Starting a shop

Want to sell, buy or trade. Not restricted to archery items.

Moderator: Moderators

longbow steve

Re: Starting a shop

#31 Post by longbow steve » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:47 am

Hey guys, well the shop is going ahead and building momentum. Opening in a month. Can any of you who have somthing to sell get cracking as we open in a month. After knives, bows ,arrows, fishing related gear, bushcraft, leatherwork etc. On consignment or I can buy saleable stuff. Thanks guys

Flatliner

#32 Post by Flatliner » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:23 pm

Hi Steve, still trying to get on top of the orders mate, but when I get a gap you're in there. Good to hear it's a goer.

Rob
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

longbow steve

#33 Post by longbow steve » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:01 am

Thanks Rob :smile:

Tonylange

#34 Post by Tonylange » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:08 pm

Hey Steve, Mate i trust you got the 3 dozen arrows i sent you? i sent them with Kevin.
Regards Anthony.
To fire one lonesome arrow,
At thou's only beating heart.
To pierce thy flesh,
to kill this beast.
Tis the hunters sacred art.

Owner And Maker of: Blue Moon Archery

bigbob

#35 Post by bigbob » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:30 pm

hope I can get a spare one to send down at some stage too.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

longbow steve

#36 Post by longbow steve » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:34 pm

Thanks Tony and Bob, Kevin still has the arrows. I have been flat out doing the fit out of the shop, painting and rounding up other artists/crafters. Opening in 2 days :shock: . Be in touch soon. Cheers Steve

longbowinfected

#37 Post by longbowinfected » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:25 pm

Breathe easy Anthony.
Steve picked up your arrows a few minutes ago.
I went to archery this morning at the club and popped in to the new store on the way back home.

The new sales point looks great. Very classy. Some interesting gear made by some great crafts people.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Ian Turner

#38 Post by Ian Turner » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:43 pm

Hey Steve,
What are the open hours of your shop and do you have EFT / Credit Card facilities etc and what is the address?
Cheers
Ian

longbow steve

#39 Post by longbow steve » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:15 pm

Ian Turner wrote:Hey Steve,
What are the open hours of your shop and do you have EFT / Credit Card facilities etc and what is the address?
Cheers
Ian
Hi Ian, 9am til 3 pm and yes we will have EFT. The owners of the building have had a hickup with council and fire regulations and have to have the front and rear doors changed so someone in there when locked at night can get out easily. The only person I can imagine would be locked in there at night would be someone who shouldn't be there :confused: . Hopefully open by the end of the week. Steve

morganp

#40 Post by morganp » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:18 am

longbow steve wrote:
Cheers
Ian
Hopefully open by the end of the week. Steve
Will you know your address by then please mate? ;-p
Will you have a website too?
ta
Last edited by morganp on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Turner

#41 Post by Ian Turner » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:45 am

Hey Steve; probably jumping the gun a bit here but as the last poster said a website and mail order facility would really help your business / shop.
As I say though probably jumping the gun a bit as theses things take time to get up and running,
Please make sure you put up the address of the store.
Cheers and all the best.
Hope to get up there in the not to distant future.

clinton miller

#42 Post by clinton miller » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:45 pm

flintknapping?
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

morganp

#43 Post by morganp » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:55 pm

There's a Bega Valley Archery website which is excellent, a company called Darkwing is part of the site - http://begaarchers.com.au/?page_id=475
- they have some amazing flint (obsidian) heads and obsidian skinning knives which would be worth a look if you don't know of them.
They also have some video tutorials on the art/craft

Clinton M, have you got a webpage? I have a few bone and stone arrow heads already but would like to find a decent knife if you make them.

longbow steve

#44 Post by longbow steve » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:44 pm

morganp wrote:
longbow steve wrote:
Cheers
Ian
Hopefully open by the end of the week. Steve
Will you know your address by then please mate? ;-p
Will you have a website too?
ta
35 Govetts Leap Rd Blackheath, Old hardware store in the main street of town. Steve

longbow steve

#45 Post by longbow steve » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:48 pm

Ian Turner wrote:Hey Steve; probably jumping the gun a bit here but as the last poster said a website and mail order facility would really help your business / shop.
As I say though probably jumping the gun a bit as theses things take time to get up and running,
Please make sure you put up the address of the store.
Cheers and all the best.
Hope to get up there in the not to distant future.
We will have a Facebook page up soon, I don't know about a webshop yet but a basic page is in the not to distant future. If you tell me what you want I can let you know if I have it or can get it. I will post new cool stuff here as I can ie quivers, knife sheaths etc.
I intend to do bow making workshops in the near future too. Steve

longbow steve

#46 Post by longbow steve » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:49 pm

clinton miller wrote:flintknapping?
Hi Clinton, Yes I intended to get some Obsidian and knapping tools but being a novice can you tell me what would suit you best? Cheers Steve

clinton miller

#47 Post by clinton miller » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:37 am

is that darkwing in USA or here in Australia? looks like some fine work. better than anything i've chipped so far.

as for material, i think obsidian would be the easiest material to learn on. i'm still learning the basics now. DC Waldorf's videos are the best instruction videos i've seen.
getting material can be expensive. i've always traded for mine on primitive archer forum.

i had a chuckle when i read the BH description. " for the serious primitive hunter".
if your serious, you're making your own.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

morganp

#48 Post by morganp » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:44 am

clinton miller wrote:is that darkwing in USA or here in Australia?
I assumed Aus because it is on the Bega valley trad archery site which is in Aus I think :wink: ... but assumptions on the 'net are often stupid. I will look further later. I did also assume the obsidian and jasper is from abroad as I could never find it here. They use synthetic sinew which I don't like much otherwise I would get a skinning blade from them, those black obsidian with antler hafts look great.

Obsidian is sharper than any steel and doesn't rust ... not a toy but I don't think it will replace a skandi or a Puma anytime soon.

Trad seems to becoming quickly more of a niche market all round, 'primitive' may be not much of a seller but certainly of interest. Along with re-enactment, overall the numbers are high enough for a market but probably not in a shop that needs turnover.

longbowinfected

#49 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:13 pm

Do not ignore the fact that many visitors will be turned on by the gear as an art form as much as anything else.
When you see the calibre of the artwork on sale you will quickly understand. Most of the stuff there will end up as high end décor and talking points.

Steve, if you have any PNG contacts or Islander contacts genuine indigenous archery sets would fit the bill I would think.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Lord Gerbalicious

#50 Post by Lord Gerbalicious » Thu May 08, 2014 1:10 pm

Hey All
First, to the guy opening the shop, awesome idea and I really hope it works out. So great to be able to browse local craftsmens' goods in the one place!

I hope people don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way, I'm a lawyer and this forum has helped me out with building arrows, so I thought I can give a bit back with some legal knowledge. The below shouldn't scare any of the craftsmen away from selling on consignment, it should do the opposite - there is a very simple and easy way to protect goods you sell on consignment.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about creditors taking goods. Creditors don't just mean banks, if the shop owner defaults on rent etc. the creditors can also mean the landlord. And yep, I've seen plenty of cases where creditors and landlords have walked in and taken possession of goods in a shop, and the poor buggers who sold on consignment have lost their goods without being paid (in a recent Court case, those goods were a whole fleet of Caterpillar vehicles).

For those of you selling your goods on consignment, the Personal Properties Securities Act allows you to register a "security interest" in any of the goods you give to the shop to sell. If the shop owner happens to have creditors knocking on the door, your security interest should protect title to your goods.

It's a very easy process, and you can register one "ongoing" security interest over the goods you supply now and in the future. You can call the PPS Registrar to talk about your specific needs, or go see a lawyer. http://www.ppsr.gov.au/AsktheRegistrar/ ... fault.aspx

Please note none of the above is legal advice specific to this situation, it is simply pointing out the law on title to goods in Australia.

Ian Turner

#51 Post by Ian Turner » Thu May 08, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi Lord (Interesting name).
That is great information for anyone to have and as you say in your opening that it should give comfort to the consignor when consigning their goods to the consignee for sale and the worst case scenario happens.
Cheers
Ian

robmoore

#52 Post by robmoore » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:55 pm

longbow steve wrote: 35 Govetts Leap Rd Blackheath, Old hardware store in the main street of town. Steve
I was in the area, called in to the shop on Sunday and spoke to Erin. It deserves any support or publicity we can give. It appears to be a good location and especially popular on weekends. Wishing you every success Steve.

Bob

longbow steve

#53 Post by longbow steve » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:52 am

robmoore wrote:
longbow steve wrote: 35 Govetts Leap Rd Blackheath, Old hardware store in the main street of town. Steve
I was in the area, called in to the shop on Sunday and spoke to Erin. It deserves any support or publicity we can give. It appears to be a good location and especially popular on weekends. Wishing you every success Steve.

Bob
Thanks Rob, Sorry I wasn't there to see you. The shop is going well, 12 people lined up for bow making workshops, Numerous sets of arrows, quivers, fox whistles etc sold to non archers. Look forward to seeing more members of the forum pop in. Cheers Steve

Crazybrave

#54 Post by Crazybrave » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:54 pm

Wicked! Sounds awesome! I will be checking it out next time I head over the mountains to the coast. Hope it's all going well Steve!
Shoot straight...

Crazybrave

#55 Post by Crazybrave » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:55 am

Actually come to think of it mate I make slings that throw rocks. Maybe you would want to chuck a couple on your shelf? See attached photo.

They are mad fun for just flinging rocks around, they launch them a fair way!

PM me if you are interested. Cheers man
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (153.48 KiB) Viewed 6623 times
Shoot straight...

Ian Turner

#56 Post by Ian Turner » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:12 am

Hi Steve hope to get up there this weekend; what are you open hours and is there a railway station abny where nearby?
Cheers
Ian

longbowinfected

#57 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:39 am

Blackheath Railway station is within easy walking distance.
When you leave the station the main shops are across the rail line on the GWHighway. You cross the rail line and GWHighway and you are in the right street running at right angles to the GWH 9pub on the corner). Go past the pie shop [best French Vietnamese style pies anywhere] keep walking past cross street and it is further down next to or a couple of shops past the old Commonwealth Bank and on the same side.
I have some of Steve's flyers in my car. I can give you one if you are at PCA Fri morn, Sat or Sunday.

Kevin

longbow steve

#58 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:38 am

Ian Turner wrote:Hi Steve hope to get up there this weekend; what are you open hours and is there a railway station abny where nearby?
Cheers
Ian
Hi Ian, yes Blackheath railway station is 5 mins walk. 35 Govetts Leap rd Blackheath. The main street in town just down from the Commonwealth bank as Kev said. I may not be there as I will be doing my day job over the weekend but get Erin to give me a call when you are in and I will see if I can meet up with you. Cheers Steve