wtb horse bow

Want to sell, buy or trade. Not restricted to archery items.

Moderator: Moderators

terryzac

wtb horse bow

#1 Post by terryzac » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:51 pm

im looking for a horse bow if any of you fine people have one that you dont want anymore and would like to sell
thank you
terry

woodie

Re: wtb horse bow

#2 Post by woodie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:39 pm

what type of horse bow are you after? I got a korean "windfighter" horse bow off John McDonald, it is not a static tip type but it is a very nice little bow. It was around $220 and is 50#. It is probibly nicer than my hungarian Kassia.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

Blinkybill

#3 Post by Blinkybill » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:38 pm

G'Day Terry :)
I have a 42# Wildwood Archery tartar horsebow that I bought about 2 years ago I think. If you're interested I could send you pictures?
Cheers,

Ben
Yer, I had a really cool name but someone stole it from me...

terryzac

#4 Post by terryzac » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:40 am

ben and woodie, what is the draw length of the bows. ive got a 29" draw
thank you
terry

woodie

#5 Post by woodie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:39 pm

I think the korean windfighter's can come to 30". Not sure though.
Here is a photo of my bow at 28 and a bit.
woodie
Attachments
horse bow at 28.jpg
horse bow at 28.jpg (39.08 KiB) Viewed 3240 times

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:26 pm

Hi Terry,

I do not know if the Windfinder in the following link is similar to the model that Woodie has?

The one shown in the clip appears to cater for a long draw. Note the arrows are being shot from the other side of the handle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH-paWsH ... re=related

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

woodie

#7 Post by woodie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:38 pm

That looks like the one that that I have grey beard. They are a nice little bow to shoot.
I have not learnt how to shoot thumb ring as yet though.
woodie

GrahameA

Korean Bow

#8 Post by GrahameA » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:03 am

Morning All.
woodie wrote:That looks like the one that that I have grey beard. They are a nice little bow to shoot.
I would agree with that. The one I currently have is lovely to shoot - especially with light arrows. Having shot a couple of the lower priced Korean Bows for me it would be a clear winning choice.
woodie wrote:I have not learnt how to shoot thumb ring as yet though.
Whilst I can I usually shoot it with a mediterranean release.

As said earlier available from AMSO128.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowinfected

#9 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:27 am

I saw some wee little tackers picking up these horse bows [they wereused to those light red compounds/recurves] and nailing 3D animals with these bows of John's. They fell in love with them and would not put them back on the display table. Big beaming smiles. Robert McKenzie was showing them to all the archers at Ironfest. About the sweetest bows I have seen for the dough. They beat a lot of higher credentialled bows hands down. They feel great like the bow is a part of you. Almost tempted to change to horse bow.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

woodie

#10 Post by woodie » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:54 pm

go on Kev you know you want to as Jess likes your long bow dosn't she?
woodie

the irish one

#11 Post by the irish one » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi terry, I have a#42 toth mongol horsebow (horn) and a #56 toth hun horsebow (32 inch draw) that I have been toying with the idea of selling, if your interested send me a p.m Ian

longbowinfected

#12 Post by longbowinfected » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Woodie they do not allow left handed shooters in horsebow tournaments or so I was informed by the Professor.
Besides which horse is going to run with me on its back?
They do not call it draft horsebow, elephant with a castle bow or donkey bow do they?

That wil keep you quiet for a while...

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

woodie

#13 Post by woodie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:51 pm

you don't have to ride a horse to shoot them, do you?
I will not go there about horse size, I'm not the smallest of men eather.
woodie

longbowinfected

#14 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:38 am

Why cal them horse bows then?

The French have a special horse for guys like you and me...percherons

No doubt GA will explain further unless he is on the bus down to Robert's

Kev

GrahameA

#15 Post by GrahameA » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:41 pm

Afternoon Kev.
longbowinfected wrote:Why cal them horse bows then?
That is a good question. I put it down to someone calling them Horsebows because they looked like some of the bows used by Nomads of the Steppes and the name stuck.

IMHO it is an appalling description of a wide range of bows, not all of which where designed to be used from horseback.

We would be far better off talking about the bows by their origin or by describing the bow. e.g. Laminated composite recurve with siyahs or laminated recurve with working recurves. And how long is the bow? Is it short like an Assyrian or long like a Chinese. My Italian Renaissance/Medieval Recurve is as much a "Horsebow" as any other. You can even shoot ELB's or Yumis off horseback.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by greybeard » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:51 pm

Perhaps it would be prudent to describe bows by their profile and the materials used in their construction.
Generalization undoubtedly leads to confusion.
I guess that any bow able to be used proficiently whilst on horseback could be called a horse bow.

The following is an extract from the book “Bows of the World” authored by David Gray and describes the transition from hunting/warfare on foot to horseback.

Plains Bows
The tall straight knot-free timber common for the eastern Woodlands was non-existent or at least very rare on the open plains. During the pre-horse days, Plains Indians apparently traded either for staves or for ready made bows with sources in the Rocky Mountain region. Hamm (Ed., 1994) describes two Plains bows discovered in arid areas of Texas, one from a grave and another from a cave. One is a very long bow (75 inches) resembling the Meare Heath and the other is a 57-inch round cross section with a set back handle and limbs with pronounced string follow, both imports from more western sites.

The Coming of the Horse
The horse did not exist in North America until it was introduced by the Spanish in the early 1600s. The horse entered the U.S. through the Spanish stock-raising settlements in the Santa Fe area of New Mexico. The southern Plains Indians, such as the Kiowa and the Apache, were using the horse by about 1650, but it took approximately a century before horse culture spread to the northern tribes such as the North Blackfoot, Flatheads, Piegans, and the Mandans and Hidatsa.
We can view the time frame for horse culture as intertwined with that of the buffalo. If the buffalo became scarce by 1875 (and nearly extinct by 1890), for instance, it means that the southern Indians had just over two centuries for the horse/buffalo culture to appear and disappear, while the northern tribes had it for a little over a century. Of course, the Plains Indians hunted the buffalo on foot before the horse, and the horse continued to be used after the buffalo disappeared.

The Horse Bow
Two hundred years, for southern Plains Indians, and even less for the northern tribes, is not much time to develop a fundamentally different kind of bow and its accoutrements. In light of the evidence, however, we must once again admire the intelligence, adaptability, and inventiveness of the Native Americans. Horse bows were either heavily sinewed wood bows or horn bows. The sinewed-back wood bows ranged from 40 to 55 inches long and were a continuation of the pre-horse days when hunting and warfare were conducted on foot. The pressure to shorten the bow may have been necessary for the close encounter of warfare rather than for the buffalo chase. While the buffalo hunt demanded incredible skill and courage, manoeuvrability, such as shooting under the horse’s neck during battle, may have provided greater impetus for shortening the bow. At any rate, the partial shift to a shorter bow, and heavier reliance on sinew backing was coupled with a shorter draw of 20 to 25 inches. T.M. Hamilton (1982) reminds us that longer bows were often used, accommodating a full 28 to 30-inch draw, and that some of these longer bows may actually have been horn bows.
The Plains horn bow was unique in that it had no wood core, just horn in the belly and sinew forming the back, approximately at a 1:1 proportion. Elkhorn and mountain sheep horn were used with great success. These ranged quite a bit in length, but are commonly found between 33 and 40 inches with some reaching 50 inches. Cast and penetration were enhanced by the horn. At close range in a buffalo chase, these bows could drive an arrow into the vital heart and lung area. Often more than one arrow was required, yet a kill from a single arrow was not uncommon. Sometimes an arrow even penetrated clear through the animal.
Any horn bow requires a much broader repertoire of knowledge, skill, and time than the self or sinew-backed bow. High quality horn is often difficult to find, and the time invested for construction is great, often months of drying time must pass between applying layers of sinew. All this adds up to an expensive bow. The horn bow of yesteryear, as well as today’s re-creation, is the Cadillac of the bow. Economics dictate that not every hunter or warrior goes to the field with a horn bow in hand. Many of the Plains people undoubtedly used the sinew-backed version.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Blinkybill

#17 Post by Blinkybill » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:24 pm

Hi Terry,
I think my bow goes to a 30" draw.

I just call them static tip bows. :)
Yer, I had a really cool name but someone stole it from me...

terryzac

#18 Post by terryzac » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:08 am

thanks for all your help guys. i decided to go with one of johns

terry