WTB Bodkin points

Want to sell, buy or trade. Not restricted to archery items.

Moderator: Moderators

looseplucker

WTB Bodkin points

#1 Post by looseplucker » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:41 am

Hello chaps

I would like to make some medieval arrows for my semievil son. I'm chasing down short bodkin points. Wildwood Archery dont seem to be selling from their site. Any ideas?
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

GrahameA

Re: WTB Bodkin points

#2 Post by GrahameA » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:58 am

Morning.

Possibilities I have used.

Historically Bodkins are square in X-Section, Do yours have to be square? You can grind round one to a square shape. Do they have to be Historically accurate or do you just want look the part?

1. Buy some ACE Classics from John at AMSO128. They are great. Grind them square if you want to look more Authentic.

2, AMSO128 also sells "ModBods" aka Turkish Points. Great and you grind square again.

3. Grab a Tapered Field point and grind square and use - not as impressive looking but the look the part.

4. Grab you Lathe and turn some bar steel to required dimensions. Then grind square.

5. Buy a set from a supplier - will affect hip pocket nerve badly. Some suppliers have cast iron/steel ones available

6. Get a blacksmith friend to make some in return for cash or something you can make - Cash will hurt again, barter will hurt much less.

7. Forge a set yourself - takes time, big learning curve and requires more tools. Do not buy cheap tools. After making a few you may decide just buying them is a much less painful option.

I have used all of the above. ACE Classic and Turkish Point are great if you want to shoot them. Chisel Pointed Hardened Specials are great for shooting through plate and impressing the public.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:58 am

Try John (jcm) mate. I think he carries some.

Jeff

looseplucker

#4 Post by looseplucker » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:01 am

Thanks Chaps

The idea of grinding field points square is interesting. I think William would like them as authentic as possible. I did have some on arrows that Tom McDonald left at my place, but a couple have going missing and I would like to make William a matching set.

I emailed John too.

NCArcher

#5 Post by NCArcher » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:03 pm

you could try here.
http://www.medieval-fightclub.com/categ ... rrowheads/

Not too expensive.

WOLF

#6 Post by WOLF » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:42 pm

Cheers
Neil

57# Predator Hunter
55# Mohawk Classic
80# Lionheart Tri Lam ELB

kerrille

#7 Post by kerrille » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:24 pm

i get a lot of my stuff from here it's pommy.

http://www.thelongbowshop.com/

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

looseplucker

#8 Post by looseplucker » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Gday Chasps

Got an email over to John McDonald and all set!

I did check 3 Rivers and the other places but when we're talking a boy who can be expensive on equipment a lot of their prices were a a bit of a hit on the back pocket.

Going to try some of Graham Amy's ideas too -

However - a big THANKS to everyone who posted or got in touch off forum. William will get a set of medieval arrows for his 12th birthday to go with the ELB I made him a while back that he can now draw.

When he heard I'd misplaced the heads (from arras he broke) he was a tad upset, but I reckon he'll be happy with the new lot.