Hollywood's effect hits home...want to buy a longbow!

Want to sell, buy or trade. Not restricted to archery items.

Moderator: Moderators

blu-dog

Hollywood's effect hits home...want to buy a longbow!

#1 Post by blu-dog » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:56 pm

After being totally engaged in the "Hunger Games" trilogy and seeing the movie this weekend...my daughter has finally succumbed to the beckoning of the longbow. As her birthday is approaching, she has asked for a longbow so that she can start to attend some shoots with her brothers and I.

So, I'm looking for a cheaper longbow - (to ensure she is going to stick with it first)... Right handed, light poundage. Jess is 14 (approximately 172cm) and finely built, so will need a low poundage draw.
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!
They will travel with me wherever life's path leads...

danceswithdingoes

Re: Hollywood's effect hits home...want to buy a longbow!

#2 Post by danceswithdingoes » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:12 pm

Ive sold it
Last edited by danceswithdingoes on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

GrahameA

#3 Post by GrahameA » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:00 am

Morning.
blu-dog wrote:After being totally engaged in the "Hunger Games" trilogy and seeing the movie this weekend...my daughter has finally succumbed to the beckoning of the longbow. As her birthday is approaching, she has asked for a longbow so that she can start to attend some shoots with her brothers and I.

So, I'm looking for a cheaper longbow - (to ensure she is going to stick with it first)... Right handed, light poundage. Jess is 14 (approximately 172cm) and finely built, so will need a low poundage draw.
Hmmm...

In the movie Katniss shoots a Recurve and has some nifty looking arrows.

It would be worthwhile looking at some stills from the film so you get a bow that looks the part. Then you get the fun part of making the arrows. :biggrin:
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowinfected

#4 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:22 am

you are so helpful Grahame.
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:20 am

Hi Kevin.
longbowinfected wrote:you are so helpful Grahame.
Yep ..... and I will tell your daughter what they should look like. :biggrin:

Remember the Bow and the Arrows are silver - bit of spray painting req'd. Although as a big hint I would polish a set of Alloys - and then either just keep a coat of Wax on them or spray with clear.

The fletches are a lot more of a challenge - especially those reflective stripes. I made a prototype for a friend and used grey vanes and then applied holographic strips onto the vanes. I really want a good clear photo of the vanes - I am uncertain as to if the vanes on the original are actually clear. Making clear vanes is easy - use take-away food containers.

Now for the bow - note the handle limb setup. IMHO one "Daryl" designed medieval Recurve would be reasonably snazzy - especially after it had been sprayed - and very effective.

p.s. They original arrows are hunting arrows and you need to change the points for target shooting - use Stainless Steel Top Hats from AMSO128.

pps Your daughter wants a set.

ppps You can get MockingJay jewellry - makes a gret stamp to apply the such on arrows and Quivers.

pppps And your daughter still wants a set. :biggrin:

Just because I am in a good mood today - an easy way out... http://www.lancasterarchery.com/capitol ... w-set.html

Blu-Dog. Consider this. Get onto John at AMSO and buy one of his Cabon-Plastic recurves. Spray paint it Silver. He has them in Light Weights. Then all you need to do is make the arrows.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Roadie

#6 Post by Roadie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:59 am

You are very Helpfull Grahame, But I thought the movie was CRAP,didn't enjoy it at all. I must be getting OLD..Cheers Roadie.

blu-dog

#7 Post by blu-dog » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:55 pm

Lol...gee thanks Graham! :)

We were able to identify the types of bow used in the movie - she basically wants a longbow as that's what her brothers and I shoot. (...plus she'd be one of the very few teen girls in our area who shoots longbow, and she likes that idea)
The best trophies I can hope to acquire as a husband, father, friend or hunter are MEMORIES!

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:05 am

Hi Grant.

This is really about make replicas. Something to give Kevin to do over the next week. Not a critique on the film.
Roadie wrote:You are very Helpfull Grahame, But I thought the movie was CRAP,didn't enjoy it at all. I must be getting OLD..Cheers Roadie.
Each to his own. The film ticks a few boxes in my criteria:
* it has a story to tell,
* it had an audience turn up,
* it made a profit.

Dependent on what the author was trying to achieve. I would suggest it has been very succesful. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunger_Games#Sales
Grahame.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:20 am

GrahameA wrote:his is really about make replicas. Something to give Kevin to do over the next week. Not a critique on the film.
Maybe so but I will add that I have not watched it nor do I intend to. From my understanding of the story line it is pretty poor entertainment watching a show where kids are forced to kill each other. :roll: :x

Jeff

Roadie

#10 Post by Roadie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:26 am

GOT it in ONE. Cheers Roadie.

Axefanatic

#11 Post by Axefanatic » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:52 am

I personally found the books an ok read, but refuse to watch the fillums as I have had too many good stories ruined by crap movie adaptations.

But I guess if it can encourage the youngsters to come out and play it has some small value in the larger scheme of things.
Give a man fire, he'll be warm for a few hours. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Chuditch

#12 Post by Chuditch » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:50 am

I think it's great the daughter wanted to get into longbows because she watched the movie (there is a plus right away).

After watching a Barbie movie where Barbie and her mates run around like the three musketeers, I had my four year old daughter pick up one of the plastic safe practise foils (fencing sword) that I bought for her (and myself and the mates lol), in the hope that she would have an interest. She continues to enjoy some 'sword fighting' so as far as I was concerned that Barbie movie just paid for itself.

Critique of the film, Jennifer Lawrence is beautiful and can act, as opposed to Kristen whatsername. The flick is moderately engaging around the action but could have traded some of the outright gruesome violence with suspense. Visually very nicely shot, not too much accent on trying to be futuristic at the expense of reality. As a paranoid reader of Sci fi I tend to have a suspicion that violence based on calories will be a part of the future, perhaps not mine, but some day....

All up the film has Jennifer Lawrence in it, did I say that already? :biggrin:
DjidiDjidi, Nullark Gullart Nyarrt.

clinglish

#13 Post by clinglish » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:05 pm

there was a bowyer on tradgang who made the bows for the movie , he was auctioning off a couple for the childrens charity St Judes Hospital.
heres the link
http://auction1.tradgang.com/noncgi/ult ... 049#000000
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

blu-dog

#14 Post by blu-dog » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:46 pm

Now looking at the Samick Sage... yes - we've changed from the longbow idea, but figure it's a good "budget" option to start with, to ensure she maintains interest (and the reviews on these bows are quite sound). And I've found a supplier who can get them at a fantastic price!!! :biggrin: (looks like her Christmas present is already sorted!)