quivering

Want to sell, buy or trade. Not restricted to archery items.

Moderator: Moderators

Buford

quivering

#1 Post by Buford » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:37 am

i need a back quiver, sick of my hip quiver.
can be new or used but i would prefer not to pay an archery shop $100 or more.
any suggestions?

cheers
buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

tracker

#2 Post by tracker » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:05 am

I have been having a go at making one this week.. It's coming along ok.. I'll take some pics in the next few days and post em.

It's made out of some leather from an old suitcase and I'm camoing it by covering it in auscam from an old pair of army pants. The strap is an old bit of webbing that I sewed an auscam sleeve for. I had the webbing in the garage. Total cost so far is $4.00 for the suitcase from an op shop plus some araldite. Oh and a bit of offcut carpet to line it with but I had that too. :) I am going to line the inside of the strap with fur so it will slip round easy for stalking. :)

I plan to make a complete hide one next but I need to get the hide first! :shock: :oops:

Mick.

Griffo

#3 Post by Griffo » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:11 am

We'll have to work on that in a few weeks hey Tracker?

Luke :D

tracker

#4 Post by tracker » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:40 am

I hope so Luke! :D

Buford

#5 Post by Buford » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:24 pm

well i ain't got an old suitcase, but do ya reckon i could make some kinda 'cat' quiver out of this?........ :P
Attachments
LAZYCAT.jpg
LAZYCAT.jpg (125.81 KiB) Viewed 7047 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:57 pm

Buford,

If you're looking at buying a new quiver please consider the following. I have made quivers for years now and I can tell you that quality leather alone for a back quiver will cost near enough your hundred dollars let alone the hours of labour involved in crafting one. :)

On the safety side, if you intend to use the quiver for hunting - ensure that the leather is thick enough to stop a sharp broadhead slicing through it while in use. Also check how the bottom is fitted as this is often where the tip of a broahead can find a way out, between the bottom and side pieces of leather.

Hope you find a bargain mate. :D

Jeff

erron

#7 Post by erron » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:23 pm

Buford,

I can tell you how to make a cat quiver, but it would only provide fuel for the anti's :!: :!: :!: :lol:

Seriously, I have seen Jeff's quivers and they are the real deal. If you can get the moolah together, do yourself a flavour and buy the quality that lasts long after the price is forgotten.

If Jeff has ceased producing his quivers, you should approach Erich on this site; his quivers are also excellent and the artwork is out of this world!

Cheers,

Erron

Buford

#8 Post by Buford » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:35 am

quality leather alone for a back quiver will cost near enough your hundred dollars let alone the hours of labour involved in crafting one.
:shock:
Really?
if you don't mind me asking, what sort of price are we talking? (ball park)

buford

tracker

#9 Post by tracker » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:43 am

Jeff, after reading your post I think calling the thing I'm making a quiver is a bit generous. More like a sack for arrows plus strap. :D

Your comment on the need to make SURE the broadheads are safe struck home. I've toughened up the inside of the bottom of my sack with a few extra layers of suitcase leather.

Can I ask what sort of leather you suggest for quivers. I noticed recently that they have DNA'ed the leather from the Icemans quiver and it is made of Chamois. He wasn't using steel broadheads though. :wink:

Mick.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:55 pm

Buford & Tracker,

I haven't sold a quiver for a few years now - semi retired an all. I used to sell them for around the $160.00 mark but leather prices have really gone up. I know one fellow who makes one similar and he sells them for $200.00.

I use what is called Bag Leather about 2.8mm thick. It is very strong, pliable and moulds well. Last time I bought a half hide from the tannery it was around the $240.00 - $250.00 for first grade. It has no doubt gone up since then. I normally get three quivers from a good half hide. I use latigo leather for lacing my quivers - bought half a hide and cut my own lacing. I also use split cow hide for making the leather pouch. There are also many hours spent crafting them as well. It is a lot of money but as Erron said above, a quiver like that should last you a very long time.

I have posted a photo that was on another thread about a bow for sale. You can see one of the quivers in the photo under all the other stuff. I have better photos of the quivers but not scanned.

Jeff
Attachments
Adam Stanes 2.jpg
Adam Stanes 2.jpg (94.75 KiB) Viewed 7020 times

Buford

#11 Post by Buford » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:09 pm

thanks Jeff, :wink:

i am currently talking to Erich, trying to figure something out. :wink:

Tuffcity

#12 Post by Tuffcity » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:09 pm

Just put a strap on your hip quiver, depending on what type of hip it is. No, really :D

I took an old hip quiver, put a ring through the belt loop and attached a strap to it. It's one of those models that has the dense foam cup and the rubber 'clip' that holds the arrows in & apart. You just have to wear it on the opposite shoulder from were you wear a normal back quiver. If you're right handed the fletching goes over your left shoulder. When you need an arrow it slides under you arm & you just pop one out. It's handy because you an shift it around, like under your arm if slipping through dense brush, and the arrows stay quiet and secure. Best bloody quiver I've used!

Recycle!

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

snakeeater

Three Rivers Archery

#13 Post by snakeeater » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:57 am

Check out this kit from Three Rivers Archery:

http://www.bowsite2.com/acb/showdetl.cf ... 1&CATID=62

I made a simpler kit and it was no problem, finished it in an afternoon. The nice thing about these kits is they show you the basics for a back quiver and you can then make your own to fit your exact needs. Or yoiu could customize what you get in the kit, like making a bigger/longer gear pouch on the outside, adding shearling wool collar around the top, putting styrofoam in the bottom to hold the broadheads, etc.

The one above is about US$68 plus shipping.

Buford

#14 Post by Buford » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:34 am

thanks guys, something else to think about.

cheers :wink:
Buford

ozlongbow

#15 Post by ozlongbow » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:53 pm

Buford
Didn't like the side quiver (plains style) thing of mine - the one I made? And for leather get the name of that bloke with the deer farm in Karangi - whole skin (with a little hole) for $20 - bargain. Let me know if you want to pursure this I will as Mary Lou for his phoen number.
Now didn't I give you a url for a good American make you own archery gear site? Included how to make a cat quiver that didn't involve your megabuck feline!
See Shrek 2 yet?
Cletus
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

Buford

#16 Post by Buford » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:30 pm

ozlongbow wrote:Buford
Didn't like the side quiver (plains style) thing of mine - the one I made? And for leather get the name of that bloke with the deer farm in Karangi - whole skin (with a little hole) for $20 - bargain. Let me know if you want to pursure this I will as Mary Lou for his phoen number.
Now didn't I give you a url for a good American make you own archery gear site? Included how to make a cat quiver that didn't involve your megabuck feline!
See Shrek 2 yet?
Cletus
Cletus,
in order:- i got nuthin against side quivers, i just want a back quiver.
I couldn't be bothered making my own, i may as well pay a little more and get someone who knows what the hell they are doing to make it! :D
'cat quiver' was just a pun. and no. i ain't see shrek 2 yet.

so..... how YOU doin? :wink: :P

buford

ps.
cletus the editor wrote:phoen
isn't that in Vietnam? :lol:

ozlongbow

#17 Post by ozlongbow » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:40 pm

Buford
Damn, boy! You try to help a friend and what happens? Anyway I know the story, you went to a trad shoot, all the big boys had back quivers, made fun of your girly 3D rig and now you need one on your back so you don't know what arrow you grab, they get hooked up on low hanging branches and if u bend over to tie ur laces everything falls out ... am I right? :lol:
Actually I've never used a back quiver so I wouldn't know.
And why hasn't anyone suggested the old ugh boot and length of rope for our fiscally challenged friend?
Anyway, we is all well - glad you survived your travels. Mel and kids plan Coffs visit in July-Aug so can you give Cal a room for a week? Kidding - like I'd trust my offspring with you.
Cletus

PS Don't be pointin' out puns to me pal. You is heading for a bitch slappin'
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

Buford

#18 Post by Buford » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:50 pm

dang i 've missed you! :lol:

there just aint anyone out there who bites down quite as hard! :lol:

anyway, you ain't far off. i been usin' that hip quiver of yours (ain't nuthin you can say to get me to go to a trad shoot with my fita quiver!) and it only holds 8 arras. so its eother a side jobbie like yours or a back quiver. Don't think i will have a problem with hooking up arrows in the trees, not everyone is 7 feets tall! :D :P
like I'd trust my offspring with you.
What you mean by that??? :shock: :x

oh, wait......................... :)

you've seen how i live. :lol: :P

buford

ozlongbow

#19 Post by ozlongbow » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:36 pm

Buford
Yeah when I visited last even the cat was bitchin' "Dang Buford, why don't ya'll clean up this mess!'. Last thing I hear was you mum wanted danger money to clean up your unit again.
And who needs more than one arrow at a shoot anyway. Oh yeah, ME!! Wait until you come visit up here and do a Mackay Club shoot. I lose or break at least 2 each time I go. And love it.
When you gonna come up now boy? And when you headed for the snow?
I love my bow quiver, btw, I know people who don't like 'em buy i like not having anything on me. Aside from the Camel Bak. And the esky. And the fold out chair. And umbrella.
Anyway, Bullwinkle sez you can add more arrows to a six arrow bow quiver with careful use of twisty ties (finally a use for the 60 you get with the pack of garbage bags) and who are we to doubt him?
Cletus
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

Buford

#20 Post by Buford » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:44 pm

1. at the snow the week after next.
2. never going to come up to see you as long as your talkin to cats.
and 3. mum knows the risks involved in loving me.
And who needs more than one arrow at a shoot anyway
:D the ultimate rhetorical question?

buford

snakeeater

Check out Three Rivers in the US

#21 Post by snakeeater » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:32 am

Three Rivers Archery sells kits to make your own back quivers. I made the smaller one shown on this URL in a couple of hours. They will show you the basics and you can dress them up if you want to with feathers, beading, etc. Just look at the two adult size kits and ignore the junior sized ones.

http://www.bowsite2.com/acb/webpage.cfm ... Page_ID=26

Snakeeater

hubris

#22 Post by hubris » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:37 pm

WRC... I looked into the backquiver thing a month or so back. There's a few suppliers of leather here in Yass, and one guy who makes quivers also. He also talked about the different thicknesses of leather for the side and bottom. I priced it all up (including the tools to make it) and it ended up about $90 for the right leather, about $30 in tools, and another $20 for sheep hide to line the inside.

Even though it was approaching the price of a made one it didn't bother me, I was more interested in making it for the fun. That was until I started sneaking around with a makeshift one on my back in the australian scrub... (not as good as Trackers heavy lined sack :shock: )

In the end it ****** me off so much I just had two arrows looped into the camo fabric that was wrapped around my bow limbs. (I can still hear Adam warning me about the dangers of my makeshift bow quiver)

In the end after stalking through the scrub, and after chatting with you guys and Dave Whiting at the hunt I decided on the bow quiver. I have to agree with Ozlongbow. I hate having stuff rattling around on my back... I like a nice tight sleek backpack with my water and camping necessities... and my bow in my left hand with arrows attached.

It might not get off as many arrows as a Legolas style backquiver, but hopefully I won't be facing 24 orcs all at once either.

WRC where do you live... anywhere near Yass? I could give you the Yass Saddlery number.

I'm aiming to try making my own bow quiver next using just hide, sheepskin and carved bone... I'll let you know how it goes.
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

tracker

#23 Post by tracker » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:43 am

Hubris wrote

It might not get off as many arrows as a Legolas style backquiver, but hopefully I won't be facing 24 orcs all at once either.
You'll be alright matey.. with MY crashhot fastdraw and 2 dozen arrows in MY backquiver I'll do 'em all for you at my "ethical orc range" of 5-10 metres. We'll try NOT to get YOUR crass fumbling on video. :wink: :P

And for anyone who hasn't yet heard.. after they finished filming "The Lord of the Rings" in NZ they didn't put the orcs down.. the buggers just opened the gates and let 'em loose! :shock:
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

hubris

#24 Post by hubris » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:26 am

Well, if it gets to that stage I'll bring out my TradRock, TradCursing and TradRunning skills.

erron

#25 Post by erron » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:57 pm

You mean there is an ethical orc range! Guess that explains Buford's survival into the present day :!:

:twisted: :shock: :D

Erron

hubris

#26 Post by hubris » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:31 pm

Is there a orc liberation society? :shock: :wink:

tracker

#27 Post by tracker » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:45 pm

hubris wrote:Is there a orc liberation society? :shock: :wink:
There WILL be after I publish the photo's of you braining them with a rock because your bow quiver didn't work. :P

Erron, of COURSE there is an ethical orc range.. like all of Sauron's minions there is an acceptable and ethical range for taking them down with a bow. My own personal fantasy archery goal is to one day harvest a Nazgul with a traditional bow. I'm yet to spot one on my hunting jaunts.. not even a scat. But I KNOW they may be just around the next hill waiting... :twisted:
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

erron

#28 Post by erron » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:47 pm

Yep, jus' burn your jock strap and yer in mate!

:lol:

Erron

hubris

#29 Post by hubris » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:56 pm

I'd prefer Frodo and Sams furry little feet mounted on my wall :shock: :twisted:

heheh... Erron... you'd be surprised at the amount of jock strap burning going on in the ACT!

erron

#30 Post by erron » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:09 pm

Oh Nooooooooooooooooooh I wouldn't !!! :D