate, it was hopefully not aimed so we shouldn't take it as too personal - or at least, if it were, it was unusual behaviour. The guy has been around here a while, let him have a bad day and keep on here with anything you want to say, it is all valid and relevant. Costs affect all of us, you as maker and some of us as your customers!

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by greybeard » Sat May 24, 2014 5:07 pm

morganp wrote:Don't stop because of Daryl, BigBob, for some reason he has his knickers in a knot and there's nothing you or I said that deserved the response.
Morganp and Bigbob I did not realise you were so sensitive so I have edited the post that caused dismay.

And no I have not got my knickers in a knot as I am quite happy with the price and service I receive from Bingham's.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

morganp

#20 Post by morganp » Sat May 24, 2014 5:38 pm

greybeard wrote:
morganp wrote:Don't stop because of Daryl, BigBob, for some reason he has his knickers in a knot and there's nothing you or I said that deserved the response.
Morganp and Bigbob I did not realise you were so sensitive so I have edited the post that caused dismay.

And no I have not got my knickers in a knot as I am quite happy with the price and service I receive from Bingham's.

Daryl.
I'm not sensitive in the way you suggest, nor dismayed. Perhaps you phrased things badly, perhaps not, either way two of us saw it as we did. No, I am not stupid either. You can pay what you choose and wish and not 'winge' about it and then pass it on to customers if you have them (I don't know if you sell). I shall continue to try and get a fair price and let others know when I do so they too can benefit.

Jim

#21 Post by Jim » Sun May 25, 2014 2:30 pm

morganp wrote:I have seen mention of this on other posts and I have had cause to do fair bit of purchasing from abroad in the past few years including many archery and related items. Lately, the shipping costs from USA on Ebay and elsewhere (Europe, UK) seem to have doubled making many things out of reach once again.
Last year sometime USPS did a substantial repricing of their international shipping rates. I'm lead to believe that for some size and weight packages shipping more than doubled. In early 2013 3rivers quoted me something like $35 shipping for a take down recurve. This year for the same bow they quoted me over $100.
"Structural Integrity of the entire arrow system is THE most important factor in terminal arrow performance. When structural integrity fails nothing else about your arrow's design matters."
-Doc Ashby

GrahameA

#22 Post by GrahameA » Sun May 25, 2014 9:00 pm

Evening All.
Jim wrote:Last year sometime USPS did a substantial repricing of their international shipping rates. I'm lead to believe that for some size and weight packages shipping more than doubled. In early 2013 3rivers quoted me something like $35 shipping for a take down recurve. This year for the same bow they quoted me over $100.
My understanding is that postage in the US is expensive.

It may be worthwhile to do the exercise of comparing the costs to send similar articles from Aus to the US by AusPost compared to from the US to Aus by the US Postal Service.

As an example to send roughly 4lb from the US to Aus via the USPS will cost around US$42
postus.jpg
postus.jpg (42.09 KiB) Viewed 6034 times
http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.asp ... 20AM&dv=10

To send roughly 4lb from Aus to the US via Aus Post would cost Aus$63
postaus.jpg
postaus.jpg (54.07 KiB) Viewed 6034 times
http://auspost.com.au/apps/internationa ... tryCode=US

Hmmmmm..........
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

morganp

#23 Post by morganp » Mon May 26, 2014 2:01 pm

Of course, some items like tree stands are quite heavy and are pretty expensive at $135 to $300+ but you also pay postage of more than $1000 ... maybe they strap it to your favourite tree for you?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tree-Stand-C ... 1c3ebc308a

If you spend some time, you will find more utilitarian models elsewhere (reviewed as safe and strong) for $30 with $22 postage ....
so whatever the expectation and argument, it is always worth looking around unless you are stupid or insanely rich.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#24 Post by greybeard » Mon May 26, 2014 5:24 pm

GrahameA wrote:My understanding is that postage in the US is expensive.
Grahame,

I received a parcel of fibreglass strips from Bingham’s last week via USPS and the postage was US 74.45 which included insurance.

The goods are cleared through Sydney and delivered in The Great South East by Australia Post.

The same parcel delivered to San Francisco via USPS is US56.00 including insurance.

I do not know if there are any conditions attached to the online price.
Postage Odgen Ut To San Farncisco.jpg
Postage Odgen Ut To San Farncisco.jpg (133.1 KiB) Viewed 6006 times
Daryl.
[Ascham]

morganp

#25 Post by morganp » Fri May 30, 2014 12:00 pm

I have had a long and considered response from a dealer in the USA who has had a few queries of late from Aussie buyers and that I had purchased from before. He considers the market here, although small, is often from recommendation, is loyal and usually repeat business he wants to keep and expand. His specific remarks he has asked me to keep private as he uses names of dealers he has supplied and postal/shipping services, but overall the response is that Australia, as a destination, has an out-of-proportion number of losses and returns and especially claims of non-arrival. He says this is a well known phenomenon remarked upon in conversation at conferences and trade shows etc. and is more than anecdotal, it is apparent in his accounting. This all, the dealing with claims and so on, takes time and even if covered by insurance, often adds up to overall loss and bad feeling. He now uses the Ebay 'global shipping program' only. He also states that although some goods seem to be a bit more expensive to ship using this service, many of them are considerably cheaper and overall his clients are well served by this program which seems to work well and be very quick compared to past experiences.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#26 Post by greybeard » Sat May 31, 2014 6:47 pm

The Ebay 'global shipping program' appears to have mixed bag of customer satisfaction claims. The following link is one of several on Google.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/online- ... o/1230738/

Daryl.
[Ascham]