Looking For

Want to sell, buy or trade. Not restricted to archery items.

Moderator: Moderators

Jaydo

Looking For

#1 Post by Jaydo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:31 pm

G'day all,

i know its a long shot, ( no pun intended, ok well maybe slightly) :lol:

but due to a recent change in hobby ( read recent loss of mind) i have decided to learn to tie flies.

the subtle art of fly fishing has always interested me, kind of like shooting a trad bow.

so i was hopefully looking for any offcuts or peices of Goat, deer, and maybe fox hair anyone may have and didnt want, or wouldnt mind parting company with for some cash...

if you would prefer you can Pm me and we can sort something out, i will quite happily cover any postage cost.

thanks guys,
Jaydo
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

clinglish

Re: Looking For

#2 Post by clinglish » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:24 pm

I have some offcuts of goat, deer, fox and cat as well as a bit of roo. Flick me your address and i will dig some out to post
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

Brett Finger

#3 Post by Brett Finger » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:39 am

Jado,
shoot me you address champ, i have a box of fly tieing materials hers, will force myself to part with some LOL...
also with salt water flay rember.... spot-light is your friend.heheheh
Fog.. :D
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

Sparra

#4 Post by Sparra » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:53 pm

Next time you see Mozza on here ask him what he uses to make flies... :lol: :lol:
Cheers...Sparra

There is always someone doing it tougher than you...

Gilly

#5 Post by Gilly » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:20 pm

Fly tying is something that I have always wanted to try, I have the patience of a hand grenade though so maybe its not a good idea! :wink:

bigbob

#6 Post by bigbob » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:28 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Gilly wrote:Fly tying is something that I have always wanted to try, I have the patience of a hand grenade though so maybe its not a good idea! :wink:
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

wal

#7 Post by wal » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:11 pm

Jaydo, are you on the flylife website mate that is a spot for good info and some gear often pops up,if not I think you should it can help. Luke Davis was trying to sell some gear on TGBA before it crashed, it's up again and I see he is still posting so he may be worth contacting.

When I first the bloke at the tackle shop did me a big favour, he told me to hold off on the tying gear for a fortnight and sold me a book to read , pursuit of fly tying , by George Rowney. It's fairly dated now 1987, but it showed that you could make/adapt some gear yourself , I still use and love copper pot scrubber as a rib, a rabbit skin gives a good supply of dubbing , also a possum the same (road kill of course :wink: ) Purple swamp hen will give you the Craigs Night Time, sheeps wool off the fence after its sun bleached to remove a lot of the lanoline is easy to dye and makes good nymph bodies, Llama or alpaca , i can't tell the difference makes great dubbing, comes in all colours and can be picked of the fence if you know of a paddock with a few in it, any road kill bird will give you good feathers, love the colours on owls, hawks etc

And youtube will show you how to tie anything you want technique wise, wish that was around when I started.

Cheers
Wayne

Jaydo

#8 Post by Jaydo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:06 pm

Thanks Guys,

Yeah Wal i am a member there, thats where i got my inspiration from :D
thanks for the heads up on the different materials too, interested to see what can be made out of every day items

Jaydo
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference